Derek Thompson...an elephant in the room?

meangreener

I crunched some other numbers, as well. I was curious to see when his INT came and the effect on the ball game. I, also, wanted to see how he responded after throwing a pick.

Game # 1 - Idaho - No Interceptions

Game # 2 - Ohio - 2 Interceptions

1st INT is a pick 6 early in 2nd Qtr that puts bad guys up 21-7

DT goes 14-20-0 for 158 yds and 2 tds - rallies to put the team back in it 27-21

Next INT comes with a minute left

Game # 3 - Ball State - No Interceptions - Best Game No Doubt

Game # 4 - Georgia - 1 Interception - Accounted for 202 of 245 total offense

Game # 5 - Tulane - 2 Interceptions

1st pick comes with 9:30 in 1st Qtr

2nd pick comes with 2:40 in the 3rd Qtr (pick 6) puts Tulane up 21-7

DT goes 9-16-0 for 123 and 2 TDs to tie the game at 21-21 with 3:45 remaining. Tulane runs the clock and you know.

Game # 6 - MUTS - 2 Interceptions

1st pick comes with 9:22 in 1st Qtr

2nd pick comes with 14:18 in 2nd Qtr leads to MUTS tying the game 7-7

DT goes 7-10-0 for 70 yds and the Mean Green win 34-7

Game # 7 - La Tech - 1 Interception

Pick Comes with 10:09 in 1st Qtr leads to La Tech 7-0 lead

DT goes 15-22-0 for 210 - NT wins 28-13

Game # 8 - S. Miss - 2 Interceptions

1st pick comes with 11:37 in 1st Qtr

DT goes 17-23-0 for 286 yds with a TD - NT up 41-14

2nd pick with 10:20 in 3rd Qtr

Game # 9 - Rice - 1 Interception

1st pick comes with 14:21 4th Qtr - NT UP 28-16

DT doesn't throw another pass

But it was all passing on the drive that cut the jugular.

Nt 1-10 at Nt24 NORTH TEXAS drive start at 09:46. Nt 1-10 at Nt24 Thompson, Derek pass complete to CHANCELLOR, B. for 15 yards to the NT39, 1ST DOWN NT. Nt 1-10 at Nt39 Thompson, Derek pass incomplete to CHANCELLOR, B.. Nt 2-10 at Nt39 PENALTY RICE pass interference (LYONS, Alex) 15 yards to the RICE46, 1ST DOWN NT. Nt 1-10 at Rice46 Thompson, Derek pass complete to JIMMERSON, A. for 46 yards to the RICE0, 1ST DOWN NT, TOUCHDOWN, clock 08:58. Paul, Zach kick attempt good. North Texas 28, RICE 16
  • Upvote 1

We are averaging 7.9 yards per pass attempt and over 11 yards per completion on the season.

Thursday vs Rice we averaged 8 yards per attempt and 14 yards per completion.

We take what the defense gives us, grind the game with our ground game, win the field position battle, play back-breaking defense and put the opponent to sleep with two sets of the game...(the offense and defense) using about 38-40 players to do it with.....the quarterback included. I would have thought as Mean Green fans more people would have understood this by now?

As for DT, your all going to appreciate him a whole lot more about 9 months from now.

Rick

AM I PREGNANT??!??!?!!?!!?!!?

• Upvote 1

When this thread was started I believe he was just saying our competition is going to get tougher, so dt will need to play better and if not dt, then the d, rbs, st, etc. no one said he was bad, just has some things he can fix.

I didn't think dt was the best option coming into the season, but now I do. He's proven me wrong in that way. However, I was shocked when I finally saw that he was almost even in TDs and ints, his season seemed to be much cleaner, but I guess winning can do mask those type of things.

All in all, he's not a great qb, but he is a good asset for the team.

Some of these views are just off the wall. I just love our fan base. When it comes to debating QBs it's like republicans vs democrats. No real moderate views on here either.

Anyways my issues with the offense are more than just the QB and what he can or can't do, but that got lost somewhere along the way.

That's because we can only blame the players around here, never the coaches. Haven't you heard?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That's because we can only blame the players around here, never the coaches. Haven't you heard?

I've heard and read enough to know something's I'd rather not share. Some people on here love to focus on one piece of the pie because its all they can see. Some people just don't have that ability to step back and look at everything. Just how it goes.

• Upvote 2

Some of these views are just off the wall. I just love our fan base. When it comes to debating QBs it's like republicans vs democrats. No real moderate views on here either.

Anyways my issues with the offense are more than just the QB and what he can or can't do, but that got lost somewhere along the way.

I think people with a moderate view of DT don't post in threads like these. I think I have a pretty moderate view of him, but I shy away from these discussions since my opinion isn't far enough weighted either way for me to really care to share it.

That said, I think that DT has been a great game manager this season. He has had some good games for us, but I don't see him strapping this team on his back and carrying us through a game. When he presses, he throws bad passes. As he has settled into the season with a quality running game and defense, he has gotten more comfortable and confident. He is a game manager QB and there is nothing wrong with a steady hand at the helm. This conversation is not very productive as he is the best we have.

So I keep seeing people say something along the lines of: "DT is so good, blah-blah, this-&-that, but some people would still like to see him benched in favor of XYZ person".

Please identify yourself if you believe DT should be benched for McNulty, Berglund, or a healthy/unhealthy(?) DaJon Williams.

Maybe during spring practice, or maybe even early on in Fall practice... but now, I don't think there is a single person who would want that.

I think people with a moderate view of DT don't post in threads like these. I think I have a pretty moderate view of him, but I shy away from these discussions since my opinion isn't far enough weighted either way for me to really care to share it.

That said, I think that DT has been a great game manager this season. He has had some good games for us, but I don't see him strapping this team on his back and carrying us through a game. When he presses, he throws bad passes. As he has settled into the season with a quality running game and defense, he has gotten more comfortable and confident. He is a game manager QB and there is nothing wrong with a steady hand at the helm. This conversation is not very productive as he is the best we have.

I love DT and his desire to win and put the best face forward for his team and university. That being said, DT does not have the tools to legitimately take the offense to the next level. He still locks onto his primary receiver a tad too often and does not have the legit arm strength to make keeping 9 men in the box a scary proposition. How many deep balls has he thrown that the receiver has had to stop and go back for this year? That is my gripe with DT. Combine that with getting the ball there, but not getting it in the spot that allows the receiver to continue through on the play. That may be the more maddening thing for me. I can take a weaker arm, but there are many times that the timing just seems off or that the ball is thrown the wrong shoulder. Some of that is still footwork and can still be refined, but a lo of that is arm strength and there is not a ton you can do about it.

It will never be about him as a person or as a leader, but from a skillset perspective he just does not have the arm or the accuracy. He is a game manager. There is nothing wrong with that with the design of the team we have right now. It does bring into question what happens if we "need" an all or nothing type of drive, but that is a price I am willing to pay to have a consistent game manger and leader on the field.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if the decrease in offense is necessarily DT's fault but the fact is our offense is definitely going downhill. DT had improved dramatically over last year in the early season but his TD to Int ratio is back to 1/1 and fewer receivers are being involved. It's not a dive but definitely a slippage.

A lot of the decrease in offensive production is due to a conservative run philosophy. It's not really working in that there are only five worse rushing offenses in CUSA. We need to be able to run the ball but not do that a dominant amount of time unless that's what they're giving us.

Had it not been for the defense and special teams touchdowns we would have lost to Rice. Those are good but I hate to have to rely on them. The offense should be able to score enough to provide victory and other scores increase the margin of victory. We'll probably be ok not relying on our offense for the reaminder of the season but it won't get us through a championship or a bowl win.

Again, I'm not pointing fingers at Derek Thompson but I would issue a challenge to him... You made believers of us with your stellar play early in the season so please elevate the offensive numbers for the remainder of the season with more TDs than picks.

• Upvote 1