Recap of Coach Mac Show tonight 7PM

Harry

The main point I heard was still 100% thinks DT gives us the best chance to win. No wavering.

Was not please with the Whitfield error and is putting Buyers in to start. Said it was not a defensive play issue just a technique issue. Still believes in Whitfield as a player.

A less antimated tone than last week overall. Not somber but you could tell he had some disappointment from the loss. Reiterated that Ohio will win a bunch of games and will go bowling again.

The running game issues in his opinion were more of an issue with the running backs and making plays than about holes and the o-line. Said Coach Perry was really going to stress that this week. Said we have good backs, not NFL caliber but good quality college backs and they will play better.

Defended DT on the pick six saying it was a hair away from being a touchdown the other way. Said the Ohio DB just made a great play. Said the UNT WR needs to make a play there.

Said Buyers made a nice interception but erred in running the ball inside instead of outside; said he could have had a TD if he had steered to the sidelines.

Said Loving wasn't ready to help them. Needed a redshirt year.

KRAM has a good question about the tight end and getting them more involved in the offense. Mac said we only have 5 tight ends in the mix. Said he had just had a meeting today about this issue with Quartaro and Chico.

Said the Ball State QB wasn't mobile but had a very good arm and super quick release.

Said that Mason will return at defensive end and hadn't made the trip to Ohio. Sarge played a good game but will hadn't really practiced, will be better this week.

Kept bringing up DT's 75% completion percentage through two games. I'm no math wiz but guessing the 1st game is carrying that percentage for DT.

Macek is pronounced MAcik like MAgic...not MAYSIK... good luck with that one...

Mac was few minutes late not sure if they said why...

They are having some type of Kids Corner type of deal where a lot of young kids are getting bussed to the game on Saturday and will sit in the wing. Mac said it was important to start drawing in younger fans so they will become more attached to the program and experience of going to games.

One guy had an interesting question in regards to delegating responsibility to assistants... Mac brought up something along the lines of he "Meets" or "Consults" with all of his coaches...my translation = Mac is calling the shots.

A lot of Solich praise and love.

Overall a pretty ho hum after a loss type of show. We're close but have to start doing the small things required to win ball games. A lot of defense of the system he and his coaches employ being "proven" and complete confidence in it working once the execution gets better. Praised John Skladany and his knowledge of defenses.

Team never quit. Played hard the entire game.

Talked about early games and how much he likes them because the team isn't having to sit around for so long.

GMG

I just listened to most of it. A couple things to add to Harry's thoughts:

KRAM has a good question about the tight end and getting them more involved in the offense. Mac said we only have 5 tight ends in the mix. Said he had just had a meeting today about this issue with Quartaro and Chico.

Can someone elaborate on this? Was Mac saying 5 TEs is not enough? I don't understand how "only" having 5 TEs is the reason it is not a bigger part of the offense.

Kept bringing up DT's 75% completion percentage through two games. I'm no math wiz but guessing the 1st game is carrying that percentage for DT.

He didn't really answer the questions about DT's inconsistency. If you have a 75% average with one game being 87%, then the other was closer to 60. Mac doesn't seem to want to explain that publicly?

One guy had an interesting question in regards to delegating responsibility to assistants... Mac brought up something along the lines of he "Meets" or "Consults" with all of his coaches...my translation = Mac is calling the shots.

It was a gutsy question, and Mac did not answer it directly. Just talked about week-long and game-time consultation and prep. You could definitely take from this that he has a say in the gameplan, but nothing certain about playcalling.

Edited by greenminer

Defended DT on the pick six saying it was a hair away from being a touchdown the other way. Said the Ohio DB just made a great play. Said the UNT WR needs to make a play there.

GMG

No no no. It wasn't a hair away. It hit the LB right in the numbers. And there was no way the WR could make a play there, HE WAS 5 YARDS FURTHER DOWNFIELD!!

• Upvote 6

No no no. It wasn't a hair away. It hit the LB right in the numbers. And there was no way the WR could make a play there, HE WAS 5 YARDS FURTHER DOWNFIELD!!

i dont know... at first i thought the same thing, but when i saw it again, you can see the receiver break, the LB turns and spots the ball quickly...

the ball was a bullet, but just stayed too low and didnt have enough touch to be the play it could have been

• Upvote 3

A lot of defense of the system he and his coaches employ being "proven" and complete confidence in it working once the execution gets better. Praised John Skladany and his knowledge of defenses.

Translation: The coach is doing his job, it's the kids who are causing the losses. Gee, where have I heard that before?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The running game issues in his opinion were more of an issue with the running backs and making plays than about holes and the o-line. Said Coach Perry was really going to stress that this week. Said we have good backs, not NFL caliber but good quality college backs and they will play better.

They are having some type of Kids Corner type of deal where a lot of young kids are getting bussed to the game on Saturday and will sit in the wing. Mac said it was important to start drawing in younger fans so they will become more attached to the program and experience of going to games.

Just as I predicted in the chat they would see on film,.. that the holes were there but the backs weren't hitting them.

And if its so important to get the kids involved why not bring back the Jr Mean Green Club Spirit line to start the second half, and allow post game access for them on the field like we used to?

Rick

• Upvote 3