Dallas Morning News' Tim Cowlishaw on UNT

Harry

Question: Will the UNT football program ever amount to anything more than a contender in a low end bowl?

Tim Cowlishaw: I don't know how they would be expected to go about doing that. Never going to get the top recruits to go there, play in a lower end conference.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20131115-cowlishaw-why-i-m-picking-oklahoma-state-over-texas.ece

:zoro: We get a little success and some of the area sportswriters (with a UT education to boot) come undone. LOL!

And A Response To Cowlishaw's UNT question:

And how many Top 25 (or Top 50) nationally recruited classes do most of the perennial 2'nd division Power 5 conference schools (like TCU, Iowa State, Kansas, Wake Forest, etc, etc, etc) ever get?

And on the matter of "low end" bowl games? You mean the same kind of bowl games that many of the 2'nd division Power 5 conference schools (like TCU, Iowa State, Kansas, Wake Forest, etc,) will be playing in, too? Then do you call them "low end" when schools such as the aforementioned participate in that level of bowl games, Mr. Cowlishaw?

(And all these years later, you still enjoying the broadcast quality of that UNT-graduated "Voice of the Texas Longhorn Radio Network", Mr, C)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Who cares? A. DMN is the worst run publication I've seen B. TC is trying to follow Skip Bayless' career path by committing to making every issued opinion bold. I think he's just keeping with this character he's created - on that requires he take no middle ground on anything. Truthfully, he has little risk making this proclamation because when we become a consistent winner again, no one will call him out on it because no one will have read it (I refused to give the link a page click, sorry). The greater risk to him was compromising his strategically established persona.

• Upvote 2

It's the toughest thing that UNT has to overcome, the DFW sports media apathy by its top members. Sure, we have lots if broadcast and print alums in the DFW area, but except for George Dunham, no one else has any pull at the top of the DFW sports media ladder. Tim cowlishaw just represents the SWC mentality perfectly.

It's gonna take beating an AQ team AND winning the conference to make a dent with these people. The only reason they haven't dumped SMU completely is because of their SWC history and the rise from the death penalty that many of the DFW media helped to bring about.

It's just how it is....

• Upvote 2

quit reading the Dallas Morning BIRD CAGE LINER a long time ago. This reminds me why. They have so called reporters that spew crap like this about a "home team"...hey Calishaw, you no knowing what a football team looks like jerk, do you not realize that UNT is the only team in DFW that is going to a bowl game ..... do you realize that UNT is the only team in DFW in the hunt to win a conference??? Of course not, your head is too far up Patterson and June Jones A_ _ to see the light of day.

• Upvote 5

Anytime somebody makes bold absolute claims like this...you run the risk of looking like a fool. Baylor is nothing more than a doormat... Never gonna be anything more than that... Boise state can never compete with the big boys... Things change in cycles. Great programs go through bad times, mediocre programs have great years, bottom dwellers rise from the ashes and shock the world.

You never know what will happen. Just keep on supporting our alma mater. If the support is there, our chances are much much better to raise our level of success overall, and years like this one may not end up being a flash in the pan. This could be the beginning of something special like Mac has said. Our potential is there because of our numbers. We just have to make our alums notice.

"Never" "always" etc.... The words of fools. Lets just appreciate what we have gotten to see this year without arrogance, and don't let any outside noise ruin our fun. Spread the good word amongst our alumni and maybe one day we can throw these absolute statements back in Tim's face... You know, in a nice way...

Go mean green

• Upvote 3

Anytime somebody makes bold absolute claims like this...you run the risk of looking like a fool. Baylor is nothing more than a doormat... Never gonna be anything more than that... Boise state can never compete with the big boys... Things change in cycles. Great programs go through bad times, mediocre programs have great years, bottom dwellers rise from the ashes and shock the world.

You never know what will happen. Just keep on supporting our alma mater. If the support is there, our chances are much much better to raise our level of success overall, and years like this one may not end up being a flash in the pan. This could be the beginning of something special like Mac has said. Our potential is there because of our numbers. We just have to make our alums notice.

"Never" "always" etc.... The words of fools. Lets just appreciate what we have gotten to see this year without arrogance, and don't let any outside noise ruin our fun. Spread the good word amongst our alumni and maybe one day we can throw these absolute statements back in Tim's face... You know, in a nice way...

Go mean green

Good words...Thanks!

I have been a fan of Tim Cowlishaw from watching him on ESPN's Around The Horn plus I regularly read his DMN column. I went to his Drunk On Sports book signing in Plano this summer to have him sign his book for my son. I asked him to write "Go Mean Green." He was laughing while he wrote that out. Right there I knew how he felt about North Texas.

• Upvote 3

You don't have to get the best recruits to do big and great things. Ask Boise and TCU. Just keep on winning and prove the naysayers wrong.

EXACTLY,plus NEVER is a long time. Good response! For example, I never thought we would have a new stadium, let alone the eye popper that we ended up with.

Edited by wardly

Perception is reality when it comes to this type of thing. He is just saying what the entire DFW media have learned to say about UNT football the last 9 years.

Wanna change it? Win out and win the last 2 games this year, win the conference championship, win the bowl game, and go beat Texas to open the season next year.

That's a tough road to hoe, but that would change perceptions immediately with the DFW media.

In their minds, we have always sucked (the 4 SBC championships is not even a blip on their screen) and always will suck. Wanna change that? Make them take notice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All it takes to change a program is two guys. One you have to have the right coach. Two you land a player that will change the face of your program. Does he have to be a top recruit? No. But you bring in a kid like RGIII who was overlooked as a QB and there ya go.

Their are plenty of kids who get overlooked or who develop better in college than big times schools expect.

Maybe Dajon becomes that kid for us, who knows.

I could careless if a newspaper guy says we will never amount to anything. It won't really affect the growth of this program. I don't think our recruits are flocking to the newsstand to pick up a paper anyways.

• Upvote 1