Back On Board With Benford

Funny how those preaching this point, which I agree with, are many of the same that think this is the year that Mac has to win. It took JJ 6 years to fix the mess he inherited.

Shouldn't timetables for success be bumped up a bit by all of the spectacular facility improvements? Remember how much greater of a situation the AD keeps reminding us we find ourselves in? Is it not fair to hold those failing now to a higher standard than was present more than a decade ago?
  • Upvote 2

Shouldn't timetables for success be bumped up a bit by all of the spectacular facility improvements? Remember how much greater of a situation the AD keeps reminding us we find ourselves in? Is it not fair to hold those failing now to a higher standard than was present more than a decade ago?

This.

Plus, it's about time we started acting like an FBS program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Funny how those preaching this point, which I agree with, are many of the same that think this is the year that Mac has to win. It took JJ 6 years to fix the mess he inherited.

I tend to think Mac should get another year after this one if the coming season doesn't go great. He inherited a giant mess, bumford inherited a team that was picked to win our conference by every coach in the league.

• Upvote 3

McCarney will be back in 2014 unless we just have a disastrous year, like 2 wins or fewer. Even then, he might still be here just to avoid the buyout. If we did that with Todd Dodge after he won 2 games in his third year, then its very possible that we would keep Coach Mac in that scenario, too.

The expectations argument is an interesting one. UNT90 thinks we should raise expectations as a fanbase. I'd agree with him if I felt that the university's leadership wanted that expectations raised, too. But I don't and there is a mountain of evidence to show that they don't want those raised, either. I think they like the fact that a new stadium got built for football on their watch (on the students backs, but that's not a bad thing) and that we got into the conference that so many here wanted to join and that is plenty enough "progress" to our BOR and administration. I don't think winning--from a cost standpoint--even matters here to them.

The only expectation I have for Benford's teams is to build us back to .500 by the time his contract in his 4th year, just so we can be somewhat attractive to other coaches down the road. My lowered expectations from where they were at this time last year is directly correlated to the fact that the university hired an unproven career assistant who piloted the plane into a crash landing. I'm not even sure that the plane can even fly again. My expectation is that we hope that they can just repair the plane--not necessarily get it flying, just start fixing it so that someone can pilot it again, preferably someone who has experience in being a pilot, not a career assistant pilot. But it costs to buy a true pilot.

• Upvote 2

I believe that Benford did a terrible job of getting the most from his players last season. For me, it was the most disappointing FB or BB season since I started attending NT in '83.

It is possible that Benford is one of those inflexible coaches that is very set in his ways. The talent that he had last season may not have meshed with his system. IMHO, that is the coaches fault for not adapting. Great coaches adapt and make adjustments. However, this does not mean that Benford can not be a good coach for us, once he gets players to fit HIS system. So, I am holding out hope that once Benford gets HIS players, he can make them work in his system. I certainly don't have any expectations of success next season. But, I have some hope for improvement, which I believe is not entirely unjustified.

I am also crossing my fingers that our coach has a diamond in the rough recruit in his back pocket right now, to bring some physical presence under the rim.

• Upvote 1

I tend to think Mac should get another year after this one if the coming season doesn't go great. He inherited a giant mess, bumford inherited a team that was picked to win our conference by every coach in the league.

I agree with this. Regarding Benford, last year was a mess and he needs that to change in a hurry this coming season.

• Upvote 1

In Johnny's first year he went 1 game over .500. He didn't really sniff success until year 6.

P

Everybody wants Johnny back, as did I. Here was his record for the first 6 years. Now what?

200102 North Texas 1514 87 4th (West) 200203 North Texas 721 213 6th (West) 200304 North Texas 1315 88 3rd (West) 200405 North Texas 1414 69 4th (West) 200506 North Texas 1414 69 4th (West) 200607 North Texas 2311 108 3rd (West) NCAA First Round

Not this again... Just awful points.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think he gets his 5 full years unless he leaves on his own accord. No info, just my opinion.

(*Not talking to you AOD, but please spare the manifestos.)

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 2

akriesman, on 10 May 2013 - 10:34, said:

So, I am holding out hope that once Benford gets HIS players, he can make them work in his system.

Man, of all the arguments anyone could make for or against, I think I've done had enough of this particular argument at UNT. Next we'll be pinning our hopes on JUCOs and a hot assistant from South Florida.
  • Upvote 2

A St. Had already wrapped up the West crown and were simply going through the motions. What happened the next game? You know, the one that mattered against LaLa.

I got some snake oil. Are you interested?

UNT had wrapped up nothing to play for as well. The context around the discussion of this game at the Caravan was that UNT didn't mail it in, while people were speculating that the team wasn't buying into Benford's program and weren't trying to play for him.

We missed you at that stop in your neck of the woods.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I may be the only one, but I'm back on board with TB and MBB.

Last night I found out a bunch about injuries that I didn't know about. Also, I didn't know we beat stAte by 24 in the last game of the regular season.

in the words of Rick Perry, "it can't get no worse". I'm going to let last season be last season. I think it will get better, and I think Benford might just show us all that he can actually coach.

You weren't the only one. I talked to some other folks that felt the same way after the Caravans and hearing what RV and TB had to say about the season.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You weren't the only one. I talked to some other folks that felt the same way after the Caravans and hearing what RV and TB had to say about the season.

Yac, yac, yac. That's all that would have happened at that event.

I had other things going the night they were in Fort Worth, but I doubt I would have gone if I hadn't.

I don't need to here Mac talk about Florida and Iowa St. again. I don't need to hear false promises from someone who should no longer be our basketball coach and then have to be courteous.

What I need is for someone to win or to be held accountable. Not holding my breath.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

UNT had wrapped up nothing to play for as well. The context around the discussion of this game at the Caravan was that UNT didn't mail it in, while people were speculating that the team wasn't buying into Benford's program and weren't trying to play for him.

We missed you at that stop in your neck of the woods.

Actually, I believe our seeding could have still changed depending on other games being played that night. Meanwhile, ASU was locked into their seed regardless.

Actually, I believe our seeding could have still changed depending on other games being played that night. Meanwhile, ASU was locked into their seed regardless.

I can't believe they were trumpeting that game as a sign of progress. Truly amazing. I guess if you are looking for one bright spot for the season, that is where you have to go.

I would rather they just come out and tell the truth. Just say "this season was a complete failure. I know it. You know it. And it won't happen again."

Anything else is complete spin.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't believe they were trumpeting that game as a sign of progress. Truly amazing. I guess if you are looking for one bright spot for the season, that is where you have to go.

I would rather they just come out and tell the truth. Just say "this season was a complete failure. I know it. You know it. And it won't happen again."

Anything else is complete spin.

No, Ark State was clearly a sign of progress. So much so that a mediocre ULL team ran us off the court in Hot Springs.

• Upvote 2

I believe that Benford did a terrible job of getting the most from his players last season. For me, it was the most disappointing FB or BB season since I started attending NT in '83.

It is possible that Benford is one of those inflexible coaches that is very set in his ways. The talent that he had last season may not have meshed with his system. IMHO, that is the coaches fault for not adapting. Great coaches adapt and make adjustments. However, this does not mean that Benford can not be a good coach for us, once he gets players to fit HIS system. So, I am holding out hope that once Benford gets HIS players, he can make them work in his system. I certainly don't have any expectations of success next season. But, I have some hope for improvement, which I believe is not entirely unjustified.

I am also crossing my fingers that our coach has a diamond in the rough recruit in his back pocket right now, to bring some physical presence under the rim.

Like Coleman and Hardwick right?

• Upvote 2

I can't believe that Brady would ever let go by a chance to demolish Benford after that incident between them.

Seriously Harry?

Brady was coaching with an eye toward the SBC tournament. Ark. St. had already locked up their seed. Brady could care less about what happened 4 or 5 games previous involving a rookie coach of one of the worst and most disappointing teams in his division.

He had much bigger fish to fry.

I can't believe some of y'all buy this crap?

Just stop and think for a minute. What other win was anything close to a signature win last season? There wasn't one. In fact, I would point to the St. Louis game if I were trying to sell this thing. But Benford can't do that, because that happened before the conference flop and wouldn't go along with "the players were finally getting my system" B.S. that he apparently is throwing out there.

We lost by 3 to a ranked team on their home floor in a game that mattered. Much more impressive than any game we played in conference.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2