But, but....the pageantry!

oldguystudent

Well, in my day in the HS band (mid-60's) I don't remember it getting up to 100 as many times as it has in the last 10 years. Plus we never practiced in the mid-afternoon. Just early in the morning or after 6.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with the band wearing shorts, polos, and baseball caps for the first two games. What I object to is the enron-like logo that they use for the band. The Band represents the University, they should wear the University logos.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Speaking of hot weather and pagentry...why can't the COM spring for a hot weather uniform? Shorts and polo shirt that is standard to all. No more different shades and even patterns of khaki. This is one of the premier college bands in the country and should dress to match that reputation.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of hot weather and pagentry...why can't the COM spring for a hot weather uniform? Shorts and polo shirt that is standard to all. No more different shades and even patterns of khaki. This is one of the premier college bands in the country and should dress to match that reputation.

I think the GB members might have to provide their own shorts, which would explain the different shades of khaki. If they have a uni account, I would be glad to contribute to it, if it would help standardize the shorts.

That is correct, or at least it was the case a few years ago.

I never saw this thread. I'm a bit surprised that Dr. Williams posted, since my impression of him is that he is above responding to musical cretans such as us. His response is pretty consistent with the "prima donna" reputation of the school of music. I did find this segment of his response interesting.....

"The band students pay tuition to be in the marching band class. I would not expect them to purchase "band shorts" to be worn once or twice."

And to that I say so what? I paid tuition to be in a PE class. One of which was soccer, for which I paid for my soccer shoes out of my own pocket. I suspect that the students that are paying tuition to be in the band are getting PE credit for it.

• Downvote 1

I was in the brigade from 95-97 and we never had a shorts game...we could take off our coats and that's it.. I also don't remember getting pe credit for band...it was just a one hour credit...not sure what department it was for but just one hour...

i was in the band for fun...not a music major, nor on scholly...damn...what was i thinking!

Edited by THOR

I was in the brigade from 95-97 and we never had a shorts game...we could takeoff our coats and that's it.. I alo don't remember getting pe credit for band...it was just a one hour credit...not sure what department it was for but just one hour...

I think they deserve more than that!

I was GB '99 and '01, and I think the schedule is the hardest part about it. Many were irked that only 1.0 credit hour was rewarded for a class that took up many hours every week.

Regardless, I loved my time there.

Considering the time and talent that it takes for this "class", I agree that one credit is not enough.

• Upvote 1

Well, in my day in the HS band (mid-60's) I don't remember it getting up to 100 as many times as it has in the last 10 years. Plus we never practiced in the mid-afternoon. Just early in the morning or after 6.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with the band wearing shorts, polos, and baseball caps for the first two games. What I object to is the enron-like logo that they use for the band. The Band represents the University, they should wear the University logos.

Well, the hottest day in 1965 was Sept 14th at 104 degrees, if that helps jog the memory? It was probably just as hot but you being the young stallion of the time it just didn't faze you all that much? :crazysmile:

http://weatherspark.com/history/30025/1965/Dallas-Texas-United-States

Rick

Well, the hottest day in 1965 was Sept 14th at 104 degrees, if that helps jog the memory? It was probably just as hot but you being the young stallion of the time it just didn't faze you all that much? :crazysmile:

http://weatherspark.com/history/30025/1965/Dallas-Texas-United-States

Rick

Actually.....

"The hottest day of 1965 was September 14, with a high temperature of 101°F"

And if I'm reading that chart correctly, Sept 14th was the only 100 degree day that year.

addendum: The information on that page was for Dallas...a known heat island. In Decatur, it was probably a degree or two (or three) cooler.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Actually.....

"The hottest day of 1965 was September 14, with a high temperature of 101°F"

And if I'm reading that chart correctly, Sept 14th was the only 100 degree day that year.

addendum: The information on that page was for Dallas...a known heat island. In Decatur, it was probably a degree or two (or three) cooler.

Excuse me buddy. That 104 was in 1967. The average high during that time from '65-'67 was 96 degrees.

http://weatherspark.com/history/30025/1967/Dallas-Texas-United-States

Rick

• Upvote 1

What I object to is the enron-like logo that they use for the band. The Band represents the University, they should wear the University logos.

That "Logo" dates at least to the purchase of the current uniforms, and possibly all the back to when the band voted to call themselves "The Green Brigade" in the mid-80s, shortly after I graduated. A GB member from that time period may be able to confirm this. Certainly, long before the "SOW" was created.

I wouldn't be surprised would expect if/when new uniforms are purchased to see the "SOW" replace that logo. After all, we did have the original "Flying Worm" on the band uniforms from the mid-70s to the early 80s.

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 1

Unless something has changed, your PE credit can either be Marching Band, Intro PE, or Nutrition. They used to require 2 credit hours, which is why they only provided 1 credit for Marching Band - so that you had to stick with it for 2 years lest you'd have to take one of the others in addition. I believe there was some sort of change with PE credits, but I can't remember if it was the number of hours provided for one or more of the classes, or if it was the required credit hours for the core curriculum (I'm sure it's in the Catalog of Classes on www.unt.edu). Part of why they "get away" with only providing 1 credit for all of the work is that it's generally considered both a credit for coursework as well as an extracurricular. So in that sense, wouldn't it be cool to get a credit hour for each of the extracurriculars you put in tons of hours for while you were a student?

There's an excellent, obvious reason for that one.

I never saw this thread. I'm a bit surprised that Dr. Williams posted, since my impression of him is that he is above responding to musical cretans such as us. His response is pretty consistent with the "prima donna" reputation of the school of music. I did find this segment of his response interesting.....

"The band students pay tuition to be in the marching band class. I would not expect them to purchase "band shorts" to be worn once or twice."

And to that I say so what? I paid tuition to be in a PE class. One of which was soccer, for which I paid for my soccer shoes out of my own pocket. I suspect that the students that are paying tuition to be in the band are getting PE credit for it.

I was GB '99 and '01, and I think the schedule is the hardest part about it. Many were irked that only 1.0 credit hour was rewarded for a class that took up many hours every week.

Regardless, I loved my time there.

The Green Brigade, like every other ensemble within the CoM, is a one hour course because the degree plans for music majors could not be completed in any semblance of timeliness of financial viability otherwise.

In reality though, the hours involved in ensemble work tends to be something in the range of 5 hours to 20 hours per week, not including outside practicing for individual instrumental, vocal, theory or composition studies, other core coursework and often outside jobs to make rent. And for what? For upwards of a dozen major performances tops along with hundreds of weakly-attended smaller ones, only to be criticized for minute things that are inconsequential to the underlying goal of music making at the highest level possible.

And folks wonder where our "prima donna" leanings come from.

Simply put, though the GB is a slightly different case by its natural and relation to Athletics, people need to start realizing that we musicians are just like the rest of you; we're dedicating ourselves to a profession that is severely undervalued, that takes up a monumental portion of our lives, and is such where we feel easily insulted by the many subjugations of those who do not fully understand our world. We make no assumptions of making the same critical comments over professions that we're not of either.

So, there, I guess.

/thread.

I'm not sure about everybody else, but the only area where I'm torn with the GB is that so many (that I've known) don't want to do it and feel coerced into it as part of their degree plan. But on the other hand, if it's not required, then we wouldn't have the best damn marching band in the nation with all of those talented people, now would we?

(Disclaimer: I'm married to a Drumline Goddess. So almost 2 decades later, I still get the speeches about what a pain it was but that it was worth it.)