As a North Texas fan suffering through a 4-win 2012 season it was pretty easy to lay the blame on #7. Derek Thompson (DT), in his junior year had his struggles throwing as many interceptions as he did touchdown passes (14 TD's-14 INT's). He also made some bad decisions at key points in key game like throwing an ill advised interception at the start of the 4th quarter against Western Kentucky when UNT was winning the game 24-10. Of course WKU came back to win that game and a big upset win on the road to end the season slipped through Dan McCarney's fingers like sand.

Since then, UNT fans have seen the dream of future star quarterback recruit Brock Berglund taking the reins fade. Berglund came highly regarded as a three star transfer from Kansas. A pulled hamstring in the beginning of spring training limited his snaps and put him way behind Thompson heading into this season. It's not that Berglund doesn't have the skills - he does - but he has yet to put them all together and a turnover conscious McCartney isn't likely to roll the dice on him, at least early on in the season. Mac needs wins and he despises turnovers. With all the upside athleticism Berglund possesses he is basically a new quarterback to this system - and the FBS game itself. He will make some mistakes on the field as he earns his stripes.

read more:

There's no sugar coating it. DT did hold our team back last year. We've gone in circles with this argument so many times, and honestly, I think we will continue to until the season starts and probably after. It's fun though, so why not?

In the 2013 record poll I talked about how inneffective DT was during some of our home games, in particular the TSU, Troy, and South Alabama games. In all 3 games we out rushed the opponent but were out gained through the air. All 3 games DT completed less than 50% of his passes. We lost the Troy game and would have lost the other two if we had been playing anyone other than FCS for Texas Southern and newly FBS South Alabama. Losing a home game despite only giving up 14 points may have been the low point of last season for all of us.

We know that we haven't been very good on the road under Coach Mac, but we have been decent at home (7-4 to be exact). During the last two years DT is completing 53% of his passes. Yes that number is maybe lowered by some drops, but guys like Darnell Smith, Ivan Delgado, and Andrew Power have bailed DT out on more than a few throws so that cancels out the drops potentially skewing his completion percentage. Blaming the receivers for this passing game futility is weak. They weren't a great group last year, but to give them all or even the majority of the blame is ridiculous.

We all know that we struggle on the road, so that means we have to take care of business at home. If DT is still completing just 53% of his passes, especially with as much time as we give him to throw, we will struggle to win 2 games at home (Idaho and UTSA) or overall for that matter. He can improve and he's going to have to.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

We just have a bunch of dumb receivers that don't even know where they're supposed to be. Furthermore, they probably couldn't catch it even if they were in the right place.

Gray Eagle--I'm sorry your sarcasm wasn't sensed by the three people who gave you a minus. I'll bump you up for a great reply!! Love sarcasm that goes over lots of heads...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We definitely have to get away from running all the time on 1st down. I recall one of the televised games last year where the announcer referred to this stat. It was ridiculous, almost 100%, how there was no variety.

• Upvote 1

It was obvious to anyone watching the entire field during games last year - DT's favorite, go-to-receiver was Spiriki (at home at least). It's an accuracy problem, and if he's spent the offseason working on that and not getting impaled, we should see notable improvement.

• Upvote 2

It was obvious to anyone watching the entire field during games last year - DT's favorite, go-to-receiver was Spiriki (at home at least). It's an accuracy problem, and if he's spent the offseason working on that and not getting impaled, we should see notable improvement.

Thank you. I spit out these stats all the time but I don't see how DT passed the eye test in anyone's opinion. After watching DT in the spring game I don't see how anything notable has changed. But it has to.

Yes, the first-down run percentage is too high, but we need to be more effective passing the ball. Whatever down it may be.

The question is, does DT have a shorter leash this year?

Or maybe the question is, do Mac and Chico mix it up a little more on offense if someone else is under center?

I know it goes against most of the feeling on this board, but I'm holding out judgement of DT until the first game or two. I've got a feeling (okay, maybe just hope) that he's going to show major improvement. I think a combination of improved play calling, confidence, experience, etc. are going to come together to really improve our passing game.

Harry, Vito, really doesn't matter.

The fact is everyone knows coach Mac is ultra-conservative, especially on 1st down.

If the pattern continues, so will the record.

Oh boy, are you ever right...his conservative approach, not only on first downs, costs us 2-3 games last year...and it was easy to see the turning points in the game when he made the ultra conservative decisions....you would say to yourself.."that was a terrible decision...now your screwed" and guess what ; we were. I hope he is more aggressive this year...if we win less than 6 games I will be wanting a coaching change, or if we lose to UTSA...that truely would be a disgrace. Looking for a great season and I have high expectations this year.

Oh boy, are you ever right...his conservative approach, not only on first downs, costs us 2-3 games last year...and it was easy to see the turning points in the game when he made the ultra conservative decisions....you would say to yourself.."that was a terrible decision...now your screwed" and guess what ; we were. I hope he is more aggressive this year...if we win less than 6 games I will be wanting a coaching change, or if we lose to UTSA...that truely would be a disgrace. Looking for a great season and I have high expectations this year.

I guess it is all those years of watching Dickey Ball. I don't walk away from games thinking we were overly conservative.

• Upvote 5

I know it goes against most of the feeling on this board, but I'm holding out judgement of DT until the first game or two. I've got a feeling (okay, maybe just hope) that he's going to show major improvement. I think a combination of improved play calling, confidence, experience, etc. are going to come together to really improve our passing game.

We're all hoping that he improves and will gladly give him a chance to do so. I personally am being critical of his performance last year, but it'll be easily forgives with a good year this year and a bowl.
  • Upvote 2

I think the K-State game shows he's capable. I still wonder what would have happened in that game had we not given up that kickoff return after we scored... that was one of the biggest letdowns I can ever recall.

I don't think it was ALL DT's fault. I don't think he would be playing if it were all his fault.

I'll be interested to see how he does after shedding a few pounds and hopefully becoming a little more mobile. I think if he doesn't respond well to that request from Chico/Mac, we may see Berglund and/or McNulty rather quickly.

• Upvote 2

I guess it is all those years of watching Dickey Ball. I don't walk away from games thinking we were overly conservative.

NO kidding--some of those games in his last two years were so boring, I thought about falling asleep. Talk about give-up. 3rd down and 8 = draw play...

• Upvote 2

I think the K-State game shows he's capable. I still wonder what would have happened in that game had we not given up that kickoff return after we scored... that was one of the biggest letdowns I can ever recall.

That game was a perfect blueprint for play calling in my opinion. Most, almost all, of DT's completions came on hitches and slants that game. Then when we got close to the goal line we gave the ball to Jimmerson and used misdirection to get Chancellor the ball in the open space. Those plays worked and we should do more of that this year.

We also put Chancellor in the wildcat and that was pretty effective as well. I wouldn't mind seeing that this year again, but the coaches might be scared to do that after his injury last year.

• Upvote 1

I agree with everyone who says we need more balance on first downs.

Concerning DT:

no FBS OL allowed less sacks than NTs OL. And we can't say that the main reason is that the QB released the ball so quickly all the time.

This means that the receivers may have been subpar.... but they must have been really really awful for a decent QB not to thrive a little bit more with so little pressure. I would say that at least a decent part of the blame lies with the QB at that point.

That said: Do we have someone better? If things don't work this season, it would be nice to at least get to see if we do.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2