I'm going to agree with Ms. Schilleci on this

Harry

The blanket idea that a QB has to learn from the sidelines is hogwash. So is the idea of fragile confidence.

Penn State is playing a true frosh. Multiple FCS teams are. It comes down to coaching and the QBs ability to play the position, not some archaic blanket notion.

Oh... and Penn St has a 5 star rated QB who had an offer from AL... kinda different scenario.

• Upvote 2

Oh... and Penn St has a 5 star rated QB who had an offer from AL... kinda different scenario.

And just where was BB rated coming out of high school? Don't we have a loud chorus of people telling us that high school accolades are worthless?

Besides, all we've heard for three years now is how great DT is in practice. Haven't we, of all fan bases, realized that in game performance is a world apart from a controlled practice.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was understood that Charlie Weis and Bergland werent bffs.... Didnt he run into some headline drama that Kansas did not like also? I dont think ANYONE but his team could gage him at this point being that noone has seen him play a college game. Theres obviously a reason for that somewhere...

• Upvote 3

For a program that has had 8 losing seasons in a row, aren't we being way too cautious about too many things here? Too cautious? At Ohio U, perhaps we started out our offensive game plan a tad too cautious with more than an ounce of hesitancy,too? He who hesitates does what? Nevermind...that ones done.

Where are the riverboat gambler types; you know, such as the one that got me hooked into all this Mean Green football business as a student then later as an alum in the first place back September, circa 1973?

Haven't we seen some programs completely void at the QB position sometimes have to start a true freshmen? Seems Kenny Washington who played his Texas HS football at his dad's-pcoached Port Arthur Lincoln HS and brother of OU All American Joe Washington had that dubious honor at UNT in 1974.

Yes, a 2 win season in '74 but the next season we found coast to coast nationally recognized gold at the end of our rainbow in Mean Green Country. Did you know that at the NCAA Winter's convention following the Mean Green's 1975 season that our alma mater was the talk of the town (or rather that particular convention) with our sudden rise among the NCAA Division 1 ranks)? And FWIW...what were all our former Sun Belt Conference-mates and most of our new CUSA mates doing in 1975; that is, during that particular time in their own respective college football histories? :)

North Texas Ken Washington would also later perform a masterful QB's surgical performance on Southern Methodist University and help lead the way over the 'Stangs which as I recall was our first win over SMU in the modern era of the NCAA.

No, don't throw em' out to the wolves if you don't have to, but we cannot forget that we have more than this season to be looking ahead to as well.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And Tech is starting a freshman walk-on

Tech's first option is out with an injury a rs soph. (brewer). The other two choices were a true freshman and a true freshman walk-on. That walk-on is also a 3* recruit with multiple DI offers, one from mike leach. Not that that's a huge recruit, but not your average walk-on.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

Not true. This is inaccurate. In D1& 2- you can play 2 contests or less than 20% of the season and still redshirt per NCAA rules.

You are confusing a hardship (medical) redshirt with the usual redshirt. You can not play one second in a game and get a regular redshirt for that year unless you qualify for a hardship redshirt.

• Upvote 2

Not true. This is inaccurate. In D1& 2- you can play 2 contests or less than 20% of the season and still redshirt per NCAA rules.

That sounds like a medical redshirt/hardship waiver. I thought a non-medical redshirt was impossible the second you stepped on the field and took a snap.

Not certain, and I'm finding conflicting info on the web.

• Upvote 1

You have to give DT the chance to win that game once we came back. We cant lose the same way again though. If DT struggles again, we need to see Dajon or BB.

Sad part is, we may not see BB until Georgia. Kinda messed up, but that may be his only shot. DT will probably struggle, and we will need a moblie QB. They may be scared to put Dajon out there. Roll BB out there and say see, we gave you a shot.

I doubt we see BB. My understanding is he is #4.

What has happened to all those 2 and 3 TE sets that we ran out of last year? There is a whole lot of talk, in this thread, of "never" developing a running game if our QB doesn't run. We didn't have a running QB last year and we seemed to do fine.

Yes, great question. Where are they?

• Upvote 1

isn't it Mrs. Pedigo? (although some have indicated they wish it was Ms. Schilleci)

and as for eligibility

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/behind+the+blue+disk/division+i+football+recruiting

What are redshirting and grayshirting? Redshirting and grayshirting are delays in a student-athlete’s participation with a team. Typically, a student-athlete is eligible to compete in a certain sport for four years. However, a student-athlete may wait to compete for up to two years, extending his or her eligibility to five or six years. During a redshirt year, a student-athlete is signed to a team, enrolls at the start of a school’s academic year and practices, but does not compete. In a grayshirt situation, a student-athlete attends college classes but is not an official member of a team and does not practice or compete.

Why would a student-athlete choose to redshirt or grayshirt? There are many reasons student-athletes choose to redshirt. They may want to gain a year of practice with the team or add size and strength before competing. They may redshirt if playing opportunities at their position are limited. If a student-athlete loses the majority of a season to injury, he or she may apply for a hardship waiver, known as a medical redshirt. Typically, student-athletes choose to grayshirt if they are injured just before college and need a full year to recuperate.

so there are no exceptions for players playing any portion of the season and still taking a redshirt unless they have a documented injury (like say an undersized scrambling type QB that gets a head injury) and even then they have to apply for the hardship waiver and it is not guaranteed

barring injury and a successful appeal for a hardship waiver participation even in a single play results in the use of a year of eligibility

and as for brock and comparing him to other highly touted freshman recruits that are now starting for their teams

1. those players showed up at their respective universities PARTICIPATED IN PRACTICES AND SPRING DRILLS instead of flying home to hold on to mommies apron strings and unrequited love interest

2. they refrained from racking up any police charges that precluded them participating in more team activities and practices and resulted in them being a distraction to the team

3. when told they were going to have to step up and compete for the job they stepped up and competed for the job and or waited until injury afforded them the opportunity to play VS transfering

4. if they were to transfer they would have most likely transferred to a place they intended to try and compete and finish their eligibility instead of transferring to a place where they thought playing time would be handed to them based on year and a half old press clippings followed up with little if any practice time much less playing time and off the field legal issues

5. if they transferred yet again they would make sure to get the playbook down in a year and to be in top condition going into spring and fall workouts so they could present their best case for playing time

so there is a difference between players that are fresh out of school, competing immediately, and staying out of trouble VS someone that is two years+ removed from those press clippings and that has been sitting on the sidelines or partying back at home and getting in trouble while looking for the next place to transfer to instead of competing

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 3

SSP, on 09 Sept 2013 - 5:58 PM, said

Your getting a Hardship Waiver mixed up with a standard Redshirt that pertains to the 5-year-rule, which states... you have 5 years to play four. You cannot participate in a single down of football then recieve a standard redshirt.

After sitting the entire year, and despite being down by 10 points,...Derrick Thompson was inserted for the first time all year in the final three minutes of the final game of a 2-10 season in 2009 against Arkansas State and forfeited his standard redshirt season.

Yes,... one of our genius masterminds actually did that. Yet, as has so many years before, and years since,...this unrealistic, inpatient fan base you have been preaching to continued to support and buy tickets and travel to away games and took a pretty good crowd to Clemson S.C. 9 months later.

As for a Hardship Waiver, allow me to introduce you to NCAA legislative bylaw 14.2.4.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/bylawSearch?bylawSearchSubmit=viewHtml&division=1&textTerms=&titleTerms=&keyValue=20655&reportType=NotMain&adopted=0

The part that pertains to the misinformation....

Title:14.2.4 - Hardship Waiver.

A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions: (Revised: 8/8/02, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08)

a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institutions or occurs after the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/1/01, 8/8/02)

b)The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (see Bylaw 14.2.4.3.4) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/3/02, 4/24/08)

c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport......... (Adopted: 4/24/08)

So for instance, in a scheduled 12 game football season, if an athlete sustains an incapacitating injury and does not play beyond the third game of that year he can then apply for this Hardship Waiver.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Harry is exactly right. You can't throw an unprepared freshman quarterback on the field, risk damaging his confidence just to appease a curious "what if" scenario... it goes back to the phrase that sports is 80% mental. If anything, the staffs protectiveness of him may speak volumes about what they expect him to do in the future. If he couldn't hack it, he'd be RS. He's just not ready. YET.

How about Tx. Tech starting a walk on freshman QB, didn't take long for him to mature.

• Upvote 1

From what I understand text didn't really have a choice, did they?

I think they have both a soph and junior QB on their roster but neither has seen game action.

You seem to want to ignore whether its working or not and focus strictly on why other teams are doing it.

And yes I know a true frosh QB would make frustrating mistakes like throwing pick 6s and last minute INTs. Willing to live with that.

Edited by meanrob

I think they have both a soph and junior QB on their roster but neither has seen game action.

You seem to want to ignore whether its working or not and focus strictly on why other teams are doing it.

And yes I know a true frosh QB would make frustrating mistakes like throwing pick 6s and last minute INTs. Willing to live with that.

I try my best not to compare apples to oranges. Keeps me sane.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2

I try my best not to compare apples to oranges. Keeps me sane.

I think you take a position then try to ignore the facts. Frosh QBs are playing and succeeding (struggling too to be fair).

Would DW succeed? I don't know. I'm not advocating playing him, but the notion he shouldn't play due to fragile confidence is absurd.

You might want to check out Chucky Keeton at Utah State. Played as a true fresh and his confidence was so damaged he led his team to 10-2 last year and was all-WAC QB. He was a Texas high school QB recruited less than Dajon.