ESPN has faith we'll #hit6

emmitt01

After our stint in the Cotton Bowl in 1981 I swore I'd never go back to Fair Park for any event there and I haven't. I really wish ex Dallas Mayor Laura "too liberal to function" Miller and her City Council would not have stiff armed Jerry Jones who wanted to "only" spend $1 billion plus out there for his new stadium and all the other percs to revitalize that part of Big D but that was yesterday and yesterday's gone

:thumbsu: For a bowl game against the Iowa Hawkeyes (can you say...nirvana)......or even Indiana U I would break that Fair Park "no show" streak.

U of Iowa ? I can still go back to that cold December (1978) morning when I lived off Walnut Hill Lane (Irving) and when KRLD sports announced that Hayden Fry had taken the U of Iowa job. I almost fell out of bed with that announcement because for some strange reason I knew things were about to dramatically change for Mean Green football--boy howdy did they ever; but now I feel so much better than ever about how high our present HFC from the Fry Coaching Tree can take this Mean Green football program with ranked teams toward the top of my personal wish list as something I now see as do-able (again).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

:thumbsu: For a bowl game against the Iowa Hawkeyes (can you say...nirvana)......or even Indiana U I would break that Fair Park "no show" streak.

U of Iowa ? I can still go back to that cold December (1978) morning when I lived off Walnut Hill Lane (Irving) and when KRLD sports announced that Hayden Fry had taken the U of Iowa job. I almost fell out of bed with that announcement because for some strange reason I knew things were about to dramatically change for Mean Green football--boy howdy did they ever; but now I feel so much better than ever about how high our present HFC from the Fry Coaching Tree can take this Mean Green football program with ranked teams toward the top of my personal wish list as something I now see as do-able (again).

GMG!

I have fond memories of being at the Iowa Basketball game on that very cold night when Hayden Fry was announced to the crowd as the new head football coach. Few had ever heard of him. It did not take long for him to be the most famous person in the state. A Hawkeye vs Mean Green bowl game in Dallas would be a dream matchup for me!

• Upvote 1

I have fond memories of being at the Iowa Basketball game on that very cold night when Hayden Fry was announced to the crowd as the new head football coach. Few had ever heard of him. It did not take long for him to be the most famous person in the state. A Hawkeye vs Mean Green bowl game in Dallas would be a dream matchup for me!

The main questiom is who would you root for.....

Right there with you on that possible Cotton Bowl match-up. What a great situation that would be with the Fry legacy being so important to both schools. IMO the best of possible match-ups.

• Upvote 2

The main questiom is who would you root for.....

Tough question to answer.....Iowa is the alma mater for my wife and me along with a majority of our relatives and I have been a Hawkeye fan my entire life....We have lived in DFW for 27 years and my son played for the Mean Green....Due to how closely I now follow the Mean Green program, I would give a slight edge to rooting for North Texas.

• Upvote 1

Tough question to answer.....Iowa is the alma mater for my wife and me along with a majority of our relatives and I have been a Hawkeye fan my entire life....We have lived in DFW for 27 years and my son played for the Mean Green....Due to how closely I now follow the Mean Green program, I would give a slight edge to rooting for North Texas.

So very appreciative you used the "wife and me".... The way people today use "and I" is pretty appalling. Good for you, Sir.

Most of you know I also am a grad of OSU, but when the Mean Green play OSU it is a no brainier for me...Mean Green all the way...BUT OSU was a grad school for me....for Green59 it is a tougher call as Iowa was the undergrad school for both he and his wife. Undergrad usually wins your long-term alliance. We are happy that Green59 has adopted the Mean Green and is such a great fan. Similar case with smoothfresh who comes to u from KState. Appreciate both these guys who do more for the Mean Green than some of our own alums!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The SB Nation web site shows us playing against Arkansas State in the Beef O Brady Bowl in St. Petersburg, Florida on December 23rd. They show Arkansas State as a replacement for the AAC #6 team. That would sure be a better road trip - and a warmer location - than Dallas on New Year's Day.

If DART runs on New Year's Day, I would LOVE to go to the cotton bowl. For me (and my limited "How much for a plane ticket!?!?" budget), taking a train worry free to Dallas and back would be freakin' stellar.

DART runs on holidays under their weekend schedule.

Yes, and if both's trust holds true North Texas will have to win 8 to make it to the Heart O' Dallas Bowl. Since that is the #2 payout in C-USA a 6-win season won't cut it. The winner of the Marshall-ECU game likely has the inside track to the Liberty Bowl. If UNT has a record equal to anyone else in the Conference then I believe that they will play in the Cotton Bowl. That is the best situation that could possibly happen for us. I would hope that we will see 5-10.000 alums attend their first North Texas game since they graduated (or even attended).

Thanks to meangreener's efforts we can hope that fans are inspired and that Saturday's crowd was the floor for future attendance at Apogee. If the Mean Green can win out from here (not an easy task but certainly possible) then they will awaken the sleeping giant.

Yes, I know that they have to learn to win on the road, win back-to-back, keep their head, and all of the requirements that make up a consistent winner. But, I've seen the reports of 900 recruits attending our summer camps and 30-40 recruits and their families attending home games which can really give confidence that this program is moving in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Yes, and if both's trust holds true North Texas will have to win 8 to make it to the Heart O' Dallas Bowl. Since that is the #2 payout in C-USA a 6-win season won't cut it. The winner of the Marshall-ECU game likely has the inside track to the Liberty Bowl. If UNT has a record equal to anyone else in the Conference then I believe that they will play in the Cotton Bowl. That is the best situation that could possibly happen for us. I would hope that we will see 5-10.000 alums attend their first North Texas game since they graduated (or even attended).

Thanks to meangreener's efforts we can hope that fans are inspired and that Saturday's crowd was the floor for future attendance at Apogee. If the Mean Green can win out from here (not an easy task but certainly possible) then they will awaken the sleeping giant.

Yes, I know that they have to learn to win on the road, win back-to-back, keep their head, and all of the requirements that make up a consistent winner. But, I've seen the reports of 900 recruits attending our summer camps and 30-40 recruits and their families attending home games which can really give confidence that this program is moving in the right direction.

Meangreener's efforts can only go so far without wins. We win the next two games and you will see a lot of excitement building around this program. More than we have seen in quite some time. GMG!

Surprised me with that answer... You can always do the Laura Hawk jersey, Brady Quninn sister and AJ Hawks wife

http://projectquinn.com/are-you-a-product-of-a-split-household/

• Upvote 1