This one is on you, Coach Mac

UNT90

Do you honestly think that when Mac came here he would be able to land 4 and 5 star players??? No...no star player in their right mind would have come to North Texas after what Dodge left. I think he got what he could have from what he was able to get. Next year's class looks good and a lot of redshirt freshman will be able to play.

Who, as in recruits (not transfers or redshirts), from next year's class will be a building block for this program? Because nobody else is aware of any.

• Upvote 1

Do you honestly think that when Mac came here he would be able to land 4 and 5 star players??? No...no star player in their right mind would have come to North Texas after what Dodge left. I think he got what he could have from what he was able to get. Next year's class looks good and a lot of redshirt freshman will be able to play.

Ah, the classic NT next year arguement. When we suck next year then it will be oh we were a young team and the freshmen need more game time and the team needs more time to gel.

• Upvote 1

McCarney is an absolute joke of a coach. -1 me all you want, but he has proven himself incapable of being able to win close games. This game was on him. What else would we expect from a guy with a 30 under .500 record.

This is what I really didn't understand when we hired him. He was under .500, but somehow, even though no other school had hired him after Iowa State as their head coach, we did and gave him 5 years. I don't think we can afford to keep buying coaches out like the big schools do, so now we are stuck. Since we are under scholarships, you really have to give him 5 years to get it going. So, settle in, because this is going to take a while.

So they won't come here after what Dodge left, but they will for a coach who was 29 games under .500 and has had back to back losing seasons? Give him 5 years, but I doubt he makes it that long.

• Upvote 1

I am a fan of Mac and I think we are right on schedule but jeez louise this crap cannot happen. Just bush league. I predicted a 5 win season and we absolutely gave 2 games away. The Troy and WKU loses are all on Mac.

Mac said on the postgame show he specifically asked the offensive coaches at halftime to be careful about turning the ball over -- and DT promptly threw an interception which gave WKU renewed life. That comment was telling to me, because it says that Mac does not call the offense and also that he stated they did not do what he asked them to do in a public forum.. first time I've heard him do that.

The too conservative hand off to the right and hand off to the left with 9 or 10 “IN THE BOX”

– is not allowing your QB the opportunity to Read the Defense and React to it - Basic 101 stuff.

If you want to be conservative wit 9 in the box then put an Option Offense on the field so

you can go around the ends and move the chains and keep moving

– what we are doing has not worked all season – Look at the loss to Troy – same thing.

Mac lost this one and a few others – we could have been 6-6 this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Yea, all season he suited up a bunch of losers. Fact is we didn’t play ALABAMA, ND, TEXAS, USC and the like, in the season. Teams we played are in the Sunbelt, And I'm sorry to say, they recruit the same level players we do. Funny thing is that perennial bottom dwellers beat us. I think it is a hell of a reach to say we have a ton of redshirt studs waiting in the wings. Look if they were that good, they would not be redshirting. THEY WILL BE PLAYING AHEAD OF OUR SUPPOSEDLY SORRY 1 AND 2 STAR PLAYERS. Yes Mac is way better than Dodge, but after two years of this journey, there is no indication he is the ONE we are looking for.!!!!

Edited by slugg
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So the same thing applies for Taggert at WKU, right? 0-12 three or four years ago to bowl eligible last year. No kid in his right mind would go to a transitional FBS school that was winless a year or two earlier, right? Were we ever winless in the Dodge era? No.

So tired of lame excuses when other schools just get it done. No wonder we are consistently bad.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Mac said on the postgame show he specifically asked the offensive coaches at halftime to be careful about turning the ball over -- and DT promptly threw an interception which gave WKU renewed life. That comment was telling to me, because it says that Mac does not call the offense and also that he stated they did not do what he asked them to do in a public forum.. first time I've heard him do that.

Geez, I guess he should have told them to score some more tds.

Turnovers happen, NT would not have been in the game if WKU didn't turn it over. Unfortunately, WKU continued to run their offense.

This is just the precursor to Chico being shown the door, IMO. Gotta have a scapegoat for the regression.

Anyone who doesn't think that Mac gave the "no more passing" order after the pick 6 is living in a fanasy land. THat was not the way the offense had been run the entire second half.

Edited by UNT90

Tough loss....tough season. This waiting for "next season" is getting tougher and tougher. But, as a proud member of the great Mean Green Nation I will do just that. No way I am ever abandoning MY University or the Mean Green.

Tough season to take...it will take a bit of time to get past this one...maybe until spring ball and/or a basketball trip to the NCAA's.

Goodnight Mean Green football for 2012. The 2013 season starts tomorrow!

Edit: Seriously, really? What was said here that in any way deserves a negative point? Really? Someone is really having a bad day.....

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Yea, all season he suited up a bunch of losers. Fact is we don’t play ALABAMA, ND, TEXAS, USC and the like, all season. Teams we played are in the Sunbelt, and sorry to say, they recruit the same level players we do. Funny thing is that perennial bottom dwellers beat us. I think it is a hell of a reach to say we have all these redshirt studs waiting in the wing. Look if they were that good, they would not be redshirting. THEY WILL BE PLAYING AHEAD OF OUR SORRY 1 AND 2 STAR PLAYERS. Yes Mac is wey better than Dodge, but after two years there is no indication he is the ONE we are looking for.!!!!

These players go out and work hard...they are what they are...and we recruit what we can recruit...so, we can hope they get better at recruiting, esp with the conf change...perhaps we need a better qb coach..don't know, maybe its just DT's talent level....what I do believe is...play calling has been pretty bad all year...it just really stands out against Troy and WKU....we don't trhow the ball for the needed yardage on a 3rd and X...we throw it X-4 or X-6...then we punt...we have done this all year long...we are too predictable with plays...if we have a 3rd and 8 we either pass for for 3 or pass for 30....then we punt. We always play way to conservative with way too much time left against that usually kicks our ass....usually sunbelt team our "high powered" coach is coaching against. When we run a play that works...don't look for us to use it again in the same game...we much prefer to go back to what is not working..

So is Mac the guy ?....got to say, I'm not seeing it...comparing to Dodge is like comparing Ali to a 7th grade boxer...Dodge is nothing to be comparing coaches to....how about comparing to other coaches...maybe even Sunbelt. I think this is the worse play calling I have ever seen at UNT. He is in year two and it took a bad call for us to win against South Alabama...stat wise we got our asses kicked. This could be bad for RV as well....we don't have years to change thinks at UNT...like someone said...some of us will be DEAD before UNT wins...its just a disgrace and pathetic to keep a coach that is not winning...we, especially the students, are paying alot of money for football and expect results better than this...this is millions more $$$ and barely better than the high schoo coach RV hired and kept for near forever.

If Mac isn't well on track half way through next year I say PUNT and put Canales in charge again for the remained...he may end of being the guy for us before all is said and done (but maybe not)...but 6 games into next year, I believe you will know if MAC is IT...if he is not, don't wait...PUNT. We don't need another group of students graduating and believing UNT football totally sucks.

• Upvote 2

Jason Garrett has full autonomy as head coach of the Cowboys to!

Tough loss....tough season. This waiting for "next season" is getting tougher and tougher. But, as a proud member of the great Mean Green Nation I will do just that. No way I am ever abandoning MY University or the Mean Green.

Tough season to take...it will take a bit of time to get past this one...maybe until spring ball and/or a basketball trip to the NCAA's.

Goodnight Mean Green football for 2012. The 2013 season starts tomorrow!

Edit: Seriously, really? What was said here that in any way deserves a negative point? Really? Someone is really having a bad day.....

Kram, no one here is talking about abandoning the mean green, but what we have been seeing lately is absolutely unacceptable. I will never root for any other team, but if I'm am being honest, I'm not optimistic about who we have leading the program right now. I would love to be wrong, and hope I am.

• Upvote 2

In all fairness to Mac and Chico, who own the plays being called on the field, who in the hell are you going to throw to down field? Between a QB who can't hit open receivers on 10 yard routes and no receiver over 5'9 who can actually get down field fast enough to be in the vicinity of a long throw, how is throwing down field even an option?

Andrew Power is 6'5" and is wide open on most of his routes as he was today. Sorry QB=Missed Opportunities

I've been to every game this year, home and away and losses in this game and the Troy game are definitely on the coaches. Coach Mac took a time-out home with him today. He folded the tent. No Question.