Honesty check...

BadKarma

I did have a great time at the game and pre game...post game..not so much. The band was great..the food and beer...great...great UNT crowd...very disappointed in game...esp the play calling and coaching..their QB was so much better than DT (I do think DT is a very quality guy...so don't take that wrong) and they were much faster...and way better coached...thats right...better coached.

I was disappointed in the Friday night turnout at the hotel..should have been 3 x the turnout...it was good..had fun. UNT has lots of questions to ask themselves...we need to adjust at all levels to win and to increase support....but having been around for a long time..everything except winning has drastically changed for the best since the old days. GMG

Ask yourself this question. How many times does DT throw to someone and they don't have anyone within 5 yards of them and how many times did Piland? Our receivers are never as open as the UH guys were last night. Hell, I don't think Piland completed a pass that was more than 15 yards downfield. We couldn't tackle them or cover them. The could at least kind of cover our guys even though we had 500 yards of offense.

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 1

We have had our problems in recruiting. We currently have something like 12 seniors in this class, in case you didn't know, that's not a good thing. That goes back to Todge and his having to have to go after JUCO's to try and keep his job. I think that we are getting some athletes on the defensive side of the ball but have yet to see them come to the offense yet. Which if I had to choose I'd prefer D before O. I think that he have youngsters on the defensive side that can play, but they are young and inexperienced. Give them time in the weight room. What's killing us is the lack of playmakers on offense. We have 3 capable RB's, no studs yet, but I think Jimmerson has a bright future ahead of him. DT will not be starting next year. Period. Berglund will be under center for UNT as he gives us more options, something we desperately need. WR.....ugh.....we need help here bad. JUCO or High School, it doesn't matter, just get them here.

• Upvote 1

Mac has to have this thing trending upward by next season. if not then need to find somebody else in my opinion. The school has invested too much time and money in making upgrades to the athletics department in general the last decade or so and with Apogee being the crown jewel project it just can't be and afford to be pissed away. There is still momentum here but we know that can go away at any time.

• Downvote 1

Mac has to have this thing trending upward by next season. if not then need to find somebody else in my opinion. The school has invested too much time and money in making upgrades to the athletics department in general the last decade or so and with Apogee being the crown jewel project it just can't be and afford to be pissed away. There is still momentum here but we know that can go away at any time.

That would be a mistake IMO. The oline looks great and rbs are in good shape. On D there are a lot of young guys playing and up till yesterday had played well. There are 2-3 receivers redshirting and Mac has a good qb coming along with the qb transfer. There are 2 dends and a dtackle redshirting.

I personally believe Mac has this program going in the right direction. The cupboard was beyond bare when he got here.

I have always been under the impression that Mac will have his best year in year 3. Most if not all the TD kids will be gone and going into year #3 is plenty to put your style of coaching and

recruits into place.

This sounds about right. Give McCarney his due time!

GMG

The guy hasn't even been here a year and a half and you're already questioning whether or not he should be our coach? This is unreal.

I don't think most people on this board realize how bad our football program has been. We weren't great during the Dickey years, either. Don't believe me? Look at the non-conf record. Sure, we beat a bunch of bad Sunbelt programs and that was fun, but we did nothing with that momentum.

When was the last time we beat a ranked opponent? We haven't even beaten another Texas FBS team since 2006.

We are coming off the worst hire in school history in Todd Dodge. In spite of that, we managed to build a new stadium. A really nice one, at that.

Things are going in the right direction, but it's going to take more than a year and a half to get it done.

We lost. To a team that is a lot better than we are... right now. It sucks. We move on.

Get out and support this team against ULL at home!

• Upvote 1

Any coaching change when the coach in question is replacing a disaster takes time. I'll give Mac four years before I start to harden my opinions on him.

4 more years of losing may kill this program.

No coach gets 4 years in any FBS program anymore. Why should we be different?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

If you all don't see the improvements Mac has made, the improvement last year and the unrealistic expectations that has created this year, then you are blind. This program was a disaster when Dodge left. Poor recruiting, terrible records, terrible player retention, too many JUCOs, etc... Mac deserves to get his players in place and build. Be realistic and have some patience.

Great post Eagle1855.

• Upvote 2

I would love to see anyone name a coach that could do more for the program than what Mac has done already, given UNT's budget.

I'm not going to pretend that in this large world and the many football coaches of the past and future that there isn't someone better for the job than coach Mac, even with UNT's budget. The odds are simply against that statement.

But, aside from him angering the piss outta me going into halftime against Houston, I do like the man and we aren't a school in a position to go through coaches like underwear because of our budget.

I may not agree with every thing Ma does on the field, but I definitely believe in the way he has this program going, just look at the enthusiasm he has brought to the program and those surrounding it... Turnarounds take time and I am willing to be patient.

A lot of other programs may move quickly when changing their coaches but I am not a fan of that, I think it just shows how bad of a program you are if you can't stick with a coach... Just look at the top programs and tell me how often they change coaches...

Coach Mac is my leader

• Upvote 2

You guys don't give Dodge enough credit on how far he single handedly sunk this program. RV deserves some blame for that crap as well.

Mac came in saying how he was bigger than most of the kids here, so he understands the level of physical talent we lack. Dodge came in after DD posted consecutive losing seasons. How do you expect the recruiting classes to fare from nearly a decade of futility? Look at what we have playing at QB now and how hard it's been to recruit a decent player there? That alone tells you all you need to know. Mac will need time. This team is still a 5 win team, which is what 90% of this board predicted.

well that is the problem: most on this board did not predict a 5-7 season but at least a 6-6 or more often even a 7-5

Personally I think this team is on the right way. Mac and his staff seem to be really good at teaching the basics of the game to the players. Game call wise I am not so sure, but keep getting better at the basics and conservative game calling will be less meaningfull at some point.

Right now we are really inconsistent: it just has not happened that both sides of the ball had a good game at the same time. It is bound to happen sometime.

Also I feel a lot better about that ULL game than some here, certainly better than I would have 2 years ago. I do believe we have a realistic shot at keeping that win here.

Edited by outoftown