MGB: Breaking news -- UNT's Chris Jones to transfer

Last year we had to replace Tony Mitchell and Roger Franklin in the post. Benford's replacements finished 14th out of 16 teams in rebounding margin, in a down year for CUSA. We were able to lean on decent guard play mainly consisting of JJ holdovers.

Maybe you weren't a huge fan of CJ. But we're replacing him, Alzee (1000 point scorer), Brandan Walton (always came through in March), and Vertail Vaughns (7.3 ppg and a former starter on an NCAA tournament team), with a bunch of guys who had no other offers.

Between our 4 incoming guards, they had a combined 1 offer from a Division 1 school not named North Texas. Todd Eaglin had 0 other offers, Carrington Ward had 0 other offers, Deandre Harris had 0 other offers, and Greg White-Pittman had 1 offer in New Orleans. This could very easily lead to bottom of the conference guards coupled with our bottom of the conference post play. Just sad to see how quickly this program has fallen.

• Upvote 3

Please review the number of players that have left the women's program (under Mike Peterson and Shanice Stephens) Why is Tony Benford always the fall guy?

Are you looking for an answer other than the obvious "it's women's basketball"?

We're having fun here, no?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Are you looking for an answer other than the obvious "it's women's basketball"?

We're having fun here, no?

This...

Women's Basketball draws about 1/10th of the interest that men's basketball draws. Plus, comparing anything to Shanice Stpehens is an obvious ender.

Look, this was basically foretold after Year 1 of being Benford'd. PLayers don't want to play for coaches that are basically in over their heads and have no idea to run a program. That happens everywhere when losing happens. What doesn't happen everywhere is to absolutely know, without a doubt, that the head coach who is leading this mess WILL be back at a bare minimum of another season, but most likely two more years. He just flat out costs too much for the university to buy him out before that, based on their views of athletic spending. Now, with the accountintg mess that the university is dealing with, it just confirms that Benford will be here for a while longer. Anywhere else in college athletics, with a school this size, there would be so many changes, it wouldn't even be funny. Not here, though. I've gone on record as saying that RV should be fired for this mess--if you cannot fire Benford because he costs too much, then fire the guy who hired him and gave him a contract that looks like an albatross right now. At different points, he has hired Todd Dodge, who pushed the snowball down the mountain and caused an avalanche leaving as the worst coach in school history, hired Shanice Stephens who was the worst coach in school history in that sport, and now has Benford on the list, who can only thank Vic Trilli right now for being a worse coach record-wise here, but Trilli didn't take over a program that was on the rise like Benford did. Again, anywhere else in America, the AD would've been fired years ago for having two of these hires, if not just one, but here at UNT, we keep the guy in charge, let him keep making hires, and extend his contract.

And that's why we will always be known as a music and arts school to the rest of the state and country.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

And that's why we will always be known as a music and arts school to the rest of the state and country.

Sorry, but I don't understand your logic on this part. Because of how we run our Athletics Department, we will always be known as a music and arts school? Just so I understand what you are saying, because our administration has not put as much emphasis on athletics, our business, engineering, science, and other programs will never be able to achieve and become recognized and we will be forever only known as a fine arts school. Did I get that right?

• Upvote 3

Sorry, but I don't understand your logic on this part. Because of how we run our Athletics Department, we will always be known as a music and arts school? Just so I understand what you are saying, because our administration has not put as much emphasis on athletics, our business, engineering, science, and other programs will never be able to achieve and become recognized and we will be forever only known as a fine arts school. Did I get that right?

I think his point is that the administration and, more importantly, the culture surrounding UNT revolves around music and fine arts. That they care more about those things than anything else.

Maybe it's just a perception, but UNT has done nothing to change that perception.

Edited by UNT90

I think his point is that the administration and, more importantly, the culture surrounding UNT revolves around music and fine arts. That they care more about those things than anything else.

Maybe it's just a perception, but UNT has done nothing to change that perception.

If that is his point, he fails to mention anything outside of athletics that would allow one to draw that conclusion. I stand by my post.

• Upvote 1

I wonder where people get the idea that having a top-notch college of music is a detriment to the university? Rice has an excellent music program. Miami has an excellent music program. So do other universities that are well-respected for their other academic fields and for their athletics. If colleges/programs other than music aren't getting the attention they want, it probably just means that those other programs need to pick up their game and perform better.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

UNT90 basically answered it for me, but yes, we are known for our music and arts programs. Its what we do best and its what we love being recognized for. For that to change, it would require a complete re-focusing on other areas, whether athletically or in other parts of academia or the arts.

Look, you have to be well-known for something. At most state schools that are large, like we are, you are known for certain academic criteria. For a school like A&M, its engineering and science. At Texas, they are well-known for just about everything--from business to engineering to law. UH has a great business school. We are excellent at education (teachers) and have a solid reputation for our business school in the DFW area.

But the other schools I mentioned have all decided to pour their heart and soul into athletics, since its a big way to get alumni and students involved together at the university. We have never done that--and I'm not even saying we are wrong because of it. The world loves music and arts just as much as athletics, or at least its close, depending on who you talk to. I just happen to be the guy who loves sports, just like most guys in Texas. That's what I was trying to convey. Its not a knock on being a music and arts school, but it is talking about what UNT puts its resources and heart into outside of academic interests.

Edited by untjim1995

I wonder where people get the idea that having a top-notch college of music is a detriment to the university? Rice has an excellent music program. Miami has an excellent music program. So do other universities that are well-respected for their other academic fields and for their athletics. If colleges/programs other than music aren't getting the attention they want, it probably just means that those other programs need to pick up their game and perform better.

So does Indiana...probably the best in the country among public institutions. And if you ask anyone what they think of about Indiana, the most prevalent answer will always be that they are a basketball school with an incredibly passionate fanbase.

I hate it for Jordan but maybe this will send a message to RV that the basketball program is coming apart. I have almost totally lost interest since JJ left. Even this thread is too depressing to read. Help!

I just took a screen capture of the breaking news Tweet that came across my screen about Chris leaving and sent it to RV with a whole litany of commentary about Benford's stunningly awful performance here and asked RV when he was going to just admit that he made a mistake and cut his losses. This is a travesty for all the dollars the donors give to the UNT athletics program. Benford needs to be fired/bought out/run out on a rail/whatever it takes to get him OUT THE DOOR.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is it possible RV will address the Benford-Pettersen issues at the next quarterly Mean Green Club?

The financial issues facing UNT is not going to be good for athletics. Like in buying out coaches contracts.

I would gladly start taking up a collection for the "buy out Benford" fund. Army of Dad and I joked about bringing a big pickle jar last season and setting it up during the games to start the collection. We gave the poor season ticket sales guy all kinds of grief about renewing our season tickets last year. Ultimately, we bought them because we like our seats and hate to lose them whenever Benford is gone and the program (hopefully) starts a turnaround to the days of 20-win seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We gave the poor season ticket sales guy all kinds of grief about renewing our season tickets last year. Ultimately, we bought them because we like our seats and hate to lose them whenever Benford is gone and the program (hopefully) starts a turnaround to the days of 20-win seasons.

We recently had a similar discussion in our family as well. Getting more and more difficult to justify the expense of buying season tickets given we have first and second row seats, especially with the I35E road construction ramping up.

So does Indiana...probably the best in the country among public institutions. And if you ask anyone what they think of about Indiana, the most prevalent answer will always be that they are a basketball school with an incredibly passionate fanbase.

There isn't a public university in the nation that I (or anyone else) could flat-out say has a better college of music than UNT. Indiana and UNT are the two largest. As far as comparing quality, it's somewhat of an apples/oranges comparison...IU has the clearly superior opera program, but IU couldn't dream of comparing to UNT's jazz studies department.

We recently had a similar discussion in our family as well. Getting more and more difficult to justify the expense of buying season tickets given we have first and second row seats, especially with the I35E road construction ramping up.

Yeah, our seats are about the same as yours I think.

I suspect we will have another long decision process before this coming season and we live in town so 35 only affects me on my commute home and not the family on our trip to the Pit.

Rick has already responded to me and I thought ya'll would be interested in his response (there's no promise of relief):

Thanks for your e-mail. I know it's hard to understand the last two seasons but you have to be inside to really know what has happened and is going on. I did the same thing with Johnny in his first three years when he had arguably one of the best players ever, Chris Davis and he still didn't win for five years. Look how long it took Kermit Davis at MTSU.
As in football, I believed it would take time. A year ago people were complaining that Dan may not be the right guy. Of course three years in it is different. And Dan had to do it getting rid of some good players left by the former staff and adding his own.
Tony wasn't left with as much as people think and Chris' s leaving was for selfish reasons not playing reasons. I believed in Johnny and I know I had to give him time to make it work.Once it did it lasted a while. I think we owe Tony the same. I hope you'll support that through this year.
GO MEAN GREEN!
Rick V
  • Upvote 5

Rice and Miami are known for business not their music programs. I read an article lately that music, fine arts, and journalism are 3 of the top 10 worst degrees to get right now from a job outlook. Wonder if that will change the schools focus?

Rick has already responded to me and I thought ya'll would be interested in his response (there's no promise of relief):

Thanks for your e-mail. I know it's hard to understand the last two seasons but you have to be inside to really know what has happened and is going on. I did the same thing with Johnny in his first three years when he had arguably one of the best players ever, Chris Davis and he still didn't win for five years. Look how long it took Kermit Davis at MTSU.
As in football, I believed it would take time. A year ago people were complaining that Dan may not be the right guy. Of course three years in it is different. And Dan had to do it getting rid of some good players left by the former staff and adding his own.
Tony wasn't left with as much as people think and Chris' s leaving was for selfish reasons not playing reasons. I believed in Johnny and I know I had to give him time to make it work.Once it did it lasted a while. I think we owe Tony the same. I hope you'll support that through this year.
GO MEAN GREEN!
Rick V

No matter what BS RV throws out, Benford is in way over his head and it's time RV packed his shiat and headed back to Southern Miss, tired of his endless excuses.

• Upvote 4