SI predicts NT to play Texas State...Please NO!

SouthBendGreen

Sorry if posted before.

Stewart Mandel is projecting North Texas in the Heart of Dallas Bowl against Texas St!!!!! He is stating they would be a replacement for the Big 10 not having enough eligible teams.

For the love of everything that is good and decent, PLEASE don't let this happen. Not sure what you guys think, but that would just be terrible. Yes it improves our chances of winning, but I want to see North Texas play a school from a BCS conference.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131104/college-football-bowl-projections/?sct=cf_t1t_a1

• Upvote 5

That matchup would be the perfect example of the term "North Texas Luck"--as in there ain't much history of having any...

We finally have a good team for the first time in a decade. We finally have a local bowl game who is clamoring to have us be in it against a Big Ten team. ANd SMU and TCU are nowhere to be found in any bowl predictions. And this would be the year that the Big Ten, now having twelve teams, cannot place a bowl team here when all you have to do is win 6 games...and that leaves Texas State as the opponent for a 10am New Years Day Game in Fair Park. In keeping with said "North Texas Luck" meme, it will probably be about 25 degrees and sleeting, meaning the big ass Cotton Bowl will have about 250 people in there to watch the game...

• Upvote 3

Wow. While they certainly have reached the 6-win including one over an FCS team total needed to be bowl eligible, their SOS is atrocious. I would think that between complete lack of name recognition and wins over teams who can barely tie their shoes in the morning, let alone come away with a victory, would make them an unattractive draw for any bowl.

I count 48 team already bowl eligible, including Texas St. An addition 13 teams have 5 wins. 13 more sitting at 4 wins. That's 74 teams, including Texas St, looking for bowl eligbility. I believe there are 70 slots. I can't see a new team in a crappy conference who beat up on Prairie View A&M, Southern Miss, Idaho, and South Alabama getting the nod over many other teams.

I don't give a crap who we play or who turns the channel. I think it would improve the chances of packing the house and improve the chances of us winning the bowl game. This would be absolutely fantastic for our program and outgoing president. Bring on the cats! Eagle + Cat = Eagle...always.

• Upvote 4

Iowa is at 5-4 with a win over an FCS school. Does that count towards their win total? I seem to remember you can count one win against an FCS team. Well this weekend they have Purdue. They really need that game because after that they have Michigan and Nebraska.

Yup. One FCS win can count towards your 6 for bowl eligibility per year.

This speculation is based on one person's opinion...at least now we may have an idea how Notre Dame fans reacted to the possibility of playing us in said HOD Bowl.

Bingo. You are spot on. I'm just glad to finally have to opportunity to go to a bowl game after 9 seasons of following the program. I agree with the guy who would be happy to play TWU. I just want to go to a bowl game. It would be a bonus if we beat down whoever we play. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to knock TSU-SM back down to reality.

Would you rather have a 28 point win over TX St at San Marcos or a 28 point loss to a big 10 school?

Be careful what you wish for.

Would there be an option for a 28 point win over a Big 10 school? I pick that one.

• Upvote 2

I'm missing something in this scenario. The Heart of Dallas Bowl matches a CUSA team against the seventh pick from the Big 10. Iowa only needs to win one of their last three games to be bowl eligible and would become #7 after Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and Nebraska.

It's the matchup that we wanted vs. Mac's alma mater. Besides, he's experienced at beating the Hawkeyes having beaten them something like four straight times when he was at Iowa State.