Dallas Morning News' Tim Cowlishaw on UNT

Harry

WHY has this gone two pages?!

We're #1 in CUSA's west division...in a year we were supposed to struggle because of the "step up"

We're 7-3 with two (winnable) games to go.

NOTHING that Cowlishaw or anyone else can write will change that. Nothing. Not an op ed. Not a column. Not a book.

UTSA

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

Basically SHOSS nailed it. Never is a long time. Forty years ago people never would have believed both FSU and Miami would have multiple National titles. Fifteen years ago no one would believe than Boise State would have won two Fiesta Bowls. Four years ago if you told Auburn boosters that they'd have a coach that would win a national title for the first time in over 50 years, they'd probably say give him a lifetime contact. They'd never imagine firing him two seasons later.

Basically, no one knows anything.

WHY has this gone two pages?!

We're #1 in CUSA's west division...in a year we were supposed to struggle because of the "step up"

We're 7-3 with two (winnable) games to go.

NOTHING that Cowlishaw or anyone else can write will change that. Nothing. Not an op ed. Not a column. Not a book.

UTSA

seriously... ya'll need to stop complaining about sports talking heads in Dallas... I'd bet Tim knows about as much about UNT football as we do about Utah St.

we know they exist and they are having a decent season... that's about it...

he's paid to write about what people care about... so... if we keep winning, more people care about us

• Upvote 1

It's the toughest thing that UNT has to overcome, the DFW sports media apathy by its top members. Sure, we have lots if broadcast and print alums in the DFW area, but except for George Dunham, no one else has any pull at the top of the DFW sports media ladder. Tim cowlishaw just represents the SWC mentality perfectly.

It's gonna take beating an AQ team AND winning the conference to make a dent with these people. The only reason they haven't dumped SMU completely is because of their SWC history and the rise from the death penalty that many of the DFW media helped to bring about.

It's just how it is....

:thumbsu:Agree...

The only thing we have to fear is...

...doing what we've mostly done many of our adult lives and that is going 3 giant steps forward and then.............5 giant steps backwards.

Upon further review & thought concerning Tim Cowlishaw's remarks, the go forward then go backwards M.O. at UNT probably the main reason as to why we have so many doubting Thomases among the DFW media along with those on our campus, our enormous DFW alumnus base, Denton and Denton County for that matter.

Might a string of winning seasons and then some get us in the ball game with the DFW media? I think it would in a big way. Then add a MAC'esque Top 25 ranked Mean Green program with Apogee sellouts and we'd be on our way. And just like untjim1995 posted, we have to beat a few AQ's (preferably Top 25 ranked) along the way, too. Most times won't we have to actually beat a Top 25 ranked school to be able to warp speed our football program into the Top 25?

GMG!

PS:

The Apogee Experience: Anyone else think that had Tim Cowlishaw been with fellow DMN sportswriter Gosselin when he was at Apogee and in the MGRN booth few games back extolling the virtues of all that he was seeing that Tim would have even bothered to so needlessly kick us in the family jewels with his seemedly intended to be condescending one sentence remark?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Anytime somebody makes bold absolute claims like this...you run the risk of looking like a fool. Baylor is nothing more than a doormat... Never gonna be anything more than that... Boise state can never compete with the big boys... Things change in cycles. Great programs go through bad times, mediocre programs have great years, bottom dwellers rise from the ashes and shock the world.

You never know what will happen. Just keep on supporting our alma mater. If the support is there, our chances are much much better to raise our level of success overall, and years like this one may not end up being a flash in the pan. This could be the beginning of something special like Mac has said. Our potential is there because of our numbers. We just have to make our alums notice.

"Never" "always" etc.... The words of fools. Lets just appreciate what we have gotten to see this year without arrogance, and don't let any outside noise ruin our fun. Spread the good word amongst our alumni and maybe one day we can throw these absolute statements back in Tim's face... You know, in a nice way...

Go mean green

agreed...

I literally turn Cowlishaw off every time he's a guest on the Ticket. Let's just keep winning football games and see what happens.

GMG

Edited by 3XL

Question: Will the UNT football program ever amount to anything more than a contender in a low end bowl?

Tim Cowlishaw: I don't know how they would be expected to go about doing that. Never going to get the top recruits to go there, play in a lower end conference.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20131115-cowlishaw-why-i-m-picking-oklahoma-state-over-texas.ece

So someone thinks the Heart of Dallas Bowl is a " Lower end " bowl, and he agrees, and earlier he predicted Ok St to beat Texas, which they did today.

So my question is,...Is the Heart of Dallas Bowl still considered a " Low End" bowl except when

Ok St plays in it? http://www.kvue.com/sports/more/Oklahoma-State-win-Heart-of-Dallas-Bowl-185387351.html

Rick

If i can't find a USA Today at the corner gas station in front of IHOP on the corner of AVE E and 35 ON THE SATURDAY MORNING OF GAME DAY..............

Then my second choice for starting the fire on my smoker is the FREEAAKKKING Dallas Morning News!

I think you mean North Texas Blvd, not Ave E.

Anyone else think that had Tim Cowlishaw been with fellow DMN sportswriter Gosselin when he was at Apogee and in the MGRN booth few games back extolling the virtues of all that he was seeing that Tim would have even bothered to so needlessly kick us in the family jewels with his seemedly intended to be condescending one sentence remark?

I bet he was here with Gosselin but he's just really bitter now because they ran out of Scrappy Burgers two people ahead of him in line.

So someone thinks the Heart of Dallas Bowl is a " Lower end " bowl, and he agrees, and earlier he predicted Ok St to beat Texas, which they did today.

So my question is,...Is the Heart of Dallas Bowl still considered a " Low End" bowl except when

Ok St plays in it? http://www.kvue.com/sports/more/Oklahoma-State-win-Heart-of-Dallas-Bowl-185387351.html

Rick

That article doesn't really support your argument:

"The Cowboys (8-5) missed out on upper-tier bowls after narrow losses in their last two Big 12 games"

Who cares? A. DMN is the worst run publication I've seen B. TC is trying to follow Skip Bayless' career path by committing to making every issued opinion bold. I think he's just keeping with this character he's created - on that requires he take no middle ground on anything. Truthfully, he has little risk making this proclamation because when we become a consistent winner again, no one will call him out on it because no one will have read it (I refused to give the link a page click, sorry). The greater risk to him was compromising his strategically established persona.

Skip Bayless is the ultimate sleazebag going back to his Dallas Morning News sports column (and then as a columnist for the Dallas Times Herald - As I am a former employee of DTH, may its Banner rest in peace, in spite of hiring Bayless!) - and he is still a sleazebag.

You are right jdennis, every Bayless opinion then, and it continues today, had/has to be projected with boldness and, might I add, vitriolic words designed to provoke/agitate/piss-off.

Bayless has made a career of character assassination via innuendo (reference the Tony Dorsett Dallas Morning News column in the late '70s as just one of thousands of examples) - And he has continued this path throughout his career. I would venture a guess that he is the most hated of the sports journalists, then and now.

I hate to see Tim Cowlishaw follow the path of Skip Bayless. It may well earn him a vault full of money while failing to command respect. But many people sell their soul at the crossroads.......

GMG