MGB: Breaking news -- UNT's Chris Jones to transfer

Rice and Miami are known for business not their music programs. I read an article lately that music, fine arts, and journalism are 3 of the top 10 worst degrees to get right now from a job outlook. Wonder if that will change the schools focus?

Not only that but it doesn't put the post grad big money back into the school

Rice and Miami are known for business not their music programs.

Because you don't know anything about music programs, no offense intended. Anyone who knows anything about college music programs highly respects those two programs, especially Miami. And Rice is very well-respected in several fields other than business. And yet Rice's and Miami's respected music schools are able to coexist with their also well-known other areas.

I read an article lately that music, fine arts, and journalism are 3 of the top 10 worst degrees to get right now from a job outlook. Wonder if that will change the schools focus?

As far as music and fine arts go, that's nothing new. No one has ever enrolled in a music or fine arts program because they were enamored with all the job opportunities available upon graduation. And no, I don't think it will change any school's outlook; as the best universities are typically bastions of culture in addition to providing more pragmatic job training.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Because you don't know anything about music programs, no offense intended. Anyone who knows anything about college music programs highly respects those two programs, especially Miami. And Rice is very well-respected in several fields other than business. And yet Rice's and Miami's respected music schools are able to coexist with their also well-known other areas.

As far as music and fine arts go, that's nothing new. No one has ever enrolled in a music or fine arts program because they were enamored with all the job opportunities available upon graduation. And no, I don't think it will change any school's outlook; as the best universities are typically bastions of culture in addition to providing more pragmatic job training.

You are correct, I don't know anything about music programs. However, my brother graduated from Miami and I text him and asked about their Music program. He wasn't aware they even had one. I don't really care how good a schools music program is or isn't, I just wish NT would concentrate more on business and engineering so in the future, we wouldn't have one of the smallest endowments in the nation.

• Upvote 1

Rick has already responded to me and I thought ya'll would be interested in his response (there's no promise of relief):

Thanks for your e-mail. I know it's hard to understand the last two seasons but you have to be inside to really know what has happened and is going on. I did the same thing with Johnny in his first three years when he had arguably one of the best players ever, Chris Davis and he still didn't win for five years. Look how long it took Kermit Davis at MTSU.
As in football, I believed it would take time. A year ago people were complaining that Dan may not be the right guy. Of course three years in it is different. And Dan had to do it getting rid of some good players left by the former staff and adding his own.
Tony wasn't left with as much as people think and Chris' s leaving was for selfish reasons not playing reasons. I believed in Johnny and I know I had to give him time to make it work.Once it did it lasted a while. I think we owe Tony the same. I hope you'll support that through this year.
GO MEAN GREEN!
Rick V

:no:

Not good stuff here.

• Upvote 1

I would gladly start taking up a collection for the "buy out Benford" fund. Army of Dad and I joked about bringing a big pickle jar last season and setting it up during the games to start the collection. We gave the poor season ticket sales guy all kinds of grief about renewing our season tickets last year. Ultimately, we bought them because we like our seats and hate to lose them whenever Benford is gone and the program (hopefully) starts a turnaround to the days of 20-win seasons.

You will be able to get them in 3 years easy.

Probably can get better seats for cheaper by then.

Rick has already responded to me and I thought ya'll would be interested in his response (there's no promise of relief):

Thanks for your e-mail. I know it's hard to understand the last two seasons but you have to be inside to really know what has happened and is going on. I did the same thing with Johnny in his first three years when he had arguably one of the best players ever, Chris Davis and he still didn't win for five years. Look how long it took Kermit Davis at MTSU.

As in football, I believed it would take time. A year ago people were complaining that Dan may not be the right guy. Of course three years in it is different. And Dan had to do it getting rid of some good players left by the former staff and adding his own.

Tony wasn't left with as much as people think and Chris' s leaving was for selfish reasons not playing reasons. I believed in Johnny and I know I had to give him time to make it work.Once it did it lasted a while. I think we owe Tony the same. I hope you'll support that through this year.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Rick V

Freaking unbelievable.

Blame the players. Blame Chris. But NEVER BLAME THE MAN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM!

And the circumstances between Benford taking over and JJ taking over couldn't be MORE DIFFERENT!

Fine, RV. You want to give Benford 5 F'n years to restore what he destroyed? Fine. If he doesn't get it done, will you agree to quit? Because its clear you will never be fired.

Easiest job in America, folks. AD at UNT. No expectations.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You are correct, I don't know anything about music programs. However, my brother graduated from Miami and I text him and asked about their Music program. He wasn't aware they even had one. I don't really care how good a schools music program is or isn't, I just wish NT would concentrate more on business and engineering so in the future, we wouldn't have one of the smallest endowments in the nation.

Your brother sounds like some North Texas students and football. Except he's a little worse, since Miami is nationally recognized for their school of music.

The highlighted part of your post is key. Some people make it sound as if UNT needs to become worse in music to become better in business and engineering. It just ain't so; and better programs all the way around help everybody.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sad thing is RV is too pig headed to get that Benford will NEVER be forgiven for the 2012 season.

Ever.

Sad to see that we will suck ass for another 3 years.

Really wish he would have addressed the crap ass recruiting that has occurred lately, but that wouldn't fit RV's narrative.

Edited by UNT90

Here is Tasty's post. It is a sad day indeed when one of the most knowledgable and hardcore fans gives up the ghost.

I can't believe RV is still rolling out the narrative of blaming the players. Is he now a basketball talent evaluator? If not, I guess he is relying on he very coach that will blame anyone to save his job for this opinion?

It's so so so so freaking sorry to blame a roster that just about every Sun Belt Coach picked to win the West in our last year as member as being talent deficient.

I guess Benford knows better than all those other Belt coaches, eh RV?

I'll go even further. I will recommend not attending basketball games if asked by anyone.

I won't be, so it really doesn't matter that much.

Your brother sounds like some North Texas students and football. Except he's a little worse, since Miami is nationally recognized for their school of music.

The highlighted part of your post is key. Some people make it sound as if UNT needs to become worse in music to become better in business and engineering. It just ain't so; and better programs all the way around help everybody.

My brother was very involved in a fraternity and went to every football game, he just wasn't aware that Miami had a good music program. I am not arguing that Miami's music program is nationally recognized. I am saying that a small % of the people know that, it really doesn't impress anybody outside the music world. Having a top notch music and fine arts program hasn't helped our endowment at all, those majors just don't make much money, on average. I am not saying become worse in them I would just like to see NT concentrate more on business and engineering so we can cultivate higher earning alums.

Pulling the "it's going to take him time to turn this around" card again. Because we weren't coming off 3 straight sun belt title game appearances, or returning all 5 starters including a preseason top 5 overall NBA prospect in Tony Mitchell. Instead he compares this to how Mac turned around the football program. I guess Dodge's tenure was pretty similar to last 4 years of JJ's run.

• Upvote 2

Pulling the "it's going to take him time to turn this around" card again. Because we weren't coming off 3 straight sun belt title game appearances, or returning all 5 starters including a preseason top 5 overall NBA prospect in Tony Mitchell. Instead he compares this to how Mac turned around the football program. I guess Dodge's tenure was pretty similar to last 4 years of JJ's run.

It's about furthering an agenda at this point.

And it's sad.

Edited by UNT90

Tony wasn't left with as much as people think and Chris' s leaving was for selfish reasons not playing reasons.

Let's look at the bolded part first.

RV, YOUR ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT billed that team as the most talented team in NT history. YOUR ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT hyped that team up as being capable of great things. And, guess what RV, NATIONAL PUBLICATIONS AGREED WITH YOU pre-season. That the team he inherited was coming off of an appearance in the Sun Belt tournament final...and within the year was being curb stomped in the first round is proof that you're full of it!!!

As to the underlined part.

Isn't it amazing that EVERY player that regresses or jumps ship under Benford was a locker room cancer? That every time a guy who we would have put front and center on the schedule poster decides to leave we throw him under the bus as "selfish". Hmmm

• Upvote 6