Now what?

emmitt01

Let's say we come out for our first offensive series against Idaho and they put eight in the box with their safeties within two yards of the LOS...now what?

What do you (honestly) think we'll do?

What do you hope we'll do? Do we have the personnel to do it?

I think we see the same stuff as last year, but we'll try to throw more. We have the personnel at receiver to spread a team out, especially Idaho.

I still think we'll run a lot on first down. DT will have time to through and receivers who can get open. He has to convert now.

We will run the damn football!

If only for a yard.

I simply don't see the offense changing without a change at QB. And this is not a shot at DT. It's not his fault that the head coach will not pass the football (other than screens) on 1st down.

We may beat Idaho without a vertical passing game, but we won't beat the next 4 opponents without one.

Saturday will be VERY interesting.

Let's say we come out for our first offensive series against Idaho and they put eight in the box with their safeties within two yards of the LOS...now what?

What do you (honestly) think we'll do?

What do you hope we'll do? Do we have the personnel to do it?

Play action and throw the ball down the field. I don't care if he has to settle for a 5 yard gain, because I will take 2nd and 5 all day long.

• Upvote 1

My hope is that fans don't immediately overreact regardless of the adjustment or lack thereof in response to a single play/formation/alignment.

Overreact?

I think that will depend on results. I don't care if we run it 60 times a game as long as we win.

Same DT as last year+same game plan+same results = A LOT of fan "overreaction."

If there was ever a game that actually running the ball 80% might be a good idea, its this one. You give your OL and RBs, which are the strength of your offense, the opportunity to wear down the defense in the heat. Plus, you can actually save some wrinkles for the passing game for the next few weeks against those MAC teams that are immensely better than Idaho.

I wouldn't get too cute in this game. Usually, I would say to throw the ball more, but I don't think we are going to need to try that too much. I think we will run the ball down their throat and setup a few throws to get some TDs. As I mentioned, I think this is a game where Dickey-Ball will make a lot of sense, especially if we get control the line of scrimmage. The only way I see us having to pass a lot on Saturday is if Idaho either builds up a lead or stays in the game because our defense can't stop them. I don't believe Idaho has that kind of talent to run Petrino's scheme effectively--yet. Maybe later in the year, but not right now.

27-17 Mean Green

• Upvote 1

Idaho's DC and Secondary Coach is in his first season with the team.

Their secondary is suspect for a few reasons - lack of returning starters, youth, learning a new system etc. As recently as Friday their DC Ronnie Lee said this: "Right now, there are no starters, we're still evaluating, still seeing where guys stand,"

I predict huge YAC. Could be a record day for our QB(s).

• Upvote 1

I just fear a repeat of the TSU game last year. I thought we would walk all over them, but our passing attack was an absolute joke. Go back and look at the number of balls overthrown. Just tough to watch, and part of me fears a repeat of that game.

I think that game was one where the coaches thought they could build up DTs confidence by having a big game against a really bad opponent at home. So they gameplanned around him to throw a lot more and he had a really bad day. I think it probably surprised Mac and Chico at just how bad he was against Texas Southern at home, considering that he wasn't all that bad at freaking LSU the week before. I think the KSU game helped them to believe that it was an anomaly, but then the Troy game happened at home and it was basically obvious at that point that he had to just be a busdriver-type QB. He is not someone who can take over a game.

I suspect that he will hand off the ball alot in this game and that we will just pound the spuds back into the ground. If they are going to open up the offense for DT to throw more, I actually suspect it won't be until the home game against Ball State. I doubt very seriously that we will throw much at Ohio, unless we just have too. That's my guess anyway...