Good news and bad news out of #1 UNT scrimmage

Harry

OK so here's the good and bad for me/ Let's start with the bad so we can end on a positive.

The Bad

- Really wanted to see Brock come out and make a statement in week one. Disheartening to hear that he didn't. Part of my desire for his progression is his his (and McNulty's ability to push #7 to play better because I really think in my heart of hearts that #7 is our starter against Idaho and will remain so until significant mistakes/losses occur.

- People are right that the defense usually dominates in Spring and Fall camp but it has been my experience that it only gets worse as time goes on. As time goes on the defense will start to dominate more because frankly they know the plays and the offensive player tendencies. So I'm disappointed that the offense did not start out better given all of the preseason workouts and conditioning that they have been through.

- It would be one thing if Mac was happy with one of the three QB's and it seemed in Vito's write-up that Berglund was singled out due to the question being asked about him specifically, but Mac seemed dis-satisfied with all three of our top three guys. After 1 of essentially 3 weeks of action we are "inconsistent" at the most important position on the squad. That's 33.3% of the time we have left before Idaho...ugh...

The Good

- defense is playing well.

- Freshman QB Dajon Williams may be really special. For Chico to say he has "innate abilities" as a true freshman --- that the other three don't have is significant.

- TE Marcus Smith is finally healthy and could be a big time difference maker for us. 6-4, 255 guys that can run, block and catch don't grow on trees.

- Doubly good to hear nice things about Juco TE Chris Loving because it gives us more depth at the position. If you can get 1.5 years out of a juco player you are doing good and it appears that Loving could provide that.

- There did not appear to be any significant injuries.

- It's still early and as some have pointed out Mac may be trying to motivate the QB's and the offense in general. Break them down a bit and then build them up to a crescendo for Idaho.

GMG

I'll say this right now, if the offense continues to sputter we're looking at a Dickeyball type of season. Mac hates mistakes and turnovers -- he will dumb this thing down and run traps and draws all day long with the occasional play action pass. Let's hope these guys can turn it around and quickly.

I'll say this right now, if the offense continues to sputter we're looking at a Dickeyball type of season. Mac hates mistakes and turnovers -- he will dumb this thing down and run traps and draws all day long with the occasional play action pass. Let's hope these guys can turn it around and quickly.

Because it worked so well last season...
  • Upvote 2

Hey...I would like nothing more than a dominating offense, paired with a dominating defense, BUT I will take ANYTHING that gets us to that magical number of 6 wins

• Upvote 2

In your experience at North Texas when has a quarterback had a mediocre previous year, mediocre spring, get lukewarm praise from the coach, and then have a great year?

I'm not rooting for or against anyone in the QB battle, but nothing has happened so far for me to think much has changed.

• Upvote 3

Isn't a magical season the season we go undefeated? Win a National Title? And if I was to qualify for us, finish the season ranked in the top ten in all the rankings?

6-6 is not even a winning season and in the stats it is listed with the losing seasons:

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=cfbdatawarehouse.com

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Isn't a magical season the season we go undefeated? Win a National Title? And if I was to qualify for us, finish the season ranked in the top ten in all the rankings?

6-6 is not even a winning season and in the stats it is listed with the losing seasons:

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=cfbdatawarehouse.com

Do you watch baseball? Magical as in, 6 is our magic number to reach postseason play or at least be eligible. Not as in a magical 6 win season.
  • Upvote 1

Do you watch baseball? Magical as in, 6 is our magic number to reach postseason play or at least be eligible. Not as in a magical 6 win season.

6-6 just allows eligibility, and a long ways from the payoffs where in the old days only 4 teams in all of baseball made the payoffs. What is there 30+ bowl games now more than half of FBS goes to bowls these days.

• Downvote 1

6-6 just allows eligibility, and a long ways from the payoffs where in the old days only 4 teams in all of baseball made the payoffs. What is there 30+ bowl games now more than half of FBS goes to bowls these days.

That's what I said, eligibility. I understand making a low-tier bowl game isn't as prestigious as winning a division with half of the American or national league in it, but that's a magic number.

We all want more then that, but 6 wins would at least give us a chance.

• Upvote 1

I guess we have different ideas of magical, I simply expect a wining season. In our history we have had more winning seasons than losing still, think we should all expect it and demand it.

If you want to define magical in present day situation and context, I'd take 8-4 with a bowl win over an AQ team.

Not at all realistic to start looking at 10-2 or better yet.

I guess we have different ideas of magical, I simply expect a wining season. In our history we have had more winning seasons than losing still, think we should all expect it and demand it.

Our magic number to reach bowl ELIGIBILITY is 6. 6 wins

A magical season would be winning our division and then our conference championship and finishing the season ranked with double digit victories. That is my idea of a magical season. Not the same thing as a magic number.

So how did "Going bowling is magical." become "magic number" a reference to MLB baseball, that started when only a hand full of teams could make the playoffs.

Maybe it is me but the magic of the number fades once more than half league go? Why, because its not as special any more. Sure if you want to work what is a much more special term from MLB baseball to be used as FBS bowling eligibility yes I agree, but I feel it is a sad miss use of the term.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1