Future Schedule Possibilities

CurveItAround

Future looks bright. Conference games represents potential schedule, nothing set yet. Assuming we keep 1 money game on our schedule, we will need to keep 3 active home/home OOC series each year. Some years result in 5 home games and then next year has 6. Regardless of what people argue about quality of play, the perception of the schedule is certainly a step up.

UNT - (OOC) Ohio

UNT - (OOC) Georgia (away pay for play)

UNT - (OOC) Ball State

UNT - (OOC) Home/Home or buy home game - Texas State/Stephen F Austin/Sam Houston/Other FBS or FCS

UNT - (Cross Division) UAB

UNT - (Cross Division) Southern Miss

UNT - (Division) Tulsa

UNT - (Division) La Tech

UNT - (Division) UTEP

UNT - (Division) UTSA

UNT - (Division) Tulane

UNT - (Division) Rice

UNT - (OOC) Texas (away pay for play)

UNT - (OOC) SMU

UNT - (OOC) Home/Home or buy home game - Texas State/Stephen F Austin/Sam Houston/Other FBS or FCS

UNT - (OOC) Indiana

UNT - (Cross Division) Marshall

UNT - (Cross Division) ECU

UNT - (Division) Tulsa

UNT - (Division) La Tech

UNT - (Division) UTEP

UNT - (Division) UTSA

UNT - (Division) Tulane

UNT - (Division) Rice

Edited by CurveItAround

While I could see us hosting SFA or Sam Houston, would we ever really play them on the road? I wouldn't think so. Do FBS teams play at FCS stadiums very often?

Feel free to replace that slot with anyone. Would like to see suggestions. Keep in mind that if we are only willing to play someone at our place, then we have to be willing to pay them. I would be all for paying an FCS team each year to come to our place if we can afford it.

I was just showing what a regional opponent might look like. I would really like to see someone like Houston, New Mexico, maybe even an Idaho/New Mexico St, maybe a MWC team over the next few years, but I would not like to see another upper tier AQ team. Basically looking for games against teams our fans can recognize that we will be favored or at least pick'em in. As the team improves, the list of potential teams becomes larger.

Our CUSA schedule will be pretty tough, not looking to have a completely brutal OOC schedule. We already know we will be playing a money game. Once we prove we can win, we can always increase the level of competition in OOC.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

Wouldn't want to be Banowsky setting those CUSA schedules next year! Everyone wants Tulane (New Orleans) nobody east wants to visit UTEP (too far West) and the whole east west crossover thing makes it tough. Senior members will get preferential choice I'd imagine.

Wouldn't want to be Banowsky setting those CUSA schedules next year! Everyone wants Tulane (New Orleans) nobody east wants to visit UTEP (too far West) and the whole east west crossover thing makes it tough. Senior members will get preferential choice I'd imagine.

At the same time, those same senior members will want to come to Denton (re: DFW) for sure! We may have So. Miss / ECU / Marshall at home if what you say is true.

At the same time, those same senior members will want to come to Denton (re: DFW) for sure! We may have So. Miss / ECU / Marshall at home if what you say is true.

The good/bad thing (depending on your opinion) about it is if they are in our division we will alternate home/away and then get a couple of crossover games, and those crossover games will alternate as well. Regardless of how they set up the schedule, our current OOC schedule, plus CUSA divisional games, plus CUSA crossover games looks great to me and offers lots of interesting possibilities.

No way we play at a FCS school. However, I am open to the idea of opening up w/ them every year to get a win under our belt first home game. Also, I'm not positive, but I swore Mac said we will have a home opener next year.

Maybe that indicates we are going to pay someone to come in (or open with a home conference game) because the Georgia game is currently scheduled for 9/21, Ball State show the game as 9/14 on their schedule, and the Ohio game is away.

No way we play at a FCS school. However, I am open to the idea of opening up w/ them every year to get a win under our belt first home game. Also, I'm not positive, but I swore Mac said we will have a home opener next year.

I remember him saying we would open home next year too.....But I am not so sure this is in his hands, and I just cant immagine why the athletic department would not tell us if they had actually already secured a home opponent. Now as foorball schedules are usually made long before the games happen, this makes me somewhat unsure as to whether this will actually happen.

I'm on the record advocating a home & home series with Texas State. Schedule it opposite the UTSA game so we play one at home, the other on the road each year. Would give us an annual recruiting and media presence in central Texas of which we currently have none. It's a great roadtrip for fans. The Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels/San Antonio corridor offers LOTS to do for fans. From a personal standpoint, Being in NB it would give me at least one easy road game to attend.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the record advocating a home & home series with Texas State. Schedule it opposite the UTSA game so we play one at home, the other on the road each year. Would give us an annual recruiting and media presence in central Texas of which we currently have none. It's a great roadtrip for fans. The Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels/San Antonio corridor offers LOTS to do for fans. From a personal standpoint, Being in NB it would give me at least one easy road game to attend.

I am not against scheduling Belt teams but I believe separation would probably serve NT better at least for a few years.

Frankly, there is no reason for NT to give TSSM a leg up in Texas. They are already a recruiting rival, why help them? Let them get that isolated in the Belt feel that NT has lived through for a decade. It's not like in the past, NT is not desperate for area games. NT now as a conference advantage over exactly one Texas team and you are advocating giving part of that away.

Why do you think it would be a recruiting advantage playing TSSM. First, if you considered the number of football players in Central Texas; NT already does well there; probably better than in DFW. Unless NT destroys TSSM every time they play, NT is not going to gain any advantage. NT is going to get a lot more coverage in the state in CUSA, they should have the recruiting edge over a Belt team. We have all seen that first hand.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was assuming the non-divisional games would be done on a "round robin" basis. That is, if we play ECU and UAB one year, we won't play them again until we've played all the other C-USA East teams.

They may assign every team a "rivalry opponent" from the other division, but I'm sure the other non-divisional game(s) would still be round robin.

The number one reason we MUST bring inan FCS, with no return trip, in your model is that doing it the way you have it written up leaves us with 5 home games. Even replacing the FCS team with a home/home with another FBS would give us the same 5 game home slate in 2014. I personally favor a body bag game ...that we host for a change...because our conference slate is now attractive enough to be the selling point.

The number one reason we MUST bring inan FCS, with no return trip, in your model is that doing it the way you have it written up leaves us with 5 home games. Even replacing the FCS team with a home/home with another FBS would give us the same 5 game home slate in 2014. I personally favor a body bag game ...that we host for a change...because our conference slate is now attractive enough to be the selling point.

I wouldn't call it my model. It just is what it is, but you have hit the nail on the head. We either have to pay for a home game to offset our own pay for play away game (if we are intent on continuing to play for pay), or we have to be satisfied that at least every other year we will only have 5 home games.

Edited by CurveItAround

I am not against scheduling Belt teams but I believe separation would probably serve NT better at least for a few years.

Frankly, there is no reason for NT to give TSSM a leg up in Texas. They are already a recruiting rival, why help them? Let them get that isolated in the Belt feel that NT has lived through for a decade. It's not like in the past, NT is not desperate for area games. NT now as a conference advantage over exactly one Texas team and you are advocating giving part of that away.

Why do you think it would be a recruiting advantage playing TSSM. First, if you considered the number of football players in Central Texas; NT already does well there; probably better than in DFW. Unless NT destroys TSSM every time they play, NT is not going to gain any advantage. NT is going to get a lot more coverage in the state in CUSA, they should have the recruiting edge over a Belt team. We have all seem that first hand.

Fair enough, but when the shoe was on the other foot and we were asking for series against teams like SMU, Houston, Texas Tech, etc... (and participated in, just maybe not as often as we wanted) why do we see that differently than putting TXST on the calendar. Isn't it the same basic proposition, just in reverse?

Personally, my preference, like others have already mentioned, would be to pay for a regional FCS team to come to Apogee early in the season, but don't have the visibility to know if the program is in the financial position to do it.

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 1

Fair enough, but when the shoe was on the other foot and we were asking for series against teams like SMU, Houston, Texas Tech, etc... (and participated in, just maybe not as often as we wanted) why do we see that differently than putting TXST on the calendar. Isn't it the same basic proposition, just in reverse?

Personally, my preference, like others have already mentioned, would be to pay for a regional FCS team to come to Apogee early in the season, but don't have the visibility to know if the program is in the financial position to do it.

no no see your don't understand.....north Texas was "paying their dues" all those years by spending the huge sum of 2 million dollars to add crappy metal bleachers to an already worn and dated stadium and hiring high school coaches on the cheap and deserved a leg up from all the other Texas D1-A teams

TxState is taking the easy way out by investing in two very nice renovations of their stadium that will last for the long term, selling it out for their first game at home in D1-A, beating UH on the road for their first ever D1-A game, and hiring an experienced D1-A head coach and other short cuts like that

UTSA is worse drawing 60K fans to their first game ever as a program....winning it, playing in a domed stadium THEY DON'T own (as if anyone gives a damn about that), going 6-6 their first year ever to play the game, averaging well over 30K fans for the season, going 3-0 so far this season, and hiring a coach with a MNC ring

see those teams have not "paid their dues" like north Texas did so they are not worthy

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I 100% agree. I love the idea of another Texas game and being able to play a school my friends and family have gone to.

I think it is dumb not to schedule an opponent like this only for the fact that the school may or may not steal recruits from us. Regardless, we could potentially steal recruits from them that we may have not of otherwise had a shot to get. The value of building Texas rivalries and getting people in Texas excited about playing each other schools is a greater advantage in my opinion than a potential recruit we might lose to State playing in Denton.

Lastly, beat them. Beat them and we should not have a trouble recruiting against them.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

no no see your don't understand.....north Texas was "paying their dues" all those years by spending the huge sum of 2 million dollars to add crappy metal bleachers to an already worn and dated stadium and hiring high school coaches on the cheap and deserved a leg up from all the other Texas D1-A teams

TxState is taking the easy way out by investing in two very nice renovations of their stadium that will last for the long term, selling it out for their first game at home in D1-A, beating UH on the road for their first ever D1-A game, and hiring an experienced D1-A head coach and other short cuts like that

UTSA is worse drawing 60K fans to their first game ever as a program....winning it, playing in a domed stadium THEY DON'T own (as if anyone gives a damn about that), going 6-6 their first year ever to play the game, averaging well over 30K fans for the season, going 3-0 so far this season, and hiring a coach with a MNC ring

see those teams have not "paid their dues" like north Texas did so they are not worthy

TodgeRodge?

It's been empirically proven that our largest crowds come agaist other Texas teams. Our attendance isn't at a point when we can discard a game that would be a good draw because we don't want them to get a leg up. Add one more Texas team to our schedule can only help our attendance. Students and alumni like games against schools their friends went to.

Why do you think it would be a recruiting advantage playing TSSM.

Because I live here and we get absolutely ZERO attention in this part of the state. No print media, No TV, No radio, Nada. We don't exist in Central Texas. I hear more about whomever is playing Texas State and UTSA every week then I ever hear of North Texas. Your CUSA = more coverage argument is fautly. I never see coverage of SMU or Houston either. They are currently in CUSA and they are out of sight, out of mind.

OH MY GOD YOU'RE A TROLL!!!

Texas State lucked into playing a terrible Houston team. They lose that game if they become D1-A one year earlier. It's not like they had the foresight to plan Houston on their down year.

UTSA is the only major college event within an hour's drive. It only has to compete against the NBA (hardly any substantial season overlap). And it's in a city that has NEVER had college football. They barely beat South Alabama (first year D1-A) in San Antonio, Texas A & M Commerce (terrible) in San Antonio, and soon to be Sun Belt member GaSt. I only think last of the three wins shows anything.

UTSA and TxSt are not even close to our situation. We have two other D1 Schools within a 45 minute drive. We have four major sports teams to compete against (Rangers and Cowboys in full swing during our season). We have some of the nations most intense HS football (see the Allen stadium) in the nation. We have half a dozen of any number of minor league sports teams. So if we don't win, there's no reason to show up.

These comparisons are not fair at all.