John Skladany

ntmeangreen11

Called an excellent game tonight and has turned out to be a fantastic hire. I won't bog you down with stats the proof is in the pudding. I haven't seen a thread complaining about arm tackling once this season. That was a HUGE problem just a couple years ago. The defensive staff has done a solid job of putting these guys in the right position and letting them make plays. We have only allowed 17 total points in the last 8 quarters against two solid opponents. Skladany deserves a lot of credit for the progress we have seen defensively.

GMG

I was ecstatic when UNT got Skladany. I was very impressed with how physical and well-coached his defenses were at IState and UCF, and his staff really was able to get the best out of the players in both programs. I think you just have to go ahead and say that the defensive staff leading the UNT program is at the top of the list in CUSA, or definitely in consideration.

Also, Skladany is not only getting players in "the right position and letting them make plays"--he and his staff are COACHING them, preparing them, and conditioning them well to maximize the talent they have. When they are coached hard and know their assignments because they UNDERSTAND them and know that they are EXPECTED to make plays...well, there's a big difference in performance.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1

Well, when you have consistency for the first time in a long, long time, it's easy to enjoy it. First time these dudes have had the same coordinator for two years.

So true. Any time you are futzing around with staff changes, it sets the program back and you're taking big steps backward in so many ways.

I was ecstatic when UNT got Skladany. I was very impressed with how physical and well-coached his defenses were at IState and UCF, and his staff really was able to get the best out of the players in both programs. I think you just have to go ahead and say that the staff leading the UNT program is at the top of the list in CUSA, or definitely in consideration.

Also, Skladany is not only getting players in "the right position and letting them make plays"--he and his staff are COACHING them, preparing them, and conditioning them well to maximize the talent they have. When they are coached hard and know their assignments because they UNDERSTAND them and know that they are EXPECTED to make plays...well, there's a big difference in performance.

Let's tap the brakes here, please. The terrible offensive game planning for Tulane may return this week in Ruston. If that happens, we will all again be at the bottom of the emotional roller coaster.

A lot of good things have been done on defense. Special teams are better, but FAR from perfect, and the offense is still a HUGE question mark.

Like I said before Tulane, beat a bad team badly at their home field, and then I will get excited.

Tulane turned out not to be that bad. La. Tech is that bed.

Take care of business in all 3 phases for 60 minutes.

• Upvote 1

/skipping 90s bull...

Oak Street Drafthouse.

Predicate ya pal!

OSDH&CP have the "Keep Denton Beer'd" shirts, but I don't think they have the former. Actually, if I recall correctly, there's some tiff going around town as to who actually has the right to sell those, and I think unfortunately this: http://www.cafepress.com/mf/54989018/kdblogoback_tshirt is the best option out there... a women's shirt.

Edited by Christopher Walker

Let's tap the brakes here, please. The terrible offensive game planning for Tulane may return this week in Ruston.

Hang on, Sloopy. I made a typo. Should have clarified--Defensive staff is what I was referring to. Not a blanket endorsement of every phase at this point. Talking about the Skladany effect here.

• Upvote 1

Let's tap the brakes here, please. The terrible offensive game planning for Tulane may return this week in Ruston. If that happens, we will all again be at the bottom of the emotional roller coaster.

A lot of good things have been done on defense. Special teams are better, but FAR from perfect, and the offense is still a HUGE question mark.

Like I said before Tulane, beat a bad team badly at their home field, and then I will get excited.

Tulane turned out not to be that bad. La. Tech is that bed.

what was the difference between the Tulane gameplan and the MTSU gameplan?

what was the difference between the Tulane gameplan and the MTSU gameplan?

More of a difference between MTSU's defensive gameplan and Tulane's defensive game plan.

For whatever reason, MTSU didn't press their safeties and several times only had 6 in the box. If La. Tech does the same thing, run it down their throats. If they don't, will we throw vertical? On 1st down? In the 1st half?

We didn't against Tulane and we didn't against Ohio. Hopefully we have learned our lesson.

I was ecstatic when UNT got Skladany. I was very impressed with how physical and well-coached his defenses were at IState and UCF, and his staff really was able to get the best out of the players in both programs. I think you just have to go ahead and say that the defensive staff leading the UNT program is at the top of the list in CUSA, or definitely in consideration.

This is McCarney's MO--hire the right defensive coach to coach up the low rated kids that can be developed into a stronger unit on the line. Same goes for the Oline, also.

I think McCarney winning this last game to get to 3 wins assures him next season, even we lost the rest of our games, which won't happen. The next steps for development of this program is to learn to win on the road. The next two places are certainly winnable games, for sure, even if they sound like tough games at La Tech and at USM because of their reputations. We need to win of these for sure. If we are 4-4 after these next two games, we get the Texas triplets fo ther next 3 at home. Win 2 of those 3 and you are 6-5 heading into Tulsa, which looks more winnable than any of those thought possible at the beginning of the year. 6 wins or better will get McCarney an extension, for sure.

Right now, this team plays so Jekyll at home and Hyde on the road, though, its just hard to predict anything better than 3-3 the rest of the way.

• Upvote 1

6 wins or better will get McCarney an extension, for sure.

Right now, this team plays so Jekyll at home and Hyde on the road, though, its just hard to predict anything better than 3-3 the rest of the way.

Truly sad that 6 wins will get someone an extension, i want to wait until after next year before deciding, since he will have to use all of his own recruits next year and not the previous coach.

6 wins or even 7 wins is not extension worthy when you have such a veteran team.

Antonio Johnson was not anchoring the line the previous two games and was back against the MUTS, he apparently is the main cog for the O-Line to function well.

While the O-line did play well, they also were not facing an 8 man front the whole game, as has been the case recently.

Johnson was present for the Ohio game. Go back and look at that 1st half.

Again, take what the other defense gives you.

Truly sad that 6 wins will get someone an extension, i want to wait until after next year before deciding, since he will have to use all of his own recruits next year and not the previous coach.

6 wins or even 7 wins is not extension worthy when you have such a veteran team.

I agree with you. Lets at least wait until halfway through next season to give an extension.

If we really feel that will hurt recruiting, extend Mac for 2 years, not an insane 5.

That said, if we make a bowl. You will see RV push for an extension for Mac.

Sadly, it's just what we do.

While the O-line did play well, they also were not facing an 8 man front the whole game, as has been the case recently.

Johnson was present for the Ohio game. Go back and look at that 1st half.

Again, take what the other defense gives you.

We did fine at Ohio with some adjustments, I looked more at the dismal crap of UGA and Tulane. Ohio was lost by pick 6's and the defense choosing unfortunate time to be shredded.

We did fine at Ohio with some adjustments, I looked more at the dismal crap of UGA and Tulane. Ohio was lost by pick 6's and the defense choosing unfortunate time to be shredded.

Not being 0-6 has to be killing you...sorry man. Hang in there.