Announcment Soon - New UNT President

bdan2002

Bataille is the one who gave us Todd Dodge. Hope the new prez doesn't have to cowtow to Jackson and knows the importance of athletics.

Dodge turned out bad, but let's not try and rewrite history - at the time of the hire most of the Nation thought it was a very good move

• Upvote 4

She did NOTHING to get us to Tier One other than sit by while our endowment stagnated, research dollars dropped and schools like the University of Houston and Texas Tech passed us by. She talked a big game but did very little about it. This is why she was forced out of UNT by the board of regents. All the good that Pohl did meant little because Bataille just said that we wanted to be Tier One but didn't care enough to make it happen. She was too busy making sure that UNT catered to the second-and-third choice prospective students and keeping our "commuter" status alive. She ruined the football program by pushing Dodge on RV and was difficult about Apogee.

By the time I moved up here in 2006, I had a UNT alum live by me who told me all I needed to know about the rise and fall under Pohl then Gretchen, and about how she was proponent #1 for Dodge and was hesitant on Apogee and didn't actually do much to make us Tier 1 ; when I came to UNT and saw all the good that was happening fall apart my freshman year made me realize that Gretchen Bataille was an idiot. UNT has fallen behind INCREDIBLY in the Tier One race, to the point of being level with UT-freaking-A and behind UT-freaking-D mostly at her hands. We've turned it around, but everyone else has had a two year head start.

We need a president, with first and foremost, guts, like Renu Khator. Before he took over, UH was a joke community college. Now it's become a decently prestigious public university.

If you want to point fingers about the direction of the university, worry about Lee Jackson and point the blame in the correct direction..

• Upvote 3

Wow, Ryan. There is very, very little of what you've touted that is true.

----

But hey, you all need to stop getting so butt hurt. Michael Monticino will be the next President of the University of North Texas and you can absolutely bank on that.

In your opinion.

She saw an immediate spike in endowment followed by no growth...with no growth in research either.

She let Cougar High pass us by, flat out, and spread no goodwill by her being okay with UNT staying as just a backup option with a commuter reputation, despite statistics pointing otherwise. She'll be remembered for starting Emerald Eagle and being pushed out by the board.

Once again, we need a president like UH's, one that pulls no punches.

I didn't realize Bataille had a fan club.

None of you fanboys have any solid numbers to back you up, either. It's a fact that the endowment grew then stopped quickly. Research didn't ever grow. She liked Dodge for budget reasons. She didn't support Apogee. She did not improve any metric needed for tier one after the campaign started. She defended our position as second/third choice college and falsely portrayed the commuter school issue.

These are numbers easily found and quotes easily found.

Either way, this thread is derailed, I think we all want a president to push successfully to tier 1 and continue athletics support.

I need to stop posting here. Tired of it. Think I'm gonna start a weekly allotment of 5.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Wow, Ryan. There is very, very little of what you've touted that is true.

----

But hey, you all need to stop getting so butt hurt. Michael Monticino will be the next President of the University of North Texas and you can absolutely bank on that.

Where you getting that info Christopher? "Absolutely" is a pretty strong word. Would make for pretty strong ties with the Alumni Association.

Where you getting that info Christopher? "Absolutely" is a pretty strong word. Would make for pretty strong ties with the Alumni Association.

A couple of VPs and other administrators that I'm close with are leaning in Michael's direction and it simply makes sense.

Been a professor here for 23 years, chaired his department, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Dean of Toulouse, and the brief stint as VP of Advancement to prove he can raise money and deal in alumni relations (which that new agreement solidifies). And Rawlins/Burggren love him.

And he's made it explicitly clear that he's angling to be a university president in the near future.

It's that one rare opportunity where producing someone from the inside makes much more sense over bringing in someone from outside; knows the campus and it's constituents through and through, has excellent respect and cooperation with the city of Denton, and loves the Mean Green.

If I had money to bet I'd seriously put some down on Michael.

• Upvote 2

A couple of VPs and other administrators that I'm close with are leaning in Michael's direction and it simply makes sense.

Been a professor here for 23 years, chaired his department, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Dean of Toulouse, and the brief stint as VP of Advancement to prove he can raise money and deal in alumni relations (which that new agreement solidifies). And Rawlins/Burggren love him.

And he's made it explicitly clear that he's angling to be a university president in the near future.

It's that one rare opportunity where producing someone from the inside makes much more sense over bringing in someone from outside; knows the campus and it's constituents through and through, has excellent respect and cooperation with the city of Denton, and loves the Mean Green.

If I had money to bet I'd seriously put some down on Michael.

Agree with what you say here about him. No secret that he is doing all necessary to be a university president, and would make a great one for UNT by all accounts. Will just wait and see. Hopefully, the announcement will come soon. Time to get this one done.

• Upvote 1

Bataille's legacy/tenure really differs depending on who one talks to I guess. All I know is she has been the only President to actually visit this area looking to reconnect alumni with Denton. And she did it twice. For that, I'll always think highly of her.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

In my regular personal dealings, and speaking only of that which I may, Dean Montecino is strongly aware of the fact that athletics drives the ship, and for better or worse is what people first see in a university. This is something he understood even when still with A&S, and has not changed since then.

Now, back into my hole until I say anything... improper. I can assure you, however, that the meeting in question is solely to discuss potential custodial employees once the renovations to 1900 Main are complete, :ninja: :censored:

• Upvote 1

Let's PLEASE stop the Dr. Monticino talk!! As much as people might like him, he will NOT be the next president of UNT. He may be a great person and an advocate for athletics, but UNT is looking for someone who has been a president before. They are not looking for someone that who is training on the job. UNT is in an excellent position to make a big splash with this hire and I am confident they will. They are looking for someone like Dr. Rawlins, but 20 years younger.

• Upvote 1

Let's PLEASE stop the Dr. Monticino talk!! As much as people might like him, he will NOT be the next president of UNT. He may be a great person and an advocate for athletics, but UNT is looking for someone who has been a president before. They are not looking for someone that who is training on the job. UNT is in an excellent position to make a big splash with this hire and I am confident they will. They are looking for someone like Dr. Rawlins, but 20 years younger.

I've heard that somewhere before...oh yeah about hiring of coaches.
  • Upvote 2

Bataille's legacy/tenure really differs depending on who one talks to I guess. All I know is she has been the only President to actually visit this area looking to reconnect alumni with Denton. And she did it twice. For that, I'll always think highly of her.

Alumni Association has just visited your area twice as well...second time with Michael Montecito. So, here's guessing you will always think highly of the Alumni Association as well, right?

BTW...plans are to do more in your area...need to get an even bigger crowd out next time. Great start...ton of fun being with your guys. Your Mom is super cool! Quite a UNT legacy you guys have going!

• Upvote 1

Right. Which Michael is. The moves and shuffling that the administration made with him over the last two years says enough.

Plus, it really makes a lot of sense to have someone who really understands the campus and it's current successes and challenges thoroughly and how to improve on that situation within the existing an future frameworks to operate under.

• Upvote 2

Need a proven fundraiser; not one who could be one or might be one, but a proven fundraiser who knows how to raise monies especially with Texas-based corporations and why? Like in sales, you always have real numbers to prove your point and to go by. Check out these 2 selected Texas university's 2012 endowment totals:

TSU-SM...............Approx. $119 (+/-)

UNT System.........Approx. $112 (+/-)

Maybe Dr. Monticino is the one but if hired...he really needs to be the one. UNT cannot afford to screw up on this hire at this time in our school's history. We don't need a store-keeper...we need someone who will leave the store, be well grounded with Texas politics, Austin, etc, etc, etc, but moreso....on who will go out and raise monies. For whatever reason, we seem to have lost ground in this area among other Texas colleges and universities. I defer to the above 2 totals.

From what I understand as far as all the various criteria of our reaching Tier 1 status as a full fledged research university (not just at the "emerging" status), it is UNT's present endowment coffers that has us sucking hind teat toward reaching that goal at this time. At one time it was just UH, Texas Tech and North Texas; well 2 of those 3 have attained full research university status while the state education officials have now added others for UNT to now compete for this honor.

Can we over-come this? With the right hire I believe most of us believe we can. North Texas is still a university that sits on a gold mine, we just need the right miner with pick in hand who will not theorize about our "potential" but one who will actually go out and help our school realize the potential. For sure we are dramatically much further down the road in doing this today than we were post-presidency of Dr. J.C. Matthews, but looking at other schools like North Texas, we still seem to have lost some ground in this venture.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen