Player's Bowl Preference ?

akriesman

If that is selfish, are we as a fanbase selfish when we clamor for a local bowl game that we can attend, when most of these players will probably never have another chance in their lives to visit Hawaii?

Just asking the question, as I would also prefer Dallas.

Yep. definitely.

But then again only people in texas might get the idea that the chance to visit Hawaii may never come again. The chance to visit Hawaii for free... that is another thing entirely

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

I would think the players would want to go to Hawaii and I would totally understand that. In fact, if they did get to do that I would be happy for them. Heck, I've never been to Hawaii but would love to visit someday.

And yes they would absolutely get some fun time on a bowl trip. That would be a memory they would all share for a lifetime.

Every player that I have talked to wants HAWAII. Most are Sophomores and Freshman, though.

Most upperclassmen want to stay here for HoD from what I understand.

UNDERCLASSMEN- Hawaii, then St Petersburg... No doubt.

Don' t think they aren't thinking about bowl packages too. They want an iPad mini and a fossil watch. Not a lavish suite. lol

• Upvote 4

Not what I was saying at all. I was just trying to say that a historical stadium like the Cotton Bowl (if they were to keep their gates locked outside of the actual Bowl game and other college games played at the state fair) would be extra special to local players, as opposed to AT&T who hosts playoff games and other marquee HS games all of the time.

I looked it up and the Cotton Bowl hosts HS Playoff games quite often, so it's a moot point anyway.

And I'm glad your son feels that way. Obviously the fans do as well.

I know the Cotton Bowl has hosted quite a few HS Playoff games this year, but I don't remember them ever doing so before this season. If I'm correct then the only players who have experienced playing there would be transfers.

I would guess a local bowl that afforded the opportunity to play in front of family and friends. I have so much respect for our 4/5 year seniors like Boutwell, Abbe, Jackson, Thompson, etc... that suffered through the worst of times, worked hard, stuck with UNT through bad hires and coaching changes only to be rewarded with a season like this one. If I was one of those young men, I would pick the local bowl so I could have my moment of glory in front of those that may have questioned my sanity for sticking with North Texas and to allow me to walk around with my chin a little higher and chest pushed out a little further for my friends that decided to play at SMU or TCU that are sitting at home this year.

One Last chance to hear the roar of a UNT crowd....NORTH....TEXAS...will last for years as the move on down the road and return as alumni

Every player that I have talked to wants HAWAII. Most are Sophomores and Freshman, though.

Most upperclassmen want to stay here for HoD from what I understand.

UNDERCLASSMEN- Hawaii, then St Petersburg... No doubt.

Don' t think they aren't thinking about bowl packages too. They want an iPad mini and a fossil watch. Not a lavish suite. lol

Because most upperclassmen know what it feels like to play in an empty stadium and have idea of the travel cost related to getting thier families there.

• Upvote 1

"Playing the game for the honor and fame,

And the glory of UNT."

This about the whole school. And giving everyone (or as many people as possible) an opportunity to celebrate this season.....and this team.

and many of the students that supported them...and never went to a bowl game...and the alumni who haven't been to a bowl game in at least 9 yrs and local promotion of the university....but any bowl is a good bowl...if you don't believe me just as La Tech !!

• Upvote 1

I'm in a class with one of the players. If I'd sat near him and didn't have to wait for a paper I'd written to be handed out, I would have asked him today. Oh well. I'm betting SSP and Mrs. Y'Barbo's thoughts are right in line with what I would have heard anyway, though.

• Upvote 2

Because most upperclassmen know what it feels like to play in an empty stadium and have idea of the travel cost related to getting thier families there.

You also have to take in consideration that some of these guys in particular are fresh out of playing pretty deep in playoffs ( or won STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS :) ) in PACKED stadiums and don't have a clue on what it is like to lose.... Spoiled little______...........

edit: when I say "lose"- I mean LOSE more than win.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

The players will want Hawaii. Bowl games have all kinds of events for the teams. The players would have a ball. My dad was on the team host committee for the Sun Bowl way back when and they stay pretty busy with fun stuff. Hawaii would be a once in a lifetime trip for some of the players and staff. That being said, as a fan, I want the HOD bowl because I want to attend.

• Upvote 1

Well should the bowl not also be for the fans? Would the players rather spend a week in Hawaii and then play in front of maybe 1K UNT fansversus playing in front of potentially 15-20K fans locally against a better team?

So selfish vacation or play for family and fans?

That made me laugh. I bet we wouldn't have 30 people there not including staff?

By the way, about this "once in a life time" Hawaii trip argument. I just went as a 47 year old, might go again as a 57 year old,....67 year old,.....?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1