So what is up with Basketball?

All I can do is laugh at you guys. For the last 3 years I have sat and read the STUPID comments and assumptions that have come from most of you (some of you this doesnt pertain to). This is a big problem with the support of North Texas Athletics. The fanbase shouldnt be on the messageboards BASHING the athletes and coaches theyre supposed to be supporting.

As for Tony Benford goes your all IDIOTS if you push to run him out of town. Ive never been around a more talented and knowledgable coach with such great insight or someone who put together such a talented staff. Coach Benford is such a great coach to his players that he has been a personal shield to the players that needed to be held accountable behind closed doors. There are players in that lockerroom that owe him countless thank yous for not throwing them out to the press to answer questions why they had to sit for games, suspensions or just overall stupidity on their part.

This season was dissapointing for the entire staff. The players chose to run with the kindness Coach Benford showed and didnt respect the opportunity he presented to them. From day one the groundwork was laid for them to be as successful as they wanted. When injuries plagued the team people were asked to step up and the leadership ball was dropped in the lockerroom. Roger Franklin couldnt carry the team himself and Tony Mitchell was playing through more than any of you can imagine. If it werent for EJ Tony wouldnt have been able to give what he did.

I didnt see many of you at a single OPEN PRACTICE which was held DAILY this past season. It just amazes me the amount of people here with ZERO knowledge of how collegiate basketball works yet you all are so quick to harp on the entire program and chalk it up to a monumental setback. I just hope that this season and when the success starts rolling in coach has written your names down and your turned away at the celebration door. I can promise I will remember you all....

GO MEAN GREEN

Yet another "we will remember who our enemies are" post. That's beginning to become status quo for this athletic department. I'll ask again, are we gonna start cancelling people's season tickets? We gonna refuse MGC donations if people don't fall into lock step? Are you going to suggest barring fans at the Super Pit door...so that we can allow the droves of Tony Benford supporters through the gates? I'm sure that they're simply waiting with baited breath to start our sellout streak.

I SINCERELY hope we never grow a fanbse larger than several thousand if message board criticism can cause such a petulent child response.

Only at North Texas.

• Upvote 4

I'm shaking violently in my North Texas boots that somebody on a message board is going to remember me. I'd better up my life insurance policy.

I learned the hard way during the tenure of Teflon Southlake Infallible Jesus never to express open disdain for the hometown idiot coach while at a game. So I just don't attend if I ever feel like that again.

As long as I'm not lambasting the chosen ones in physical presence of the choosers while the game clock is still ticking, there really is nothing to remember me for. Awfully cute widdle thweats, though.

All I can do is laugh at you guys. For the last 3 years I have sat and read the STUPID comments and assumptions that have come from most of you (some of you this doesnt pertain to). This is a big problem with the support of North Texas Athletics. The fanbase shouldnt be on the messageboards BASHING the athletes and coaches theyre supposed to be supporting.

As for Tony Benford goes your all IDIOTS if you push to run him out of town. Ive never been around a more talented and knowledgable coach with such great insight or someone who put together such a talented staff. Coach Benford is such a great coach to his players that he has been a personal shield to the players that needed to be held accountable behind closed doors. There are players in that lockerroom that owe him countless thank yous for not throwing them out to the press to answer questions why they had to sit for games, suspensions or just overall stupidity on their part.

This season was dissapointing for the entire staff. The players chose to run with the kindness Coach Benford showed and didnt respect the opportunity he presented to them. From day one the groundwork was laid for them to be as successful as they wanted. When injuries plagued the team people were asked to step up and the leadership ball was dropped in the lockerroom. Roger Franklin couldnt carry the team himself and Tony Mitchell was playing through more than any of you can imagine. If it werent for EJ Tony wouldnt have been able to give what he did.

I didnt see many of you at a single OPEN PRACTICE which was held DAILY this past season. It just amazes me the amount of people here with ZERO knowledge of how collegiate basketball works yet you all are so quick to harp on the entire program and chalk it up to a monumental setback. I just hope that this season and when the success starts rolling in coach has written your names down and your turned away at the celebration door. I can promise I will remember you all....

GO MEAN GREEN

Ever read a school messageboard? There were some Kentucky fans last season who were ready to FIRE CALIPARI ONE YEAR REMOVED FROM A TITLE. Other fans on there wanted him to not renew any of the scholarships of that team once they missed the NCAA tournament.

I think it's established that fans bitch, Get over yourself.

Edited by CMJ

GO MEAN GREEN

1. Welcome to the board!!!

2. lolz

• Upvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

Do you work for the NSA?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

First off welcome to the board. Second you can make your points better when you aren't lashing out at those who disagree (although I appreciated your disclaimer that it did not apply to everyone here). Not everyone on here hates Benford and blames him for everything. As Gibbsy pointed out the results versus expectations were just very very disappointing this season. Were talking top 5 in the history of UNT Athletics disappointments. You won't find more passionate UNT basketball fans than you will see here. This is not an unconditional support without criticism place. You will need to look elsewhere for that.

I do welcome your opinion however because I think it is a position has been drowned out somewhat on here and it needs to be heard. Keep in mind the enemy isn't the passionate fan on here it's the silent, ambivalent one that keeps sitting on the fence.

I've been encouraged with his recruiting and do believe the chemistry will improve as he gets more of his players here. I know there are others here who agree with me. GMG

GO MEAN GREEN

< 10 wins.

I'm also the same person that predicted a Max of 12 wins last November after seeing the "talented" Tony Benford completely lost on the bench.

Remind me again. How many ganes did we win?

Oh, and I agree with you. The leadership ball was dropped in the locker room, but not by a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds.

And this is the sane old tired line we heard from rumors out of the AD during the season. Blame 19-20 year olds, not the man who is responsible for getting them to play hard and disciplined.

Are you telated to Coach Benford? Do you work for the AD?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Serious face:

There's a forum devoted to what I do. 200 people browsing it right now. There's a subforum specifically dedicated to my specific output. People there don't know me by name, but they can gather and complain about how much my work sucks or how worthless and terrible the stuff my boss and I put out is.

I make it a point never to visit or read it.

GO MEAN GREEN

If you are going to call people idiots please learn the proper usage of 'you're' and 'your'.

Last season was a failure. An epic failure, after years of competitive teams. Mostly the same players, new coach and results go in the crapper. That gets fans bitching on message boards. I'm sorry you couldn't take it, but if you can't then maybe you and daddy Benford should get out of the kitchen. When teams win, coaches are usually lauded. When they lose, the coaches usually get the blame. Add in a coach that looks lost throughout most games and you get this level of criticism.

For your sake, I hope your special Benford buddy is never successful in conning an AD at a big time school into hiring him. You might stroke out reading those message boards. For the rest of us, I hope he is run out of town as soon as possible.

• Upvote 3

Serious face:

There's a forum devoted to what I do. 200 people browsing it right now. There's a subforum specifically dedicated to my specific output. People there don't know me by name, but they can gather and complain about how much my work sucks or how worthless and terrible the stuff my boss and I put out is.

Busted!

• Upvote 1

GO MEAN GREEN

For the most part I like your post and appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. Your attacks are a bit misguided though, as the fans on this board are some of the most passionate the Mean Green Nation has. Do you really expect fans to be singing zippity do dah out of their aholes after this season? You could drive a truck through the spread between expectations and results. Folks are going to be pissed and the coach is going to take some lumps.

The entire staff is dissapointed? Well good grief I hope so! It is their job to win games first and foremost. People can clamor on about graduation rates and creating good husbands and fathers but lets call it like it is. There is one metric a coach's job is evaluated on. Winning. The rest is sadly just optics.

While I wish most of the negativity around here would abate. Myself and everyone else on this board will be pulling for the Mean Green to turn it around next season. That much you can count on.

• Upvote 1

Serious face:

Apparently those folks just aren't fans of the great Tina Yathers.

I made my statement in jest, but if this new poster is a member of the AD, and came on here to annonimously bash student athletes, they should resingn their position immediately.

Just so freaking sorry.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"This is a big problem with the support of North Texas Athletics." -TheCaveCrew

Bigger than a promotions department that thinks games "sell themselves"?

Bigger than a MGC membership number that is apparently so small it's locked away at Gitmo?

Bigger than a football schedule that will, inevitably, include five home games soon and for several years to come?

Bigger than having a player who will potentially be drafted in the first 15 picks of this year's NBA draft...and a national media that will take each and every chance possible to chalk up last season to an overwhelmed coaching staff?

And these are only the problems that I can post on a public forum for fear of HIPA lawsuits or serious morale problems being created within one of our sports teams.

Yes, clearly, it's the people who put their money where their mouths are...and not the thousands upon thousands of alums who can't be cajoled, paid, enticed, or strong armed into setting foot in one of our athletic arenas because of the poor product we keep trotting out there. Yeah, you got a real point there.

• Upvote 3

To answer the original question, I think next season's team will be less talented but more balanced. If a couple of the new additions really develop quickly and play to their potential, then I could see the team finishing around .500. If player development stagnates, then we may be headed for half this season's win total.

I have nothing against Benford as a person, at this point, and I certainly would love to be wrong about my prognosis for next year. Right now I just don't see a lot of evidence of leadership, strategy, or player development from the coaching staff in order to evoke confidence in the upcoming season.

• Upvote 1

Serious face:

Just what is it that you do that makes you so popular?

• Upvote 1

Data analyst for Booz Allen.

Understand...everyone loves a "consultant" so very much. Especially when they are hired to help "re-engineer" a business that is in serious need of help. Often, the current folks working in certain levels look none too kindly on those who want to tell them how to better do their jobs. Sort of like...those who can do...those who can't consult, right? A parody on the line professors and teachers often get...ever heard that one? I got a real taste of that in my last gig...had to "re-engineer" the entire financial side of the place...was not looked upon any too kindly by several of the then current staff! ha!

Hang in their...pay them no mind...as you know...telling others how to better do their job always makes one a hero! ha!

• Upvote 1

Understand...everyone loves a "consultant" so very much. Especially when they are hired to help "re-engineer" a business that is in serious need of help. Often, the current folks working in certain levels look none too kindly on those who want to tell them how to better do their jobs. Sort of like...those who can do...those who can't consult, right? A parody on the line professors and teachers often get...ever heard that one? I got a real taste of that in my last gig...had to "re-engineer" the entire financial side of the place...was not looked upon any too kindly by several of the then current staff! ha!

Hang in their...pay them no mind...as you know...telling others how to better do their job always makes one a hero! ha!

Actually... I just say that's where I work because I'm really Paula Deen's agent.

It's been a rough week on those forums.

Actually... I just say that's where I work because I'm really Paula Deen's agent.

It's been a rough week on those forums.

No way...you only make remarks about Greeks!

• Upvote 1