DMNews: North Texas leapfrogs Rice and SMU

Harry

Biggest riser: North Texas. The Mean Green’s win over Rice on Thursday was the final step to legitimacy in the eyes of the pollsters. They jumped two spots, leapfrogging Rice in the process, and gained 14 points in the poll.

Read more: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/11/best-in-texas-breakdown-north-texas-leapfrogs-rice-and-smu-comes-close-to-catching-tcu.html/

I am waiting for that slip up loss by SMU to happen. they almost managed it 3 times already this year, only to pull it out somehow.

They beat Montana state last minute only because of very friendly officiating

they beat memphis 1-6, barely.

they spotted 1-7 (including losses to Idaho and FCS Fordham!) temple a 21 point lead... at home. and only pulled it out in the 4th quarter.

And with the exception of that Rutgers game the losses are all ugly losses. I don't see them winning with TxState on a neutral field and not with UTSA even at home

SMu seriously is the second worst FBS team in Texas right now, and how they can be ahead of Rice in anyones poll is seriously a mystery to me.

Edited by outoftown

The DMN has had the pony knee pads on all season. Their wins are over programs that are amongst the worst in college football. and Barely at that.

Its utep and then the ponies for the bottom. I don't like the fact that utsa is this good, but they are. I would pick utsa over smu no question. I admittedly don't know too much about texas state. So, maybe I couldn't say if smu were worse than them... but I have seen several smu games and atleast 3 utsa games. To me, there is no comparison.

I don't think there is any question Rice is better than SMU as well.

This poll has been a joke from the beginning of the season.

UNT just needs to play to their potential for the remainder of this season. The dallas morning news writers will all wake up. Just because smu left cusa doesn't mean they are automatically better than everybody in the old conference. Watch the freaking games... "sports writers"... I am looking forward to Houston beating smu by 50 in a couple weeks...

Someone please send this to Timmy Mac

Wins by Texas teams. Best BCS win is bolded, wins in the top 50 are red.

Baylor (AA x, Buffalo 52, ULM 69, WV 68, KSU 63, Iowa ST 102, Kan 73 )
A&M (Rice 51, AA x, SMU 88, Ark 73, 29 Ole Miss, Vanderbilt 52, UTEP 120)
UT (NMSU 119, KSU 63, Iowa ST 102, OU 10, TCU 76, Kan 73)
TT (SMU 88, AA x, TCU 76, TexSt 77, Kan 73, Iowa ST 102, WVU 68)
Hou (AA x, Temple 112, Rice 51, UTSA x, memphis 103, USF 99)
TCU (AA x, SMU 88, Kan 73)
NT (Idaho 109, Ball St 35, MTSU 70, LaTech 105, USM 121, Rice 51)
SMU (AA x, memphis 103, Temple 112)
Rice (Kan 73 , FAU 90, Tulsa 107, UTSA x, NMSU 119, UTEP 120)
TexSt (USM 121, AA x, Wyo 96, GSU x, USA 93, Idaho 109)
UTSA (UNM 112, UTEP 120, UAB 108, Tulsa 107)
UTEP (NMSU 119)

Ranked by best BCS Ranked Win:
UT 10
A&M 29
NT 35
--
Hou 51
Bay 52
TT 68
Rice 73
TCU 73
--
SMU 103
UTSA 107
TexSt 109
UTEP 119

Only three teams in Texas have a win over a top 50 team.

DMN BCS

6 8 TCU

7 6 UNT

8 10 SMU

9 7 Rice

10 9 Texas State

11 11 UTSA

12 12 UTEP

Clear Dallas News bias for TCU and SMU, with both two slots higher than BCS ranking for same 7 teams.

Huge news bias for SMU. I don't know how they could earn the #8 ranking. I mean, take a look at their win over Temple. Temple was 1-7 going into SMU's homecoming game, and SMU had to pull a sudden comeback in order to beat them. Comparing that win to our win over Rice...there's just no comparison.

Frankly, SMU should be between UTSA and UTEP. SMU fans might cry out about their strength of schedule and reference TCU, A&M and Tech, but their only wins are against 2 losing teams with 1 and whatever records and one FCS team.