Rooting for Sunbelt?

jdennis82

The announcement that ASU's opener @ Oregon will be broadcast on ESPN was made official yesterday.

It brought to mind a question we now face: do we root for our current conference-mates in their OOC games? Prior to the confirmation of the CUSA move, it would've been a no-brainer - hope for ASU to pull the upset of the year and bring credibility to the Sunbelt.

Now, though, does that change? Are we more concerned with possible recruiting battles with our temporary conference partners?

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

The real question is who do you root for when a CUSA team plays a Belt team this year. I am assuming there are a few games; not counting games against outgoing members such as NT against Houston. I think our loyalty is at this point to CUSA, no matter we still have a year of Belt left.

As far as other OC Belt games; go Belt.

Other than FIU and NT I hope the sun belt gets destroyed in every game they play in every sport this year (except for RPI help in basketball). This is especially true when CUSA schools are playing the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt is not our conference; CUSA is.

Yeah, I love seeing the bigger conferences beat up on the small ones too!

I sure hope Alabama teaches WKU a lesson or that Arkansas whoops up on Monroe.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Upvote 1

I know I am in the minority here, but I really enjoyed our Sun Belt brethren and will always support them in 2012. The only time I might root against in 2013 and beyond is when they are playing CUSA and I may have to hold my nose with the ugly bird known as UTSA.

GMG

• Upvote 4

Hell, I'll root for a "little guy" against a "big guy" 99 times out of a hundred, conference mates or not.

Off-topic but reminds me of something I've been wondering.

As a general rule, I've put my "rooting energy" into Boise State quite bit hoping to see them keep SEC fans seething about how undeserved their rankings were. Now going into the Big East, I don't care if they lose every game. I'm wondering if moving to the almost big time of the Big East may actually hurt national interest in watching their games.