This one is on you, Coach Mac

UNT90

There is the little detail no competent coach at any level would consider signing for less. Five years with a rolling renewal is standard.

Say's who? You can lick the excuse lollipop all you want. I'm not.

These jobs don't grow on trees as they are very limited. If someone wants one of them bad enough they'll take 4 years. Look at Mac. His ego is as high as the Hurley Administration building. He would have done anything to get back to being a head coach. He would have taken 4, but I doubt we have anyone with the nads up stairs to force such a negotiation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Half the people on here have no idea how to appreciate what he did at Iowa State nor what he has taken on here. Is be perfect? No, but he knows what he is doing.

I have to admit, I get tired of this argument. In 120 seasons of playing football, ISU has a 45.9% winning percentage, yet in 12 years his was 39.7%.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The announcers said the passing routes across the middle were open all day - and they seamed to work well in the first half. Then with a 14 point lead we got ultra conservative even before the pick 6. If I remember correctly, we were backed up on our own goal before the pick 6 and ran 3 straight plays. We were lucky and got a personal foul that extended the drive and then proceeded to run it again 2 more times leaving a long 3rd down which we didn't convert. The one pass we did try that resulted in the pick 6 was to the sideline which is really the most risky pass we could attempt.

If you are willing to pass it in the first half and are able to do it sucessfully, you should be willing to pass it with a 14 point lead with 10 minutes left in the game.

After reading this thread, all I can say is that maybe we shouldn't have dumped DD. He had a run of four very nice seasons before two down ones, and those two down seasons can probably be attributed to his retention of an insane OC, as well as his total neglect of his physical body. If someone like RV had made an effort to run an intervention on the guy, we might be sitting pretty right now. Things certainly aren't very pretty right now, but there's always next year. Right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The announcers said the passing routes across the middle were open all day - and they seamed to work well in the first half. Then with a 14 point lead we got ultra conservative even before the pick 6. If I remember correctly, we were backed up on our own goal before the pick 6 and ran 3 straight plays. We were lucky and got a personal foul that extended the drive and then proceeded to run it again 2 more times leaving a long 3rd down which we didn't convert. The one pass we did try that resulted in the pick 6 was to the sideline which is really the most risky pass we could attempt.

If you are willing to pass it in the first half and are able to do it sucessfully, you should be willing to pass it with a 14 point lead with 10 minutes left in the game.

All passes throne by dt are the most risky pass we could attempt. His low football iq coupled with his accuracy problems are HUGE problems for this offense. On his 3rd qtr interception powers was running free down the middle of the field, with no one behind him, but he throws it to a guy with two defenders around him and doesn't come close to the wr.

• Downvote 1

If that is the best he can do then you think it's really great? I want to back Coach Mac but you can't ignore his past history. At the end of the day he was still in the Big 12 and had a lot more resources and exposure than NT has.

I'd kill for 9-3 and 7-5 with a 2-2 bowl record. Look at his success at Iowa State (stop looking at overall, it's irrelevant) and it took him a while, but he did it. I don't think he deserves 4 years, but I think a lot of y'all are flat out football stupid (I'm sorry) to already be calling him a terrible coach. Turned Iowa State, a team with 1 bowl win and .400 all time, he turned them into a 7-5 team and doubled their bowl total. It's just stupid, petty, immature and short sighted to not see what Mac's building. ESPECIALLY in recruiting, minus the QB situation. People would rather go play for UTSA or TSSM than us. Chew on that. Check your ego at the door. Mac knows this. We might as well be FCS. So stop acting like we're UT. Want to point fingers? Point it at Dodge, RV and Dickey. Whomever dropped us to FCS. Whomever kept us at Fouts. RV finally got this hire right. Someone who if he turns us around, won't leave. Someone who loves NT. That's what we need. /rant

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'd kill for 9-3 and 7-5 with a 2-2 bowl record. Look at his success at Iowa State (stop looking at overall, it's irrelevant) and it took him a while, but he did it. I don't think he deserves 4 years, but I think a lot of y'all are flat out football stupid (I'm sorry) to already be calling him a terrible coach. Turned Iowa State, a team with 1 bowl win and .400 all time, he turned them into a 7-5 team and doubled their bowl total. It's just stupid, petty, immature and short sighted to not see what Mac's building. ESPECIALLY in recruiting, minus the QB situation. People would rather go play for UTSA or TSSM than us. Chew on that. Check your ego at the door. Mac knows this. We might as well be FCS. So stop acting like we're UT. Want to point fingers? Point it at Dodge, RV and Dickey. Whomever dropped us to FCS. Whomever kept us at Fouts. RV finally got this hire right. Someone who if he turns us around, won't leave. Someone who loves NT. That's what we need. /rant

This.

We're not good. We haven't been good for a long time. The Sun Belt was absolutely atrocious when we won four-straight titles. Don't believe me? Look at our OOC games. Look at the rest of the leagues OOC games during that time. Pathetic.

Anyone attend the UH game? Our guys are smaller and slower across the board. And that's a "peer" program. Or at least it should be.

Give him time to get guys in here that can do what he needs them to do. And that includes at the QB position.

Bad season. But still plenty of cause for optimism for NT fans. Literally everything is in place for this program to flourish. All we need are the wins.

• Upvote 1

Execellant post.

Say's who? You can lick the excuse lollipop all you want. I'm not.

These jobs don't grow on trees as they are very limited. If someone wants one of them bad enough they'll take 4 years. Look at Mac. His ego is as high as the Hurley Administration building. He would have done anything to get back to being a head coach. He would have taken 4, but I doubt we have anyone with the nads up stairs to force such a negotiation.

Ok, name one FBS coach taking over a losing program who accepts less than a five contact. Go ahead, there are 120+ coaches out there. Accepting reality isn't "licking the excuse lollipop."

I think people just need to chill. Anyone who thought that Mac or another coach could turn around this program in two years, given the shape it was in, is/was delusional. Maybe we could have had someone come in sign 20 JC'', have a quick turn around and then get out of Dodge (no pun intended) before it all fell apart again, but I do not think that most of us wanted that.

Do I like losing? No, I have suffered through more than my share. But, I believe that success is usually build one brick at a time.

If Mac can't get more than at least 6 wins next year, then he should go. Sure in CGP's first year we lost to FCS Northwestern State but at least he got us turned around in year 2. With Mac, I'm not seeing too much progress other than running off most of Dodge's players and playing the blame game. Year 3, no excuses, period.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 2

Our whole operation is better, in that we expect more wins, but it still REALLY sucks. We have sub-par players and coaches. What to do? Find out who is the puckered up, over conservative, play caller and get rid of his ass. As you will hear when any sub-par team plays a better team, you have to play aggressive and you have to execute every play. Easier said than done; however, playing over conservative is no way for a sub-par team to play. So what if we try and get a pick six. The other way isn't working either. Trick 'em and confuse 'em and you may win. The other good aspect is that a few good plays will work and recruits will want to be a part of it. We ARE the MEAN GREEN and WE WILL WIN. We just need to quit being pansies.

I'd kill for 9-3 and 7-5 with a 2-2 bowl record. Look at his success at Iowa State (stop looking at overall, it's irrelevant) and it took him a while, but he did it. I don't think he deserves 4 years, but I think a lot of y'all are flat out football stupid (I'm sorry) to already be calling him a terrible coach.

So you don't believe he deserves 4 years? I say we need to give him 5 years if you hold the notion that he needs time to win. At this point at UNT, he is already ahead of where he was at ISU after year two. He didn't get to a .500 season until year SIX. In fact, he didn't get to 4 wins until year 5.

• Upvote 1

I have to admit, I get tired of this argument. In 120 seasons of playing football, ISU has a 45.9% winning percentage, yet in 12 years his was 39.7%.

Thanks for making my point. I could care less what their overall winning percentage is/was. Look at the state of that program when he became head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All passes throne by dt are the most risky pass we could attempt. His low football iq coupled with his accuracy problems are HUGE problems for this offense. On his 3rd qtr interception powers was running free down the middle of the field, with no one behind him, but he throws it to a guy with two defenders around him and doesn't come close to the wr.

That's the way its been all season. Stare down one receiver while there are others wide open. Powers should have had two TDs yesterday, if he had been thrown the ball. Pitiful QB play. But If you don't work hard in practice and in the off season, you won't play well in games unless you are a super talent and that's not the case with our QB.

• Upvote 1