More random examples of UNT being "noticed"

Harry

So my dog has allergies and I had to take him into the vet. My vet is older, not real talkative. Sort of a gets right down to the point kind of guy. Of course he's an Aggie as most vets. Anyway, he gets through checking my dog and a smile breaks out over his face and to my delight he says, "Your boys seem to have something going on in Denton this season eh..?"

I already shared my story about seeing a neighbor decked out in North Texas gear at my Albertson's the morning of the UTEP game. I have seen her at least a dozen times over the years and here she is suddenly reveals she attended UNT and is wearing a ton of newly purchased Mean Green gear.

My father-in-law who is a devout Texas fan (although he didn't attend he did pay tuition for two daughters to which gives him the right)... he tells me that he thinks UNT is one of the best stories in the entire nation this year and how much he respects Mac for fighting through all of the health issues to lead the program to a winning season etc...

It's been an amazing ride this season! Here's hoping it won't end soon! GMG

PS WEAR YOUR GEAR IN PUBLIC PLACES!!!

I was wearing my North Texas Football sweat shirt two weeks ago at my boys' baseball game. Elderly couple (early 80’s) sees me walking up the stands and the man says, "North Texas is doing pretty good this year". We talk for about five minutes and he's very knowledgeable about our program, so I asked him, "Where did you go to school?" He replied, "Boston College". I shrugged my shoulders and said "cool" and went on my way.

• Upvote 2

I was flying past the Navy / S. Alabama game over the weekend and lo and behold, they started talking about North Texas. Apparently the commentators covered one of their games a few weeks earlier. They were talking about how good they've been doing.

I was wearing a North Texas hat at a music store in Allen and it turned out the girl at the counter was a student and started a conversation.

I then went to the Chinese restaurant up the road and the girl at that counter was wearing a North Texas sweatshirt.

I still get the occasional free movie ticket because the GM is a NT grad.

The son of the owners of "Mexicali", my favorite cheap delicious Tex-Mex restaurant in Lake Highlands is a NT grad.

Was in KFC recently and the clerk mentioned the upcoming UTSA game. Apparently she was offered the choice between a UTSA degree or a job at KFC...says she chose the more profitable option.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4

PS WEAR YOUR GEAR IN PUBLIC PLACES!!!

A couple of times, I was at game-watching events in AZ and when I walked past in my UNT shirts I heard the "huh? what? are you lost?" snickers between fans of other teams.

They said nothing the next time I walked past after UNT WON!!!

Many freak out over our ring.

You're welcome :P

• Upvote 2

I went to a dealership in Frisco last Friday and I was wearing my Mean Green t-shirt, and an old salesman came to me and told his colleagues "I get this young man because he is a mean green and my son graduated from UNT last year" However, at the begging he talked about how good the Mean Green is this season and said that he wants to come to visit Apogee, and I told him I'll get you a ticket and he said if that is the deal i'll be at Apogee for sure this Saturday.

• Upvote 3

I went to a dealership in Frisco last Friday and I was wearing my Mean Green t-shirt, and an old salesman came to me and told his colleagues "I get this young man because he is a mean green and my son graduated from UNT last year" However, at the begging he talked about how good the Mean Green is this season and said that he wants to come to visit Apogee, and I told him I'll get you a ticket and he said if that is the deal i'll be at Apogee for sure this Saturday.

So are you getting him a ticket?

• Upvote 1

Don't buy the car until after he shows up for the game.

He is a car salesman, after all...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I went to a Jared store in South Austin to get my wife's ring cleaned and serviced (yes I went to Jared) and the lady said I'd need to drop it and pick it up hours later or the next day(can't remember which). As she was writing up the ticket, the guy behind the class (dude that services the jewelry) comes out after noticing my UNT hat, says he went to NT too, takes my wife's ring back and gets it done in 15 minutes. Being Mean Green got to the front of the line.

• Upvote 1

My wife and I went to the grand opening of a Total Wine & More store in Plano last night. CBS announcer Jim Nance was there promoting the wine company that he is part owner of. He autographed any bottle of his wine that was purchased. He asked me how I wanted him to sign the bottle and I told him "Go Mean Green." He gave me an odd look so I told him my son used to play for North Texas and reminded Jim that five years ago he spoke to the team at the team hotel in Nashville. He said he did remember when Phil Simms and he talked to the team. He went on to say that their speeches did not help much as North Texas did not fare well the next day against Middle Tennessee. I told him that the Mean Green have improved considerably since then. He then added that in the Cowboy / Raider game he is announcing on Thursday that he knew there will be two North Texas players playing plus a third one who is out for the season with an injury.

• Upvote 1

I was in the King of Prussia mall just north of Philadelphia, PA wearing a North Texas sweatshirt and a guy walking with his family yells "MEAN GREEN ALRIGHT" and then he kept on walking.

That's weird, times are certainly changing. I grew up just up the road from there and when I graduated, most of my class was going to UPenn or Penn State satellite campuses but nobody that I knew (school, church, etc.) had heard of North Texas.