Why "Wish them luck" ?

El Paso Eagle

OK, so I’m not part of the “let’s all play friendly” crowd.
I keep seeing post where people are saying that they “wish them luck” to players
that choose not to come to OUR University. Do you really mean it? If yes, please
help me understand why? Look, I’m not saying I hope the kid is a bust wherever he
goes (might think it, won’t say it) but why wish him luck?

OK, so I’m not part of the “let’s all play friendly” crowd.

I keep seeing post where people are saying that they “wish them luck” to players

that choose not to come to OUR University. Do you really mean it? If yes, please

help me understand why? Look, I’m not saying I hope the kid is a bust wherever he

It's the GMG.com way.

• Upvote 1

Look, I’m not saying I hope the kid is a bust wherever he

did not say to wish them ill will, but just dont wish them luck

Ok, maybe I was just confused.

Saying good luck doesn't mean that you are actually rooting for them to be massively successful, mostly it is just a nice way of saying have a nice life.

I personally have no feeling what so ever to a recruit until he signs his name on the dotted line. Then and only then does it really matter. If he chooses to join my team i'm 100% in to supporting him.. if he doesn't then i'm not going to waste any energy wishing him good luck or wishing failure.. he doesn't matter any longer.

I will be there Wednesday night supporting the players that did choose to sign their name and commit to helping the team I cheer for.

Edited by smoothfresh
  • Upvote 2

I wish them luck. Yes I wish they came to UNT but if they don't then that's fine with me. It's their important life decision and something they'll have to deal with for the next 4+ years and sometimes it's not always the kid...I am sure their HS coaches and parents have major influence on what they ultimately decide.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We seem to want to pounce, criticize, etc on a recruit who ends up not coming here. BUT if the recruit signs and becomes a member of the team and ends up shoplifting (a.k.a. Stealing theft, etc) then that is just swell by most here, including the coach who through out some BS about community service.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Honestly, I hope all the kids who turn us down go on to have successful college careers, graduate, and live long and productive lives. I'd wish this for anyone, by the way.

That's the big picture, isn't it? Ya, I wish we could get every kid we recruit, but it ain't gonna happen. We sometimes have to put on our big boy pants and deal with rejection. Even so, everything will be all right.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

That's the big picture, isn't it? Ya, I wish we could get every kid we recruit, but it ain't gonna happen. We sometimes have to put on our big boy pants and deal with rejection. Even so, everything will be all right.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Well stated Hunter, and I would much rather fight with the big boys and sometimes come up short versus no battles at all. It still hurts when you lose though.

That's the big picture, isn't it? Ya, I wish we could get every kid we recruit, but it ain't gonna happen. We sometimes pretty much always have to put on our big boy pants and deal with rejection if the kid had other decent D1 offers. Even so, everything will be all right.

GO MEAN GREEN!

We are the absolute champs at being the "until a better option comes along" prom date.

I personally have no feeling what so ever to a recruit until he signs his name on the dotted line. Then and only then does it really matter. If he chooses to join my team i'm 100% in to supporting him.. if he doesn't then i'm not going to waste any energy wishing him good luck or wishing failure.. he doesn't matter any longer.

I will be there Wednesday night supporting the players that did choose to sign their name and commit to helping the team I cheer for.

Amen...well said! See you Wednesday!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A couple of different situations. Recruits that didn't commit and go elsewhere, fine. Players who commit and then renege, it is a different story. I don't wish them ill at all, but at the same time there will be no best wishes coming from here.

I just don't understand I will commit till I get an offer I like better, what in the hell is that good for. I think NT has lost the moral high ground with some of the actions of the MBB coach, but in general a commitment should mean something on both sides of the agreement.

• Upvote 3