Houston Roll Call

kj86

Uhm, no.

St. Arnolds Octoberfest tastes like crap, but try the Endeavour or Home Front IPAs. Devine Reserves are usually good, but this year's was overrated.

On the whole, there is no brewery in DFW that comes close to touching St. Arnolds's. And one of the Head Brewers is a UNT alum if I remember correct. Rahr's Bourbon Barrell Aged Cask Winter Warmer is on par or better than anything St. A's, but the overall lineup is not. Shiner hasn't made anything as good as Shiner Black since Shiner Black.

I'm not a huge fan of Rahr. The Ugly Pug is solid, but the rest of their beers are forgettable. Deep Ellum and Franconia are my favorites. DE's IPA and Dallas Blonde are great and no one can touch Franconia's wheat beers

I'm not a huge fan of Rahr. The Ugly Pug is solid, but the rest of their beers are forgettable. Deep Ellum and Franconia are my favorites. DE's IPA and Dallas Blonde are great and no one can touch Franconia's wheat beers

The good stuff is Rahrs seasonals, like that winter warmer. Deep Ellum was far underwhelming. I feel friends have made better tasting home brew.

Dont drink much wheat, so I'm not an expert on Franconia.

Really Old Guy....where? Say the Club Level and watch what happens

I'm sorry, what? I couldn't hear you over the sounds of my sucking off the boosters. (Or so I've been accused)

Seriously though, if they start selling beer in the regular seats, it almost deincentivizes me to spend more. I could get really good chair back seats downstairs for a LOT less money.

Any problem with bringing in a chairback? (I'm old!) also, is there parking around the tailgate location they gave? Thanks.

I'm planning to bring my chairbacks, so I hope there's no issue with bringing them.

I live in Sugar Land, so I went on a "reconnaisance mission" to UH last Sunday to check out the area. I stopped by the UH police station and picked up a map, and was told that visitors can park in the parking garage on Holman St. on the north side of the stadium. *** Edit - The garage is new, it isn't on Google maps satellite view. I think it will cost $20.00

BTW, it appears the best approach to the stadium for most will be from I-45, to take the Cullen Blvd exit. There is construction on Scott St. just north of Holman. If you're coming from the South or SW, then you could take S. Main to Old Spanish Trail (90A), and then turn north on Scott - that's probably what I'm goint to do. I've been told by someone who went to UH that MacGregor to Scott is also OK. But I don't suggest Alabama or Elgin - not major enough.

Anyone in Houston more familiar with UH can correct me...

Edited by Stix

I'm planning to bring my chairbacks, so I hope there's no issue with bringing them.

I live in Sugar Land, so I went on a "reconnaisance mission" to UH last Sunday to check out the area. I stopped by the UH police station and picked up a map, and was told that visitors can park in the parking garage on Holman St. on the north side of the stadium. *** Edit - The garage is new, it isn't on Google maps satellite view. I think it will cost $20.00

BTW, it appears the best approach to the stadium for most will be from I-45, to take the Cullen Blvd exit. There is construction on Scott St. just north of Holman. If you're coming from the South or SW, then you could take S. Main to Old Spanish Trail (90A), and then turn north on Scott - that's probably what I'm goint to do. I've been told by someone who went to UH that MacGregor to Scott is also OK. But I don't suggest Alabama or Elgin - not major enough.

Nope, your driving suggestions are good. Stay away from Scott St. near the stadium because it backs up really badly due to the construction. The garage was $20 last month and it's nice to park right there next to the game. As far as I know, you can bring a chairback, and I believe one of the kiosks even sells Cougar ones at the game anyway, so it'd be silly to disallow others. But you cannot bring outside food or drinks into the Rob, including beer. Chug up before you go in. And I haven't checked the weather, but no umbrellas either, only ponchos. And if you're bringing in a backpack or diaper bag, be ready for it to be searched.

We'll be heading down in a few hours after my kiddos get out of school. Everybody have a safe trip down... and the jerky and fudge is better at Woody's than at Buc-ee's, in my opinion. :)

• Upvote 1

Very helpful Stix! And RushNstudies too!

A traffic warning for tomorrow - I heard on the news heading to the pep rally that the Houston Dynamo have a home game tomorrow at 7: 30pm. The soccer stadium is just off of US 59 downtown, more or less across from Minute Maid Park, and not far from where 59 crosses I-45. It shouldn't be a problem before the game, especially if you come early to tailgate, but depending on how long soccer games last, both games could end around the same time.