TXA21 Carrying UNT UTA Matchup Wednesday

Harry

TXA21 Carrying Rival Hoops Matchup Wednesday

RDBZIQYKJAZHGIN.20121119171507.jpg Rick Yeatts

North Texas (3-3) vs. UT Arlington (2-1)

Nov. 28, 2012 • 7:30 p.m.

Denton, Texas • The Super Pit (10,500)

Radio: MGRN - 88.1 KNTU-FM, 95.3 KHYI-FM

TV: TXA21 (DFW area)

Webcast: MeanGreenSports.com

Series: NT leads 30-22

Last Meeting: UTA 97-64 at Texas Hall on Nov. 22, 2011

GAME NOTES

DENTON, Texas – After a split in the NIT Season Tip-Off, Tony Mitchell and the North Texas basketball team return home to the Super Pit to take on cross-town rival UT Arlington. Wednesday’s tip time was moved back to 7:30 p.m. to accommodate the television broadcast, which can be seen locally in the DFW Metroplex on TXA21 with George Dunham and Hank Dickenson on the call.

A win over UTA would tie NT for the second most November wins in school history at four. North Texas leads the all-time series with the Movin’ Mavs, 30-22, including wins in two of the last three meetings. Prior to this stretch, UT Arlington had taken the previous five matchups dating back to 1995. NT first met UTA back in 1925 in a 32-12 win for NT. The two shared a Southland Conference rivalry from 1983-96 where NT enjoyed a slim 15-14 edge in the series.

UTA used a 32-0 run and 19 first-half Mean Green turnovers to romp NT, 97-64, in last year’s meeting at Texas Hall - NT’s worst loss since 2004. UTA scored 23 points off NT turnovers in the first half alone and went into the break with a 55-18 lead. NT rebounded in the second half with 57.1 percent shooting, outscoring the Mavericks 46-42 in the frame. Chris Jones led NT with 20 points and Jordan Williams added 17.

The Southland Conference regular season champion in 2011-12, UT Arlington is playing in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) this year before making the move to the Sun Belt in 2013-14. North Texas is 131-121 (52.0 percent) all-time against current members of the WAC, which includes NT’s former Sun Belt-mate Denver and future CUSA foe UT-San Antonio.

Of the 11 NT head coaches since World War II, only three have begun their careers with a better start than Tony Benford, and none since the legendary Bill Blakeley in 1975-76.

At 5.7 assists per game, Jones is tied for 34th in the nation and is a full assist ahead of every other player in the Sun Belt Conference. At this pace, Jones could challenge for the school record of 208 (Walter Johnson, 1976-77). Thanks to Jones, you would have to go back to 1999-00 (14.6 APG) to find an NT team that averaged more than this year’s 14.0 assists per game.

the movin' mavs??? that's...uh...kinda...uh...happy...

i'll be there around 5 to start drinking in the parking lot!

Make sure your drinking is unorganized. You don't want to be perceived as organizing something in conflict wit the women's game that will be going on at that same time right inside.

:)

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ha...right...i'll be alone...drinking my crushers...on the bit of grass i was on last year...sometimes other people showed up...sometimes not...i'll have the radio on so i can listen to the girls play...i just have no interest in watching them right now...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry crowd for this game...not impessive at all...

There's no way I'd drive to Denton in the middle of the week to watch this garbage when I can be perfectly pissed off from home. It's not that they're losing, its the way they're losing. No effort, no organization, no energy. I wouldn't pay for a ticket to watch that crap, let alone the gas money to get there.

• Upvote 2