Coach Mac on channel 8 now!

Harry

I've often said Coach Mac reminds me of DD. There is one big difference though, Mac understands PR better and puts a lot of effort into being charismatic and handling the media well.

Good job Coach Mac.

I think DMAC is the polar opposite of DD. He is media friendly, a great ambassador for the univerisity and has the support of the AD. DD, not so much.

That can't be good on the turf to scrape that ice off and I would also think it would pull up a lot of the bbs with the ice too. Seems like it would have been a lot better to let it melt.

With two to three inches of ice on the field, there is no way it was going to melt before the game at 3pm. I'm sure we have buckets of the rubber pellets to replace the ones that may be scooped up with ice removal.

Edited by meangreenfreak

How does he remind you of DD?

Let me count the ways.

On Offense:

Conservative, run first. Favors using a power running game even if it doesn't work early so that they can wear down the opposing front seven. Tends to do that even against teams with weak defensive backfields. Offensive has several sets and fronts but most plays are straightforward and uncomplicated. Tends to have a smaller playbook that people can repeat into excellence rather than having a large playbook that could confuse both the offense and the opposing defense. Play calling is conservative at home and even more conservative away. Be tough. Be physical, did I mention be tough?

On Defense:

Conservative, defends the run first. We tend to play up with a safety a lot to help stop the run. That leads to not blitzing often because we already are playing a safety down. We also tend to have to play corners off because they need a cushion off since, again, there isn't going to be a lot of safety help. If the front four can get pressure this alleviates many of the safety concerns. If you corners can close and tackle, and you have a great ground covering safety like Trice or Jonas Buckles, this defense can be very good. Still can be susceptible to deep pass plays if anyone make a single coverage mistake. Be tough. Be physical, did I mention be tough?

On Coaching:

Admittedly, I no longer have the access to players I used to, but here is what I see. Big on building a "family" us vs them sort of locker room. All coaches do this to some degree, but DD/Mac are old school (a trend you see in a lot of what they do) and take it to an extreme. You will notice both had a lot of "they never believed in us", "they didn't know what we had to go through", "none of my kids knew success before" type of talk from both of them. Both keep a lot of control over this coordinators, they are left to run the day to day but the mindset and goals of each unit are solidly in the head coaches control. Both DD/Mac won games because their players were better conditioned and tougher than a lot of their opponents. DD didn't have the budget for the weight room or strength program, I mean "football performance" trainers. But he had marathon oklahoma drills until people quit, and the survivors were tough. Once again: Be tough. Be physical, did I mention be tough?

On Drinking:

Both liked it, though DD was more of a beer guy ;)

Like I said about DD, everything Mac does is great unless we start losing again.

Let me count the ways.

On Offense:

Conservative, run first. Favors using a power running game even if it doesn't work early so that they can wear down the opposing front seven. Tends to do that even against teams with weak defensive backfields. Offensive has several sets and fronts but most plays are straightforward and uncomplicated. Tends to have a smaller playbook that people can repeat into excellence rather than having a large playbook that could confuse both the offense and the opposing defense. Play calling is conservative at home and even more conservative away. Be tough. Be physical, did I mention be tough?

On Defense:

Conservative, defends the run first. We tend to play up with a safety a lot to help stop the run. That leads to not blitzing often because we already are playing a safety down. We also tend to have to play corners off because they need a cushion off since, again, there isn't going to be a lot of safety help. If the front four can get pressure this alleviates many of the safety concerns. If you corners can close and tackle, and you have a great ground covering safety like Trice or Jonas Buckles, this defense can be very good. Still can be susceptible to deep pass plays if anyone make a single coverage mistake. Be tough. Be physical, did I mention be tough?

On Coaching:

Admittedly, I no longer have the access to players I used to, but here is what I see. Big on building a "family" us vs them sort of locker room. All coaches do this to some degree, but DD/Mac are old school (a trend you see in a lot of what they do) and take it to an extreme. You will notice both had a lot of "they never believed in us", "they didn't know what we had to go through", "none of my kids knew success before" type of talk from both of them. Both keep a lot of control over this coordinators, they are left to run the day to day but the mindset and goals of each unit are solidly in the head coaches control. Both DD/Mac won games because their players were better conditioned and tougher than a lot of their opponents. DD didn't have the budget for the weight room or strength program, I mean "football performance" trainers. But he had marathon oklahoma drills until people quit, and the survivors were tough. Once again: Be tough. Be physical, did I mention be tough?

On Drinking:

Both liked it, though DD was more of a beer guy ;)

Like I said about DD, everything Mac does is great unless we start losing again.

You left out one key factor: Mac is great at motivating players. DD had some talent in that regard, but kinda slacked off in keeping the "family" together. Mac doesn't slack off....it is not in his character.

• Upvote 1

You left out one key factor: Mac is great at motivating players. DD had some talent in that regard, but kinda slacked off in keeping the "family" together. Mac doesn't slack off....it is not in his character.

Island I don't know if he "slacked off."

DD's health was much worse than anyone knew, I think Harry is right when he says DD was deeply affected by Andrew Smith's death, and lets just say he was distracted by his work situation.

I think DD was a great player motivator. I still speak with a few of his former players and I think they would still try and run through a brick wall for him.