North Texas Chant

Rudy

I've prefered the idea for doing the chant after scores, similar to how the Razorbacks do it. I like the idea of doing the chant 5 or 6 times, no matter how the point is scored. Wait until the band finishes the fight song, then in unison yell GOOOOO, then North and Texas (how many ever times) then FIGHT 3X

I'd like to put this motion to a vote....

what if it the whole sequence was done twice...but only do 3 North/Texas chants

after the first round, repeat it. that way, it's easier to learn with more repetition and it's easy to count and not lose track on which number of chant you are on...

North

Texas

North

Texas

North

Texas

Fight, Fight, Fight

Edited by Travis Scott
  • Upvote 2

It usually just takes one guy to unify 70,000 in The Meadowlands.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Rick

Rick, Get the AD to put a camera on you and lead a chant that EVERYONE KNOWS, and I'll follow you!

Heck, KalebSchumann, do the same thing, and I'll follow you!

The problem is... EVERY Jets fan knows J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. UNT does not have a cheer like that... or do we?

Rick, Get the AD to put a camera on you and lead a chant that EVERYONE KNOWS, and I'll follow you!

The problem is... EVERY Jets fan knows J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. UNT does not have a cheer like that... or do we?

We did, and it was presented to the the Spirit Committee, the cheerleaders and the AD Dept just prior to Dodge's first season, with a suggestion to have the camera on Scrappy to get it started like Kansas State uses their mascot to prompt it. The chant was very simple with a 7 beat rythm like the JETS chant. In fact two different options were presented.

Go!-Mean!-Green!-Eagles!-Fight!-Fight!-Fight!

(say eagles fast enough that it counts as one beat)

Or,

Let's!-Go!-Mean!-Green!-Fight!-Fight!-Fight!

Both use our long standing traditional yell of "Go Mean Green".

Both are short, quick and easy to learn and easy to get started.

And most importantly,.......both have an ENDING!

Everyone in the room seemed opened to the idea until the AD Dept rep shot it down stating "We already have several prompted chants in place with the band", despite being unable to repeat a single one of them.

Then it was like, "Well, anybody else got any other ideas?, ok well thanks for coming",..... and out the door I walked.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

We did, and it was presented to the the Spirit Committee, the cheerleaders and the AD Dept just prior to Dodge's first season, with a suggestion to have the camera on Scrappy to get it started like Kansas State uses their mascot to prompt it. The chant was very simple with a 7 beat rythm like the JETS chant. In fact two different options were presented.

Or,

Everyone in the room seemed opened to the idea until the AD Dept rep shot it down stating "We already have several prompted chants in place with the band", despite being unable to repeat a single one of them.

Then it was like, "Well, anybody else got any other ideas?, ok well thanks for coming",..... and out the door I walked.

Rick

I love that idea and the go mean green eagles fight , fight , fight cheer

Is that rep still here?

• Upvote 4

I love that idea and the go mean green eagles fight , fight , fight cheer

Is that rep still here?

Or, replace "Go, Mean, Green", with "U, N, T" a-la the fight song. Doesn't matter. All are good ideas.

Great question NT03. Rick, not asking you to name names or anything, but if that person is still here, is there someone else that may listen? When presented to the Spirit Committee & Cheerleaders, did they give you their backing? I would think there would be strength in numbers.

• Upvote 1

Or, replace "Go, Mean, Green", with "U, N, T" a-la the fight song. Doesn't matter. All are good ideas.

Great question NT03. Rick, not asking you to name names or anything, but if that person is still here, is there someone else that may listen? When presented to the Spirit Committee & Cheerleaders, did they give you their backing? I would think there would be strength in numbers.

Yes.

And yes I think if presented correctly with a video example, say in a power point showing how other schools do it(Memphis, K KState etc..) then it might be given another chance.

During our last trip to N.O. for our first round game against Memphis, I sat by Dr. Battaille. When Memphis started their T-I-G-E-R-S-TIGERS chant she turned to me and asked me "Why don't we have a unified yell like that?". And I told her at half time we had been trying to get one started. So she did what she could. She's the one that got me invited to present the idea befor the committee that fall.

I really thought a lot of Gretchen. She had a lot of spirit.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Or,

Rick

"We already have several prompted chants in place with the band"

This quote makes me laugh.

JRock

• Upvote 1

You know... there is a guy who owns an internet domain that hosts lots of UNT fans, that appears to be very friendly with the Athletic Director during his online interview broadcasts... :king:

Then, there's a guy who posts on said internet forum who is an eternal ray of Athletic Department sunshine. I mean, the Athletic Department can do no wrong by him, and he is beloved by the AD for this attitude. :clapping:

Finally, there are some donors on said website who give large amounts to the Athletic department. :money:

With their forces combined, this idea may be able to get back in the door with extreme traction.

Hey, does anyone know Mean Joe well enough to have him pitch the idea? :bow:

So we're putting me on the jumbotron. I like where this is going. There are few better qualified people.

"We already have several prompted chants in place with the band"

This quote makes me laugh.

JRock

Yeah, one of these is the one they've been trying to push on us for years that goes...

dunt, duh-nuh, nunt, duh-nuh, nunt...NORTH TEXAS

dunt, duh-nuh, nunt, duh-nuh, nunt...NORTH TEXAS

dunt, duh-nuh nunt, duh-nuh, nunt....NORTH TEXAS

and then what sounds like "Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiites"

This ones gotta go.

Have two sets of cheerleaders facing the crowd just like the “North” “Texas” chant. Girls on guys shoulders with cards.

On the first side of the card, the first pair holds up “U”.

Second pair holds up “N”.

Third pair holds up “T”.

Fourth pair holds up "Eagles"

First pair flips card over, which has “FIGHT”

Second pair flips card which has “FIGHT”

Third pair flips card which has “FIGHT”

Fourth pair flips card which has "!!"

Repeat ad nauseum.

Edited by LongJim

Despite the history with it, I think any mention of eagle (other than Scrappy obviously being an eagle) will be met with resistance. If so, I would suggest:

Student Side: North!

Alumni Side: Texas!

Student Side: Mean!

Alumni Side: Green!

Together: Fight! Fight! Fight!

Anything we do needs to be led by someone...preferably Scrappy on the jumbotron after every score, or there will never be any coordination. At KSU, the cheerleaders lift the Wildcat on a platform above their heads so everyone can see, as well as putting it on the jumbotron.

• Upvote 2

Funny that we're playing them this week, but when k state was here two years ago, they did the yell on the link below in our stadium. Then we copied their yell to be funny or something (ffr or emmitt started it I think) and it ended up sounding really good in my opinion and it was the most involved the alumni side has ever been since I started attending games in 2005. It's simple and I like the idea of one person or the mascot leading it.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m9y5z26qi#/watch?v=wIvij7C_0PE

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1

I think a new chant is a great idea. As a student, I'm not sure on involving the alumni side, not because I want to be selfish, but...

-Alumni attendance seems to be pretty bad

-The alumni side already seem to be a bit apathetic towards getting loud and yelling

-How do you teach alumni a new chant? (Not that it seems like they're doing any of the current ones).

I would be in favor of something similar to what FirefightnRick posted on page three..

"Go Mean Green, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" or something such as.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1