UNT hires former Marquette Asst. Scott Monarch

Harry

"He's somebody I trust and have great respect for." - Horrifying.

"He's got a proven track record at Marquette." - He sure does.

He was at Northern Colorado ?

http://www.claflin.edu/claflin-news/2013/05/15/monarch-mcchester-selected-to-lead-claflin-basketball-programs

Monarch is coming to Claflin from the University of Northern Colorado where he was an assistant coach last year.

It doesn't sound like he's trying to dodge the fact that he was terminated at Marquette and made poor judgment. I agree that these sound like minor violations--the lying about it bothers me more than anything. But he's owning up to it now, and I believe in second chances. Hopefully, he'll prove himself worthy of his.

• Upvote 2

Guy made a mistake, has admitted it and seems to be someone that Benford really believes in. I think he paid a pretty heavy price for his mistake btw. Count me in the group willing to give him a chance. Welcome aboard Coach Monarch.

I think we all see the negatives. Pretty sketchy.

I'd like to see some positives. Particularly, coach Monarch, in his interview with Howard, says that he excels in coaching transition offense. We already know how well Jordan plays in transition. If Monarch gets his improved transition offensive system in, I would expect Jordan to be one of the top scorers in C-USA this year.

Coach Monarch also touts his recruiting prowess and connections he has in Texas, particularly in the JUCO's. So we should expect some fantastic recruits this offseason.

Going to need to win.

• Upvote 4

Some amazing comments here about Coach Monarch...but, you know..."only at Noth Texas".

The guy is OUR new coach...for one, I am willing to give him all the support he needs to help the program. Welcome to the Mean Green Nation Coach.

Hope you have learned from the past mistake...put it behind you now, and let's get on with coaching the Mean Green!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Some amazing comments here about Coach Monarch...but, you know..."only at Noth Texas".

The guy is OUR new coach...for one, I am willing to give him all the support he needs to help the program. Welcome to the Mean Green Nation Coach.

I would definitely question his character. He signed a contract...honor the contract. I did not say he was of "low character"...I said that I would have issues with his character. Just like June Jones at SMU. I can promise you that if I were the AD at SMU, June Jones would no longer be the head coach at SMU. No threat...just plain facts in my world. No hard feelings...just don't let the door hit you in the rear as you leave. Clean out your office now and see ya!

Everyone is "free" to choose what he would do and how that would be handled in such situations, and I am not saying that it is not "common practice" in the world of sports these days. Just saying, if you cannot be true to your word, for whatever reason...and if that "change" is due to your personal decision...well, yes, there is a character issue. AND, I see it as a problem through out today's society. So much so that many people see nothing wrong at all with going back on one's word to grab a "better deal".

I was simply raised differently and raised my kids differently. You can choose how you want to handle your own situation.

62 days.

Someone else gave him the second chance he wanted, and he bailed on them after 62 days to come here.

Forget the fact that he lied to Marquette and he lied to NCAA investigators. Put aside the any sort of discussion of whether he's a great coach, or just another signpost on the wretched path we've been walking since hiring Benford.

According to your own criteria, this guy has "character issues".

Don't scold people who think we may have made a terrible decision. A year ago, you were lecturing us all about how exactly what Monarch did to come here is, in your book, cause for immediate termination.

Come on, now. Lying to the NCAA during am investigation of your program is far less of a lie than fudging your resume with a fake Masters degree.

Just ignore that one may actually hurt the university and it's student athletes. That just isn't important.

• Upvote 1

Come on, now. Lying to the NCAA during am investigation of your program is far less of a lie than fudging your resume with a fake Masters degree.

Just ignore that one may actually hurt the university and it's student athletes. That just isn't important.

Both are wrong. And even though I was the biggest advocate for it, I was relieved we hadn't hired him for our HC job once that came out.

I'm glad to see people get a chance to redeem themselves with a second chance. I'm glad Forrest did and continues to do so, and I wish Monarch had, too.

At Chaflin. Not here.

And anyone who thinks a guy so crooked he got fired by Buzz Williams could turn out great for us... Way to stay optimistic. To me, it just looks like one more flashing warning sign that this era is going to end ugly. And with our "no NCAA violations" record a thing of the past.

And anyone who thinks a guy so crooked he got fired by Buzz Williams could turn out great for us... Way to stay optimistic. To me, it just looks like one more flashing warning sign that this era is going to end ugly. And with our "no NCAA violations" record a thing of the past.

This is a banner that UNT needs to waive proudly because we are in a HUGE minority, and anything related to Buzz is certainly cause for concern. Rick has done a fantastic job so far keeping us out of trouble in a time where it seems every month or so another school is getting NCAA sanctions handed down to them.

Benford has already 'buzz'd' 2 kids he didn't want, one for a guy who is no longer here (here's hoping Aniefiok hangs around longer than 1 yr).

• Upvote 2