UNT #122 in returning starters

pastorgrant

I am excited to see what these coaches can do with these young talented men we have. We have some guys that are ready to play and have been waiting for a chance. It is always more fun when other teams doubt us, and this is a good reason for others to doubt us. Can not wait for us to prove them wrong. Bring it!

We definitely won't be as strong as last year, especially on defense. There is not a huge dropoff in talent at most positions but there will be a big void in leadership and that's important for a team that won't be quite as confident at the start of the season.

Under Dodge and early McCarney the starters played nearly the entire game but last year the talent was much closer at most positions and more players saw the field. In spite of the loss of starters I believe that we have as many or more lettermen than usual.

My biggest fear is again the defensive line. Alex Lincoln played a lot last year but the other three positions are really suspect. I don't see anyone with the ability to replace Bellazin and McCoy, who had productive years. In spite of the loss of several offensive stars I think that you will see improvement in the numbers and more diversity,.

The schedule, especially the conference schedule, is kind. I can see us winning five or maybe all six home games. I see us winning 7-8 games next year. Not bad, considering the player losses that we incurred.

I am excited to see what these coaches can do with these young talented men we have. We have some guys that are ready to play and have been waiting for a chance. It is always more fun when other teams doubt us, and this is a good reason for others to doubt us. Can not wait for us to prove them wrong. Bring it!

Like about 99% of C-USA's coaches and fans on the C-USA message board last Spring/Summer many of whom just 10 (+/-) years out of the NCAA 1-AA or FCS level who didn't know North Texas has mostly been Division 1-A since the 1950's (or at least they did a good job of pretending they didn't know).

I still defer to the rainbow-lettered signature below as the on the field results (wins) represents part of our NCAA D1-A legacy beginning (mostly) during the Abner Haynes Sun Bowl era of the 1950's.

So count me in, too, North Texas Shep, with that crowd who will (no doubt) doubt us again come this Spring/Summer.

GMG!

PS: In another sport-related front, why does our country allow what would probably amount to about 1 out 100,000 demand that the Washington Redskins change their name? Why do we genuflect to this crowd as if they are the majority? Is it time for our public school students to learn how some former great countries went down because of some of the shit going on in the USA today? I like the name Redskins, RS owner Snyder seems to like, too, and I personally know some Indians (native Americans) who favor it too (and were they even asked about all this at all)? In fact, just how may native Americans are part of the crowd wanting to change the Redskins name is an answer the usual non-stop talking heads wafflers' would waffle over, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I keep reading and hearing about all the playing time NT's subs got last year, but it is mostly a myth. Outside of the defensive line there was not a whole lot of rotation and even there, it was not as much as advertised. QB was almost entirely Thompson and the backup from game 2 on did little but hand off. At running back there was a rotation but it was heavy Byrd. Wrs were really limited with only a couple of non-starters ever factors. TE with a lot of 2 and 3 te sets, did give a lot of playing time to several players, three of which are returning. Other than due to injuries and in mop up time, the offensive line was limited to 6 players.

In the defensive line, Lincoln and Mason played a lot. Polk and Orr also played but not big minutes. Lbs were very limited with the three starters dominating time. The secondary was again the four starters plus Whitfield for the vast majority of time.

A lot of players did contribute last year, but excluding special teams and end of games; there was IMO probably less participation than most teams. NT has big questions almost everywhere next year other than the secondary, offensive line, te and perhaps rb. Last year's team was full of four year lettermen and three year starters; something that will be very rare next year.

I don't think NT will drop like Tulsa or La Tech last year, but it is going to be a big challenge to approach last year's success.

• Upvote 2

Peagram and Byrd were almost interchangable before Peagram got hurt. Jimmerson was very limited before the USM game.

There was a good rotation at WR. (Mainly because WRs run a route, catch a pass and tap out. Sorry. Pet peeve.).

There was some rotation/shifting positions in the Oline due to injuries. that took place almost all season.

There was a rotation at DT with Richard and Ryan then replaced by Austin and Linc. Initially it was by series but would get messed up by a long drive by the opponents or if one of them got dinged, then it was as needed. Toward the end of the season, Richard and Ryan were calling the shots, except for situational packages. Ryan's take was it was his last season, he was playing. He wasn't going to watch the games on the Jumbotron. He was even spelling Zero and Dutton at USM.

The DEs were set up like the DT's but again, except for situational packages, the seniors pretty much called the shots.

As far as the Dline goes, if you watch the entire series from the Rice game that included the "Stand", you will see what I am talking about.

• Upvote 1

If I'm going to worry it'll be at the end of spring. There were some pretty strong personalities on last year's team, but this season there is lots of opportunity for the next strong personality (aka leader(s)) to emerge. If he stays healthy, Quenton Brown has great potential. Both as a player and as a very vocal leader in the DL.

Replacing Derek Thompson may not be nearly as easy as some think.

Brelan Chancellor was a game changer. In 2012 we were 3 - 4 after 7 games, Chancellor went down in the 8th game and we went 1 - 4 from that point on. If Chancellor had stayed healthy we might have picked up a couple of more wins and finished 6 - 6.

I think they'll roll through the conference.

Sorry, I forgot their QB graduated. Let me change that to say "I think they'll be one of the three best teams in the conference."

If you watch the highlights of North Texas' signees from Carthage, the QB that is throwing/handing the ball to them is Soza's replacement. Same type of QB.

If you watch the highlights of North Texas' signees from Carthage, the QB that is throwing/handing the ball to them is Soza's replacement. Same type of QB.

Yep. I think that's Coker's ideal fit at QB. Smart kid, not fast but definitely elusive when pocket breaks. Heady player that manages the offense.

Watch and see if this freshman is given the reigns right out of the gate.

It'll be really interesting to see why they are without Soza. I think he's a much bigger loss to their team than a lot of what we're losing.

Maybe. The question for UTSA is (if Bogenshultz starts), will he be able to manage the speed of the college game vs. the speed of high school. If he can and if his line holds up, he'll have a good season. Plus, Coker and his assistants call a good game (as they should, they're headed by Larry Coker). I do hope our secondary is ready to go and that they grow up before that game.

UTSA is on my list of "worry games" as well as Rice, FAU, and Indiana. I don't have expectations outside of hardnosed play at Texas. I do expect SMU to be a UNT win.