Is frustration mounting for UNT?

Harry

Listening to Coach Mac's post game comments, I detected some building frustration with his coaching staff that I don't recall hearing in prior post game shows. If I had to take a guess - methinks coach Chico may be in a very hot seat right about now. For two reasons:

1.) Not originally hired by Mac

2.) Offensive gameplan leaves me scratching my head at times.

But what do I know - I'm just a dude on the web tubes.

It is painfully obvious Chico has nothing to do with the offense. Mac is a terrible offensive coach and needs to get out of the way and let someone with proven offensive results take over. Handing it off up the middle 3 out of 4 plays is not cutting it. On the defensive side, where are all the aggressive blitzes and defensive schemes skladany was supposed to implement? Yes, frustration is mounting on all sides.

It is painfully obvious Chico has nothing to do with the offense. Mac is a terrible offensive coach and needs to get out of the way and let someone with proven offensive results take over. Handing it off up the middle 3 out of 4 plays is not cutting it. On the defensive side, where are all the aggressive blitzes and defensive schemes skladany was supposed to implement? Yes, frustration is mounting on all sides.

We just seem basic and bland on both sides of the ball. Sure we have personnel limitations, but you would think that we would have made some significant adjustments by this point in the season.

• Upvote 1

What exactly do you mean by "has everything that previous coaches did not have"? You referring to Apogee? What else?

Apogee

Higher pay for assistants.

A new, much better conference affiliation to help recruiting.

Everything is in place but winning. DMac should be held accountable if he can't win in year three.

Chico was DMac's hire. If DMac starts firing assistants at the end of the year, I have little hope for him ever being successful at UNT.

Yes, it's apples and oranges, but look what Sumlin is doing at A&M in year 1.

• Upvote 2

Can someone give me a run-down of what all has been happening to your football program? It seemed early on in the year that you guys played hellishly amazing against both LSU and Kansas State. I was for sure that the fire I saw in those games would translate to a Sun Belt stomping. So what gives? Injuries? Coaching? Morale? Or were those two games against highly ranked teams more of an aberration than reality?

LSU and K State played a very basic defensive package against us because of the talent discrepancy. K State also was looking past us to their huge game the following weekend at OU.

Teams that actually gameplanned for us stacked the defensive box with 8 and sometimes 9 defensive players because 1) We run the ball on 1st down over 75% of the time, and 2) we can't throw the football because of a huge lack of talent in our passing game. Huge. Plus, we lost our only viable receiving threat on the 1st play of the MTSU game.

Defensively, we have regressed to last seadon's form in the last 2 games. Why, I have no idea.

So, predictable run-only offense coupled with back to back putrid defensive efforts equal back to back conference losses.

Apogee

Higher pay for assistants.

A new, much better conference affiliation to help recruiting.

Everything is in place but winning. DMac should be held accountable if he can't win in year three.

Chico was DMac's hire. If DMac starts firing assistants at the end of the year, I have little hope for him ever being successful at UNT.

Agree. As much as I like Mac, if there's no 6-6 or 7-5 next year, he needs to be gone.

• Downvote 3

I agree. If Chico had not been here before Mac we could possibly blame the offensive woes on him, but we all saw what his offense looked like when he was unleashed, and this is not it.

No he gets his 5 year retirement tour, Rawlins and the Good Ole Boy BOR will make sure of it. Who cares that DMac has everything that previous coaches did not have included much higher pay.

Been seeing any good tennis lately?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

WOW...some really amazing posts here.

Indeed...some folks are letting their frustration with the way this year has been going get the best of them.

But, it's good to have a message board where they can vent such frustration. Wouldn't want them to actually do something rash.

The funny part to me is that some who rag on Mac and Company on these boards then go "buddy up" to them in public...along with other members of the AD staff who they call on to be fired on a regular basis.

But, thanks to GMG.Com there is a place where we can all go to be experts. Got to love it! You pay your dues here on GMG.Com you get your say...fair enough! Just try to keep it civil...hint hint to some.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

WOW...some really amazing posts here.

Indeed...some folks are letting their frustration with the way this year has been going get the best of them.

But, it's good to have a message board where they can vent such frustration. Wouldn't want them to actually do something rash.

The funny part to me is that some who rag on Mac and Company on these boards then go "buddy up" to them in public...along with other members of the AD staff who they call on to be fired on a regular basis.

But, thanks to GMG.Com there is a place where we can all go to be experts. Got to love it! You pay your dues here on GMG.Com you get your say...fair enough! Just try to keep it civil...hint hint to some.

This attitude is something I disagree with strongly in principle. At the core of it, this is a message board for a collection of sports teams. Of course people are going to get frustrated (I am), overreact (guilty on occasion), and generally say a lot of things they wouldn't say normally (something I personally try to avoid). Regardless, almost everyone on here has some sort of investment in to this program whether it be emotional, financial, or time, which fuels the passion, and inherently (as is part of our existence as NT fans) frustration. I actually think this is a harmless place to vent frustration, because nobody important (other than our AD from time to time) reads this board or cares what any of us say.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Although this season has been a disappointment, it certainly is not a suprise. Too many weak area's, not enough depth. This football death sprial we've been in is going to be tough to get out of. I think McCarney will be given 4 full years as long as players stick around, we continue improving to the 85 scholly limit, receive no APR penalties, and he doesn't have a truly disasterous season.

I'm still in shock over our 5 wins last year.

After the program has been stabilized, then all bets are off. You have to win. If he can't win in year 4 then he needs to go. I have only seen McCarney's team lose one game the team had no business in losing and that was Troy. Coaches going forward will not have the luxury Mac will enjoy with as close to a 4 year guaranteed contract as any coach will ever get. Harry is right about the recruiting aspect. I have no doubt Mac will stabilize the program, I just have concerns over whether he can recruit the difference makers.

Yes, we were THAT bad off as a football program. If you think we have the Jimmy's and Joe's you are wrong. Forget the Tulsa's and La Tech's of the world - Sun Belt conference foe's have been walzing into our own backyard and winning recruiting battles for years. Even worse - Sun Belt foe's were waltzing into our own backyard recruiting guys we wouldn't even talk to.

Please don't read this to be some sort of excuse. It was a collective failure on many fronts for far too long. Even if Mac is not the answer I have absolutely no question in my mind that the next guy will have substantially more to work with. I couldn't say that with Simon, Dickey, or Dodge.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually think this is a harmless place to vent frustration, because nobody important (other than our AD from time to time) reads this board or cares what any of us say.

Exactly.

It's a fan board. I really wish the AD would only come on here to thank people or give info. We are fans. We over-react. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors (most of us, anyway), and above all else, we are sick and tired of losing (I'm sure not nearly as sick and tired as those who work at the AD).

Just stay above our mindless conversation.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sumlin though had already proved that he could win as head coach. Mac was 29 games under .500 as a head coach. I am not certain Mac is the guy to take our program where most want it, but I do think we need stability for a while and that means at the very least he is here for 4 years if not 5.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I actually think this is a harmless place to vent frustration, because nobody important (other than our AD from time to time) reads this board or cares what any of us say.

C'mon now. You have no way to know who reads this board. You don't have to be registered to read it. I suppose the odds around your statement kind of depend on who you consider important. I doubt any of the BOR look at it, but you never know. I think we are being naive if we think there are no players that have ever made a visit. We know player parents are on here. You mentioned Rick being on here from time to time. I know of other University staff that read the board. Who do you consider important that you know doesn't read this board?

I'm sure recruits hit the board too. They shouldn't let fan forums interfere with decision making, but these are kids we are talking about. You've gotta think these kids use search engines when researching schools making offers to them. How many search results are this board?

A lot of folks think that people like KRAM1 do nothing but blow air up the skirts if the university. I promise you that KRAM1 has his own complaints as well, but he chooses to voice those concerns directly to difference makers. He thinks through the potential of who reads this board. His choice.

Regarding not caring what we say, they may not take action on it, but people wouldn't read the board if they didn't care about what was said at some level.

Just sayin'.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3

" Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning " Bill Gates

Agree with that quote a great deal. It's not WHAT many of these folks say that is of a bother...it is HOW and to WHOM they say it! There is also an adage that says "You are yelling so loud that I can't hear what you are saying". That one has a lot of meaning as well.

If you have ever run a business, managed people, had to work with a large and "political" organization then you will know exactly what that quote means and how appropriate and significant it is...jsut like the one NT03 posted.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Quality DBs would help this team tremendously. Might be the only fix needed on the D. The O needs a QB that can adjust and think on his feet. I like DT from a talent standpoint, but he can't adjust to situations. I have never seen him look off a route. Vizza developed happy feet because his lines weren't very good, Dodge couldn't take the punishment and DT can't go through a progression, even to level two. So, two fixes...DBs that can cover and a QB that can adjust = a much better team. In the CUSA and we're gonna need it.

• Upvote 2

I think our DBs have plenty of talent and will be even better next year (esp. after Warner gets healthy). Going from high school to D1 is tough, which is why most don't do it immediately. We did so out of need. Our D line gets ZERO pressure. We could have 5 star starters all along the defensive backfield and we would still be giving up a TON of catches. The opposing Qbs have way too much time to throw.

I also think that we have good talent at DB. We do have an issue that I've noticed with safety reads. I like that Trice will get up to the line quickly to help with run support (good tackler and closer), but I would like to see our outside linebackers making more of the run support tackles that Trice is currently making. When our safeties cheat-up to the line, good QB's and WR's will make that read and find a spot behind the safeties for big plays.

Sumlin though had already proved that he could win as head coach. Mac was 29 games under .500 as a head coach. I am not certain Mac is the guy to take our program where most want it, but I do think we need stability for a while and that means at the very least he is here for 4 years if not 5.

Mac's record in the Big 12 is not comparable to the Sun Belt or CUSA. He inherited a winless team with little talent in arguably the toughest conference. The vast majority of his losses were conference losses. In fact, his out-of-conference record was a respectable 29-16. He won't be facing the Oklahomas, Nebraskas, Texas, and A&Ms on an annual basis.

My concern is not with the coaching but with the recruiting. So far, the recruiting is no better than that of Dickey or Dodge. Dickey was big on under the radar recruits; we just didn't know who they were until National Signing Day. Dodge actually had higher rated classes but only because he took a lot of JCs who were higher-rated due to more playing experience. Apogee and CUSA have had little influence as far as commitments from 3* players.

I'm not saying that these recruits lack talent; only that their talent is unknown by the recruiting gurus that rate the players. We have lost every battle for those who held numerous commitments.

What makes this more difficult to understand is that we have had more visits and more camp attendees than any previous time in our history. I can only assume that these are marginal players hoping for offers.

There are still a few 3* prospects that we might get but I don't look for much movement until after the season is over. There is still time to salvage valuable recruits this signing season but the staff must be in high gear as soon as the playoffs are over.

• Upvote 3

I think our DBs have plenty of talent and will be even better next year (esp. after Warner gets healthy).

I really hope Warner comes back and is the player he was at the end of last year, but 2 knee surgeries is tough to come back from and be the same player, especially for a speed reactive position like DB.

I agree about the pass rush. If we could get consistent pressure on the QB, that would solve a lot of coverage issues.

Also, for the historical record:

We're 1-0 at home when NT03 binge eats Girl Scout cookies during the game.

We're 0-1 at home when MeanMag spends the whole game with his dillywhacker dangling out of his tattered Incredible Hulk pants.

If NT03 shows up with an appetite, and MeanMag wears some trousers that fully contain his ballsac, historical trends indicate we might just notch a win this weekend.

I have a confession: We're actually 1-1 at home when I spend a game wearing shorts with better than average ventilation. I just wasn't as bashful about it last week because I actually was wearing clean undergarments.

The problem is finding quality material to fully distribute the loads that I involuntarily distribute to those areas of the pant. It's an unbearable force down there and if my inseams are screaming from the trauma, you can only imagine how the many women in my life feel about the situation.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I have a confession: We're actually 1-1 at home when I spend a game wearing shorts with better than average ventilation. I just wasn't as bashful about it last week because I actually was wearing clean undergarments.

The problem is finding quality material to fully distribute the loads that I involuntarily distribute to those areas of the pant. It's an unbearable force down there and if my inseams are screaming from the trauma, you can only imagine how the many women in my life feel about the situation.

Fear not, my friend! Your engorgement down there may be caused by a hernia. The good news is this is easy to remediate by visiting your family doctor.