I think if he violated any organizational bylaws prohibiting that type of behavior or attitude or whatever, then he should face whatever consequences the violation specifies.

but if he's just a racist...then i don't see how they can force him out...

• Upvote 1

I have no idea why he has not said anything publicly to try and curb this. He's letting this gaping wound fester.

I guess he either believes any publicity is good publicity, or he is getting horrible legal advice. It just cost him, because Silver will succeed in getting the other owners to force him out.

Can't trust hoes.

Yes, the main takeaway from this whole thing is that he has bad PR handlers.

• Upvote 1

I eagerly await certain gmg.com posters to come to his defense.

I look forward to the upcoming legal battles this will likely spawn. Sterling is still married to his wife, albeit estranged, and so the property laws for California could come into play. Have to love communal property in a marriage. Then there is the questionable legality of the "tape"; if the conversation was illegally recorded, then what?

Edited by UNTFan23

I think if Silver could have forced a vote on getting him removed he would have already. However, the NBA constitution states what it takes to be held up for that action, and being a racist jackwagon isn't one of them.

Silver CAN suspend him from all NBA activities. I think they will do that, and attempt to force him to sell the team. If free agents won't sign there, if Doc Rivers really quits, if the fans don't buy season tickets, it will be a huge pressure on him to sell.

I say pressure, and not force. Dude is a billionaire with a very large income stream. That arena could be empty and he could float it for a decade.

However, I think the public pressure would make him sell.

I think if Silver could have forced a vote on getting him removed he would have already. However, the NBA constitution states what it takes to be held up for that action, and being a racist jackwagon isn't one of them.

Silver CAN suspend him from all NBA activities. I think they will do that, and attempt to force him to sell the team. If free agents won't sign there, if Doc Rivers really quits, if the fans don't buy season tickets, it will be a huge pressure on him to sell.

I say pressure, and not force. Dude is a billionaire with a very large income stream. That arena could be empty and he could float it for a decade.

Excellent post. 100% agree.

Public pressure is obviously not making him do anything. It looks like he just doesn't care.

Public pressure is obviously not making him do anything. It looks like he just doesn't care.

What I meant is public pressure that forces sponsors to pull out, stunts any possible business deals, etc.

Make it such a money hole that he would rather just sell the program, get out of the limelight, and enjoy his money.

What I meant is public pressure that forces sponsors to pull out, stunts any possible business deals, etc.

Make it such a money hole that he would rather just sell the program, get out of the limelight, and enjoy his money.

That's happening now. They've already lost a ton of sponsors. He still doesn't appear to be remorseful. I bet the other owners' pressure on him will have more of an effect. For now, he seems to be happy doing whatever he wants to do/saying whatever he wants to say and appears to be defiant to whatever anyone thinks about it.

Clippers fans would be thrilled if someone else bought the team, but that was true before all of this went down.

What I want to know is what the heck happened in 2006-07 in the wake of the housing suit he was in the middle of losing? How did the statements he made then, on public record, get buried in this round the clock news cycle we've been living in for the past 10-15 years??! Sterling should have gone down then. But it takes a secret tape recording being made by an ex-girlfriend in a civil suit battle with Sterling's current wife to actually get enough headlines to get the ball rolling??

I mean, I know our media sucks these days, but come on guys!!

I remember reading about Donald Sterling's racial issues all the way back in the early to mid '00's. I think the main reason they never were reported far beyond the LA Weekly was the Clippers were irrelevant.

Were his coaches and players aware of those obviously more significant issues then? If so, why weren't they so bold to take a stand then?

I eagerly await certain gmg.com posters to come to his defense.

Cause in your mind, anyone that doesn't agree with you is a racist.

Sterling is like many of a certain elitist class who constantly preach the right thing in public, but thinks it doesn't apply to him personally because he has special rules. And he convinces himself that it's ok by telling himself how much he does for the poor black man who could be nothing without his help. And he believes this has to be that way, because he has an NAACP award, after all.

I mean, he gives lip service to black people and throws them the scraps from his table, doesn't that allow him to not associate with them if he pleases?

He is a piece of crap and I'm glad the NBA kicked him out of the league. People who hide their real ugly beliefs behind political correctness are the worst kind out there.

Glad he was exposed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I look forward to the upcoming legal battles this will likely spawn. Sterling is still married to his wife, albeit estranged, and so the property laws for California could come into play. Have to love communal property in a marriage. Then there is the questionable legality of the "tape"; if the conversation was illegally recorded, then what?

California is a two party consent state. So, Sterling's mistress could actually be prosecuted for recording the conversation (never happen) OR, and this is the big one, be sued civilly for damages by Sterling. She may have just given away any slight claim to any of Sterling's assets that she may or may not have:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/california-recording-law

I'm sure the girlfriend will claim the tape was made in a one party consent state to avoid the legal ramifications (if she is smart).

Edited by UNT90

Were his coaches and players aware of those obviously more significant issues then? If so, why weren't they so bold to take a stand then?

I mean....who knows? I know the Clippers have had players through the years say Sterling made them feel uncomfortable and Elgin Baylor claimed racism was involved in his firing. I doubt the slum lord dealings ever got much traction. Hell, they never got a whole lot here outside an article or two in the LA Times. The LA Weekly is not a widely read publication - it's like the Los Angeles version of the Dallas Observer or something. They're the only place I ever saw a hatchet take down of Sterling, but it's such a far left publication, one has to take most of what they say with a grain of salt.

Edited by CMJ