Anyone heard this mentioned

smoothfresh

Typically I don't believe 99% of this is junk but I haven't heard one word about Mac hanging it up http://footballrumormill.com/2013/10/28/the-rumor-mill-college-football-coaching-news-and-rumors-monday-oct-28/

Yes I know the Rice game is priority number 1 but this suprised me.

Edited by smoothfresh

A very large public university in the heart of HS football country has a very charismatic head coach who has had a few health problems. His team is climbing its way out of an 8 season abyss and actually doing far better than any of the pundits thought they would. Their recruiting is picking up steam and, with a solid finish to the season/bowl game, could endanger other programs recruiting efforts.

Hmmm...I wonder how this retirement rumor got started.

• Upvote 4

A very large public university in the heart of HS football country has a very charismatic head coach who has had a few health problems. His team is climbing its way out of an 8 season abyss and actually doing far better than any of the pundits thought they would. Their recruiting is picking up steam and, with a solid finish to the season/bowl game, could endanger other programs recruiting efforts.

Hmmm...I wonder how this retirement rumor got started.

I blame this guy:

JWJHHCOAPZPYZMG.20090528163511.jpg

• Upvote 5

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night heard Coach Mac say he was tired and wanted to retire to focus on spending time with his family!"

I guess this could be true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that the writer just started the rumor. Mac keeps himself in shape mentally and physically and is not about ready to retire. He's looking at an increase in salary and contract extension. He's put in a lot of hard work rebuilding this program and I don't believe that he wants to lose that.

Sure, he's had two serious health issues in the last two years but looks and feels as good as ever. He's the type that would drop dead on the practice field before dying in an easy chair.

• Upvote 1

"North Texas: Lots of chatter here. Some think Dan McCarney could hang it up after the season."

This stuff just drives me crazy. Who the hell is "some"? If no one is willing to identify themselves, then I don't give a damn what they think, Because, you know what? SOME people out there think that the world is flat. And SOME people out there think they have been kidnapped and probed by aliens.

But then, there are a lot of people out there that I wish that would really happen to.......... B)

I would not be surprised at all if McCarney retired after this season. Age, health and family trumps football.

Mac ain't leaving until the job is done.

He's got a while with this team. Once the team has a solid foundation, Mac will retire.

Admittedly, I worry he's worn down about the attendance issues, but still.

Edited by meangreener

Mac ain't leaving until the job is done.

He's got a while with this team. Once the team has a solid foundation, Mac will retire.

Admittedly, I worry he's worn down about the attendance issues, but still.

Or he'll be here until he potentially receives an offer from a bigger program and doubles his salary.

On the whole tho I'd be pretty surprised if there was legitimate truth to this story. Coaches are some of the most stubborn and proud people when it comes to their line of work. Just look at how much it took to finally get Jerry Kill to step back and take a big break. Tho I'd be curious to know who exactly those sources are.

Good lord no!!

MY heart can't take another RV hire!!

:goodjob: You and me both brother.

Besides, after observing Coach McCarney for the last three years, I am certain that retirement for him will consist of him having a meltdown on the the sideline of a very close and intense game and falling dead. I cannot imagine what this A+++ personality would do other than coach.

• Upvote 1