CBSSports.com Final Top 126: A Surprise or 2 For Some?

PlummMeanGreen

Just goes to show you what the right hire can do for your program. Consistently starting in the 90s to 100s and now finishing in the top 50. Now we just need to keep the intensity up. It helps to have a coach who won't settle for complacency in the program.

Let's get Mac's deal done and bump up the assistants as well. That will show a commitment!

Yes, after the season is over is exactly when you should give a contract extension! Bumping up the assistants is just as important.

I was hoping for a Top 60 so this is a great bonus.

Yeah, top 60 was my hope with dreams of top 50 when it looked like we might make the championship game.

Love it! Now make it the new standard and shoot for top 25. (My heart might not be able to take that!!!)

Thank you 2013 MEAN GREEN!!!

Just goes to show you what the right hire can do for your program. Consistently starting in the 90s to 100s and now finishing in the top 50. Now we just need to keep the intensity up. It helps to have a coach who won't settle for complacency in the program.

Agreed.

I think this puts us as the 6th-best rated program in the state, this year? And the second-highest rated among non-BCS schools?

Edited by Eagle1855

Impressive!!! I'm sure if we would have beaten UTSA, won the C-USA championship, and made a competitive impression against another SEC team we would probably sit close to 40. We don't live in a "what if" world so this past season will be something the program can build on going into next season.

• Upvote 1

Impressive!!! I'm sure if we would have beaten UTSA, won the C-USA championship, and made a competitive impression against another SEC team we would probably sit close to 40. We don't live in a "what if" world so this past season will be something the program can build on going into next season.

Marshall is 32 at 10-4. Your scenario would have had us at 11-3 and I'm sure we would have been very close to top 25.

• Upvote 2

Marshall is 32 at 10-4. Your scenario would have had us at 11-3 and I'm sure we would have been very close to top 25.

Touche and even better!!! Thank you for catching that . Ya I didn't even look past Rice but glad you pointed that out and corrected the theory on that. Now even more of a reason to go down to UTSA and crush their chances of winning the west.

And I'm supposed to believe a poll that has Ark State ahead of Houston. They lost by 24 to 3-9 Memphis. What an awesome team!

They won their bowl game and it's the last game you played that people remember the most.

• Upvote 1

I ran into my 80 year old neighbor for the first time since the Bowl game. One of the first things out of his mouth: "Man, your Mean Green were something else. What. A. Game. Ruth asked me; Why are watching that football game? I told her; This is my buddy up the streets team. You guys did great."

How about that? We may have just landed our first 80 year old first time fan.

Go Mean Green!

Can you talk him into a couple of club seats?
  • Upvote 3

Man, that's nice. Looking forward to moving on up that poll the next couple years.

They've got their own problems:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2014/01/uh_fans_whine.php

Houston fans don't really have an excuse. They've had a good team for at least the last few years, it really is time for them to show up and especially when that new stadium gets built. The fans are just whining and crying over fresh milk in a crystal wine glass.

• Upvote 1

Man, that's nice. Looking forward to moving on up that poll the next couple years.

They've got their own problems:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2014/01/uh_fans_whine.php

That commentary is a great find. I hope some our fans read it. There are a lot of time you could substitute UNT for Uh and DMN or FwSt for Chron in that article.

...from a UH poster

UH is the 3rd largest public university in the state and will continue to grow. With that growth will come fan base. ESPN had an article about UH being a sleeping giant and it only needs a chance. I don't see the Big 12 opening its doors because why would it want to add more competition to landing recruits. UH was a force during the Southwest conference days and am waiting for that shot at a level playing field. I would love to see the PAC 12 want a piece of Texas and its largest city.

A school which at one time was in the Southwest Conference is still considered a sleeping giant? Posterpedic sure must be making a hunk of money on large mattress sales throughout the Gang of 5 schools.

• Upvote 1