Is frustration mounting for UNT?

Harry

I've made this point in defending Derek Thompson. Wide receiver is an area where walk-ons have suplanted scholarship players. What does that say?

Keep bagging on Thompson all you want, but a QB has to have guys who can run their route properly on a consistent basis so that the timing is right, and who will make plays after the catch. Thompson has only had that in one player - Chancellor.

We need WRs. We needs DTs.

We need everybody else to own up and show up.

If USA beats us next week....

While I do agree with what your saying, this is only a part of the issue. The other part is the poor accuracy of DT. His inaccuracy is a huge reason we don't have bigger plays. He under throws slants and long passes and usually throws high on the outside. This isn't constant, but I would say close to half the passes are passes that the receivers have to adjust to and make a play with, not all of those are the faults of the WRs. Plus, he holds on to the ball so long that when he does complete the pass the separation that was created by the WR is gone by the time the ball gets there (this could be because he doesnt trust them to be in the correct spot).

Also, he hangs people out to dry quite often. Yesterday he did it a lot, but I attribute some of those to them knowing what was coming and being in the right position to light us up.

As far as him complaining/bitching at his receivers, he's always done this. The difference is that now the WRs are doing it back.

• Upvote 1

Losing to a 1-AA program is essential in our fan base accepting a coach as worthy and capable of success.

Taggart, Stockstill, Barry... Losing to South Alabama would be the clearest sign that Dan Mac is destined for greatness.

You can throw in Gary Patterson as well

Also, for the historical record:

We're 1-0 at home when NT03 binge eats Girl Scout cookies during the game.

We're 0-1 at home when MeanMag spends the whole game with his dillywhacker dangling out of his tattered Incredible Hulk pants.

If NT03 shows up with an appetite, and MeanMag wears some trousers that fully contain his ballsac, historical trends indicate we might just notch a win this weekend.

first of all.. sure how you tell if the route the receiver is running is not correct...but in this game DT was throwing the ball at the receivers feet or over throwing the ball..many of the catches made w ere due to the acrobatic skills of the receivers. I saw many receivers wide open and thought DT whould throw to them, only to be surprised when he threw to someone else.

• Upvote 1

How does that sentence read?

Results. Produce them in three, or no job for thee.

It's frustrating to lose, but its miles ahead of Dodge. At a big time program, yes, if you don't win in 3 you are out, but not here. We need to give him 4-5 years and I think maybe more. That said, I doubt we see .500 even next year.

Also, for the historical record:

We're 1-0 at home when NT03 binge eats Girl Scout cookies during the game.

We're 0-1 at home when MeanMag spends the whole game with his dillywhacker dangling out of his tattered Incredible Hulk pants.

If NT03 shows up with an appetite, and MeanMag wears some trousers that fully contain his ballsac, historical trends indicate we might just notch a win this weekend.

Does it count if MeanMag? I can probably find some cookies for saturday.

I have met a few of Mac's former players from ISU. They love him, but state he expects effort, production and results. If these young men don't start developing then I expect to see Mac stay but some assistants packing their bags.

Regarding the game, I would like to see some variety on first down. The delayed hand off takes too much time to develop and everyone knows it is coming.

• Upvote 1

Listening to Coach Mac's post game comments, I detected some building frustration with his coaching staff that I don't recall hearing in prior post game shows. If I had to take a guess - methinks coach Chico may be in a very hot seat right about now. For two reasons:

1.) Not originally hired by Mac

2.) Offensive gameplan leaves me scratching my head at times.

But what do I know - I'm just a dude on the web tubes.

• Upvote 1

Listening to Coach Mac's post game comments, I detected some building frustration with his coaching staff that I don't recall hearing in prior post game shows. If I had to take a guess - methinks coach Chico may be in a very hot seat right about now. For two reasons:

BINGO

Yep. I forget his exact wording, but it also left me with the impression that he is still dealing with some players and staff that have not completely bought into his approach...and that he would make changes if neccessary. I heard them on the radio broadcast driving home. I have been meaning to try to listen to his comments again if I can find them.

No he gets his 5 year retirement tour, Rawlins and the Good Ole Boy BOR will make sure of it. Who cares that DMac has everything that previous coaches did not have included much higher pay.

What exactly do you mean by "has everything that previous coaches did not have"? You referring to Apogee? What else?

The offense gameplan is on DMac on not Chico, one can see when Chico starts calling the plays. Chico does need to go though since his offensive vision obviously does not mesh with DMacs conservative run down the clock offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Can someone give me a run-down of what all has been happening to your football program? It seemed early on in the year that you guys played hellishly amazing against both LSU and Kansas State. I was for sure that the fire I saw in those games would translate to a Sun Belt stomping. So what gives? Injuries? Coaching? Morale? Or were those two games against highly ranked teams more of an aberration than reality?

Edited by Comet7745
  • Upvote 1

What exactly do you mean by "has everything that previous coaches did not have"? You referring to Apogee? What else?

UNTBowler is referring to tons of things. Mac has Apogee, better facilities, and a much bigger budget for coaching salaries than any previous regime.

I don't know why he (Bowler) is so bitter towards Mac or our AD, but in that post he is correct.

Can someone give me a run-down of what all has been happening to your football program? It seemed early on in the year that you guys played hellishly amazing against both LSU and Kansas State. I was for sure that the fire I saw in those games would translate to a Sun Belt stomping. So what gives? Injuries? Coaching? Morale? Or were those two games against highly ranked teams more of an aberration than reality?

Yes. All of that.

Man, get in line... no one knows the answers.

It all started when we laid a turd against Troy at home. The game was dominated by the Mean Green, but due to an aberration of ineptitude in the kicking game, we left at least 15 points on the field.

Most agree that the defense is doing well except for our inexperienced CB's, but the offense has been figured out because we are trying to run the ball and control the clock, so opposing defenses stack the box and stop us even though our offensive line is playing great. It's hard to run when the line of scrimmage is 7 or 8 defenders against 5 or 6 blockers.

Now, why don't we throw more? Pick your theory: QB is not good enough, WR's are not good enough, HC McCarney is hamstringing OC Canales... who knows?

• Upvote 1

Well, for the most part we can't blame it on special teams, penalties, or turnovers, so I guess that leaves us with certain areas of our offense, defense, and coaching. Plenty of blame to go around within all three, and I will say that winning the time of possession battle every game is simply not winning us the battle on the scoreboard. Correlation?