How about Mean Joe to replace Mike Nelson?

Harry

I understand he's been out of football for awhile but he's still in great shape and would be someone that the players truly look up to. NFL Hall of Famer. Demands immediate respect from players and their families. Brings media attention big time. Would be a nice and fitting tribute to cap off a magnificent career at his alma mater.

Longshot? Maybe he's not even interested --- but it's worth consideration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_Joe_Greene

http://meanjoegreene75.com/bio.html

It looks like Greene coached for 15+ years in the NFL, according to that Wiki.

Also, could someone who is slick with Wikipedia please edit that first paragraph:

His alma mater, the University of North Texas' athletic teams are nicknamed the "Mean Green" in honor of Greene whose nickname during his time in the NFL was "Mean Joe" Greene.

It's flat out wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just checked it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_%28American_football%29

I count 10.

I thought I remembered him on Chuck Noll's staff for a while, but I don't remember his being with Arizona at all.

Just checked it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_%28American_football%29

I count 10.

I thought I remembered him on Chuck Noll's staff for a while, but I don't remember his being with Arizona at all.

I'm not sure where they get their math. Just one section up, you can clearly see the following:

He spent the next 16 years as an assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Miami Dolphins, and Arizona Cardinals.

Maybe the 16 is including non-DL coaching duties? Regardless, he does have coaching experience and it looks like it was DL!

I could see them trying to get him on an interim basis if they don't get somebody they really want right away for a long term spot. That would be the most reasonable way to approach it. And it might help boost interest from a coach that might otherwise be a tough get.

Edited by JesseMartin

Given what we're trying to do with our final scholarship, the timing of this announcement is terrible.

I can't seen Nelson putting the program in a tough spot intentionally, so I'm wondering if the announcement was made now because the replacement has already been determined.

I'd be surprised if Mean Joe wanted to get back into it the grind of coaching. Visiting fall practice on occasion as a spectator is very different from putting forth the daily effort required of a coach when it's 100 degrees.

• Upvote 2

Also, could someone who is slick with Wikipedia please edit that first paragraph:

It's flat out wrong.

We could and should have probably just kept Eagles and have a side nickname as Mean Green. But that's probably a discussion for another time.

• Upvote 3

Given what we're trying to do with our final scholarship, the timing of this announcement is terrible.

I can't seen Nelson putting the program in a tough spot intentionally, so I'm wondering if the announcement was made now because the replacement has already been determined.

They knew/had an idea that he was going out after this seasonand was not directly involved in recruiting. Also the position coaches do not recruit their postions, they recruit a geographical area. 90's recruiting coach was the defensive backs coach (Buckles).