So what did C-USA really lose?

Harry

Tulane - a doormat football program that is in a great location. ECU - a strong football program not so much in other sports...bad location.

Wouldn't it have hurt more if we had lost Tulsa or one of the Texas schools? ECU certainly hurts attendance totals but UTSA seems to be poised to fill that gap. La. Tech keeps the door open in Louisiana no?

The reality is that all of the "Gang of 5" schools will have opportunities to get to the big dance.

I say what is the rush. Let this thing play out and then decide if you want to expand. It may be better just to hold at 12.

We wanted C-USA because it meant more regional rivals and that hasn't changed one bit today. The Big East will not have a huge recruiting advantage over us anymore because their BCS bowl auto bid was removed.

On the other hand, the Big East (especially with one or two more defections) is just turning into a geographically impossible version of the CUSA and MAC, in my opinion. Big East isn't going to have much appear for very long.

Definitely agree on that. I see Uconn, Cincy, and Louisville out the door asap. The difference though is if that does happen those schools will stick together and form up the best out of the group of 5.

Temple

Marshall

Memphis

ECU

UCF

SMU

Houston

Tulsa

USM

Rice

Tulane

UTEP

I see them tossing UAB out, but that would still be a way better league than what a combination of Sunbelt schools could get.

I'm most worried about losing Tulsa & UTEP to the MWC as a result.

I am weirdly calm on that front. The first 2 targets for MWC are Boise and San Diego... ...and let us face it the money they will make in this version of the Big east may be small enough to have them come back.... ...at that point there are other targets the MWC could have just as easily as Tulsa or UTEP, for example houston. I am much more afraid that the big east takes 2 more teams out of CUSA before the MWC does anything

also: it is important to reload now. ULL would be good but because of LAtech maybe impossible. WKU or MTSU would be ok too. I could even live with TxState, but I guess UTSA would hate that.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here is some wild speculation. The Big East new television contract does not provide the revenues that Houston and SMU areexpecting as a provision to move to the Big East. SMU and Houston choose to remain in the C-USA.

With the changes that have happened to C-USA? To be in a conference with Old Dominion, UNCC, UTSA, and UNT? Not a chance.

• Upvote 1

I really don't understand the BE taking Tulane at all. I don't see it.

New Orleans TV market. That's it. That's the only reason.

BE wants a TV deal with as many big cities as they can get.

They're not concerned about geographic layout, regional rivalries, travel costs, filling stadiums, or anything logistical. All they want to do is get schools in large media markets so they can pitch a pretty number and get a fat check for it. That's all.

• Upvote 1

I this Marshall fan summed it up pretty well:

College football is moving toward 4 super conferences. If you are not in one of those (and we never will be) then I say your goal should be to get in a league where you can have some rivals, compete for some championships, travel to some away games, and have some fun. I had the same reaction as most to the moves today. But think about it. What real difference is there between CUSA and the Big East?? College football is rapidly moving toward four super conferences and "everyone else." We are still in the everyone else category and so is ECU and Tulane and UCF. Truth be told, if the BE loses Cincy, UConn, and Louisville, the whole league will like dissolve entirely. The basketball schools will break away. Boise State and San Diego State are never playing a snap of football in the Big East. No way. Once the league breaks up, the remnants of the Big East will then be Tulane, ECU, UCF, SMU, USF, and Houston. That looks familiar. I then see them creating a new league and seeking 6-8 teams. We could certainly wind up there. Point is, there is too much shuffling to be done to get too worked up. Plus, we are talking about arranging the "everyone else" category. Yesterday ECU and Marshall both had to be the highest ranked non "super conference" team to get a BCS type bowl. That likely meant going undefeated. Now that ECU is in the Big East, both ECU and Marshall have to be the highest ranked non "super conference" team to get a BCS type bowl, and will likely have to go undefeated to get there. Nothing has changed.

Read more: http://marshall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2236&tid=181665454&mid=181665454&sid=1082&style=2

Was about to post essentially the same thing. We went through this whole chasing our tail trying to prove that we belonged somewhere where no one else wanted us in the late 70's. We hired a good coach that convinced us we could get to the SWC. We poured every ounce we had in it, we had a few good years. When we got passed over, our coach bolted at the first chance, our program went bankrupt, and we went to AA hell for 20 years and are still trying to recover. Even if we would have gotten in, do you think there is any chance we would have been allowed to stay once the powers that be tired of us? Ask UH/Rice/Etc... Let's build our own game, and be successful.

I don't want to be something we are not. I want to be the best that we are. I want to have a group of really tight knit geographically located teams that compete like hell against each other and survive through this apocalypse that is about the occur. If we build a tradition over the years of kicking ass, and our support continues to grow, we will get rewarded, but I don't give a crap about what a bunch of blow hard teams like those chasing the nBE say.

They will bankrupt themselves trying to be something they are not. The only way the teams in the upper conference will respect us is if we respect ourselves and prove that we are an equal. Teams like SMU and UH will never be allowed to join, or if they do they will be used and kicked to the curb like before because the power teams know they are so desparate to get 'in' they will do anything.

I wish we would not have lost Tulane, but purely because I was looking forward to a reason to go to NOLA, not because of the great football or basketball and I doubt more fans would show up for Tulane than they would for someone like TxSt or UTSA. Don't get me wrong, I want the league we are in to be as prestigious as possible, I just don't want to sell our soul to get there. Let's see where we are when our schedule comes out in Feb.

• Upvote 2

Was about to post essentially the same thing. We went through this whole chasing our tail trying to prove that we belonged somewhere where no one else wanted us in the late 70's. We hired a good coach that convinced us we could get to the SWC. We poured every ounce we had in it, we had a few good years. When we got passed over, our coach bolted at the first chance, our program went bankrupt, and we went to AA hell for 20 years and are still trying to recover. Even if we would have gotten in, do you think there is any chance we would have been allowed to stay once the powers that be tired of us? Ask UH/Rice/Etc... Let's build our own game, and be successful.

I don't want to be something we are not. I want to be the best that we are. I want to have a group of really tight knit geographically located teams that compete like hell against each other and survive through this apocalypse that is about the occur. If we build a tradition over the years of kicking ass, and our support continues to grow, we will get rewarded, but I don't give a crap about what a bunch of blow hard teams like those chasing the nBE say.

They will bankrupt themselves trying to be something they are not. The only way the teams in the upper conference will respect us is if we respect ourselves and prove that we are an equal. Teams like SMU and UH will never be allowed to join, or if they do they will be used and kicked to the curb like before because the power teams know they are so desparate to get 'in' they will do anything.

I wish we would not have lost Tulane, but purely because I was looking forward to a reason to go to NOLA, not because of the great football or basketball and I doubt more fans would show up for Tulane than they would for someone like TxSt or UTSA. Don't get me wrong, I want the league we are in to be as prestigious as possible, I just don't want to sell our soul to get there. Let's see where we are when our schedule comes out in Feb.

Right on, man. As one of my favorite author's once said,

"We were all searching outside ourselves for our missing pieces, and we were all looking in the wrong direction. Instead of finding ourselves, we'd lost our sense of self."

Build it and believe in it, and THEY will come.

Peace.

• Upvote 1

The reality is, we are probably going to be left behind in all this mess based on nothing more than lack of performance and lack of winning tradition associated with our brand. Yes, we have put everything in place to become a major player. But we probably needed it to be there in 2002, not 2012. College football took a wild turn this past decade... and it happened about 5 years before we were ready for it.

The scramble for TV $$ will ruin college football for half the country. Count on it.

College football is largely myth anyways. More than half the major conference teams are stocked with players who'd have had zero chance of getting into said school based solely on academics. In my opinion, that's a problem.

All we can do is root for UNT- which I can do quite well- and hope the higher-ups are able to pull off a game-winning hail mary.

• Upvote 3

This is more or less the camp I'm in. My other alma mater is a non-football school in the Big West, and has been for over 25 years. I sat there watching Fresno, UNLV, Boise, NMSU, most of the current Sunbelt, come, make dirty love to our whore of a conference, use us as a filthy transient matress, then move on to the WAC (yay! great move!), the Sunbelt (Wright that ship!) and all other points.

Meanwhile, the Big West has become one of the most stable, fun, albeit certainly not most talented, basketball leagues to watch. Until Hawaii joins next year, it's been an entirely California conference, and you could easily drive to several road games a year, the rivalries between UCI, UCSB, CSUF, CSULB are fierce and decades old.

So back to focus here in lil' ole Denton. Unless the hand of God himself comes down and directs the ESPN satellite dishes toward Denton, then I'd really like to enjoy some driveable road games, an occasional victory, and so help me, never a Tuesday night game again.

Boise didn't build a name for itself by chasing the NCAA dragon right off the bat. They started by kicking the crap out of Nevada, and San Jose State, and New Mexico State. They gradulally upped the ante year after year. One statue of liberty play later, they're dancing in OU's victory circle -- as members of a no-name WAC conference.

I'm going to get crushed in this post for mentioning my other alma mater, dare speaking the name of the Big West, and not "aspiring to be the best." Meh. I really enjoy getting up to Denton in the fall and seeing old classmates and acquaintances from my time spent on my knees in Lake Dallas (measuring floors! what the hell did you think I meant?!?). I just really don't care if it's Texas Southern, UTSA, Tulsa, Marshall, or the Toronto Argonauts. Underneath it all, for me, it's an excuse to go up to Denton, eat some ribs, drink some beers, hang out, and watch a little pigskin elipsoid fly through the air (preferably not landing at the back of Delgado's feet). I guess football is a means to me, not the end.

• Upvote 5

This is more or less the camp I'm in. My other alma mater is a non-football school in the Big West, and has been for over 25 years. I sat there watching Fresno, UNLV, Boise, NMSU, most of the current Sunbelt, come, make dirty love to our whore of a conference, use us as a filthy transient matress, then move on to the WAC (yay! great move!), the Sunbelt (Wright that ship!) and all other points.

Meanwhile, the Big West has become one of the most stable, fun, albeit certainly not most talented, basketball leagues to watch. Until Hawaii joins next year, it's been an entirely California conference, and you could easily drive to several road games a year, the rivalries between UCI, UCSB, CSUF, CSULB are fierce and decades old.

So back to focus here in lil' ole Denton. Unless the hand of God himself comes down and directs the ESPN satellite dishes toward Denton, then I'd really like to enjoy some driveable road games, an occasional victory, and so help me, never a Tuesday night game again.

Boise didn't build a name for itself by chasing the NCAA dragon right off the bat. They started by kicking the crap out of Nevada, and San Jose State, and New Mexico State. They gradulally upped the ante year after year. One statue of liberty play later, they're dancing in OU's victory circle -- as members of a no-name WAC conference.

I'm going to get crushed in this post for mentioning my other alma mater, dare speaking the name of the Big West, and not "aspiring to be the best." Meh. I really enjoy getting up to Denton in the fall and seeing old classmates and acquaintances from my time spent on my knees in Lake Dallas (measuring floors! what the hell did you think I meant?!?). I just really don't care if it's Texas Southern, UTSA, Tulsa, Marshall, or the Toronto Argonauts. Underneath it all, for me, it's an excuse to go up to Denton, eat some ribs, drink some beers, hang out, and watch a little pigskin elipsoid fly through the air (preferably not landing at the back of Delgado's feet). I guess football is a means to me, not the end.

Good perspective, great post.

• Upvote 1

Here is some wild speculation. The Big East new television contract does not provide the revenues that Houston and SMU areexpecting as a provision to move to the Big East. SMU and Houston choose to remain in the C-USA.

Lets put the microscope on SMU and UH:

In a nutshell, both schools are still very, very bitter that they both got jump-kicked out of the SWC, did not get invites to the Big 12 (while TCU did) and will do all they can to be with schools they perceive were just as jump-kicked out of prime time as they were and guess which school(s) do not fit their criteria? It's fugly' out there, folks, and it ain't going to get any prettier.

The shame in all this is our athletic record of the last 10 years and the fact that we really haven't grown with too many more significant new fans even in a new stadium; of course, non-stop losing has not helped but you have to look at that, too. I think we're fine with our head coaches in football and basketball for the time being, but not so sure about other areas of athletics. Many on this board I really feel know what the problems are in Denton, but North Texas and its BOR's sometimes reminds some of us the way the U.S. federal goverment does business with too many times too many non-business types in charge as in--------------they don't do new business at all but in Denton rely on "must have" facilities to persevere some retirement plans in Denton. Anyone knocking their doors down to hire them? That is usually a good barometer to go by for those who choose to look at barometers.

It will take North Texas leaders the next 5 years to figure out what has happened the last 10 years in athletics and then add another 5 years to that to (maybe) make changes. Just sayin' what I'm seein' from a distance.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1