CUSA Chatter

UNTexas

I have been reading other CUSA boards. It's pretty interesting to read how different fans tend to behave.

ECU fans talk a big game but seem to be pretty funny for the most part. Solid looking fan base.

Tulane, Tulsa, and USM seem pretty well mannered but aren't really vocal.

La Tech is really thrilled. I guess I don't blame them. We are too!

UTSA folks seem genuinely happy and very excited about their future. They are getting dragged through the coals by a lot of people for no reason. They are in. Not much else to say. I think they will become a good program. San Antonio is a great town and will be fun to go watch games. They are going to rape a few other schools on recruiting.

Speaking of UTSA bashing, UTEP seems to think they are super special. They have a horrid football history, shameful academics standards, and accept anyone who applies. They are super insecure and are bashing UTSA nonstop. Probably because UTSA has more to offer in the long run. They pimp El Paso continuously. I just moved from EP. It's an awful city with no redeeming qualities unless you like obese women, nothing to do, or Chico's Tacos. Unfit cuisine for a starving person I might add. (sorry in advance, El Pasoans will go crazy over that statement) Anyway, they are going crazy over UTSA.

I wish our fans would chill out on mentioning Apogee every other word. (so does everyone else) Everyone knows we have a new stadium. We need to win or none of this stuff going on means crap.

Marshal has some really awesome folks. Especially a current student that was apparently robbed by a swimmer during a one night stand after she peed his bed. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. Great thread though.

The rest of the schools are silent for the most part.

It's going to be a fun conference.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

The message board banner is predictable and a lot of it is negative. Tulane who had one of the worst if not the worst football teams in the nation last year, has a lot of fans that are really upset about all the newcomers with the surprising exception of La Tech. Tulsa fans think that they will win about everything in the very weak West. The Belt message board is full of upset people proclaiming that the Belt will soon past CUSA quickly as they replaced what they lost with better teams.

Outside of the Belt board, were you would think that NT never were competitive in anything from a lot of comments; NT is usually mostly ignored. A lot of gripes about UTSA and a few lauding the La Tech addition. Not many have shown any excitement about NT's entry, other than to bemoan in general the poor group of schools added.

Despite, the lukewarm welcome from current CUSA members and the sour grapes coming from a lot of Belt fans; NT is in CUSA and I think will quickly surprise a lot of people. It was a long time coming, and could be the start of the emergence of NT as a sports power.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I echo what Grand said. If message boards picked conference members we'd be lucky to be in the Southland. Many posters are shallow and opinionated. They don't know about others and few make it a point to learn. We need to thankful that university presidents pick members based on facts.

When I first learned that we were (all but) in CUSA I envisioned that we were middle-of-the-pack and might stay that way for at least several years. As I look at the coaching changes that I have taken place in the past year I believe that North Texas will be a sports power in CUSA. Jones and Hedlund were the only coaches that I really felt good about prior to a couple of years ago. Now, softball is the only coaching staff that I'm not comfortable with. I see great recruiting improvement in soccer, volleyball, especially men's and women's basketball, golf, tennis and swimming and diving with membership in the Sun Belt. It should be even better in all sports under CUSA.

The culmination of the coaching improvement occurred today when Rob Evans, former coach at Ole Miss and Arizona State left his job at TCU to come be with Tony Benford on the men's basketball staff. When I see coaches like McCarney, Petersen, Benford and Evans accepting positions here when they could've likely had higher-paying jobs elsewhere, I think that the potential for special achievement radiates from our university. They see the opportunity. I hope our fans will.

• Upvote 5

Is NMSU in the mix if OD is out?

NMSU has not been considered for CUSA. The Aggies have a remote chance for the MWC at some future date. They are a possibility for the Sun Belt.

The only possibility that has been publicly stated for CUSA should ODU decline is Middle Tennessee. They are qualified (even moreso than some that have been accepted) and would fill a hole geographically in the eastern division.

• Upvote 1

UNTexas, UTEP has plenty of solid programs, just like UNT. Stop acting as if UNT is some paragon in state school academics. As someone who has been on both campuses multiple times, the vibe from the people at each university (and their respective cities, i.e. Denton) is incredibly similar. I understand that UTEP fans are acting like they're the Longhorns of the Big XII in CUSA, but they've got seniority and have gone to bowl games and NCAA tournaments in the last decade. That's usually enough to be prideful in. They also talk the way they do because they know UNT and UTSA pose a threat to them.

• Upvote 4

UNTexas, UTEP has plenty of solid programs, just like UNT. Stop acting as if UNT is some paragon in state school academics. As someone who has been on both campuses multiple times, the vibe from the people at each university (and their respective cities, i.e. Denton) is incredibly similar. I understand that UTEP fans are acting like they're the Longhorns of the Big XII in CUSA, but they've got seniority and have gone to bowl games and NCAA tournaments in the last decade. That's usually enough to be prideful in. They also talk the way they do because they know UNT and UTSA pose a threat to them.

I'm not saying we are the greatest and you can check your smug state school comment at the door. Nobody but you people give a damn about state school versus private. As an El Pasoan I can tell you this crap they are posting is how a lot of them really think. Most of that place thinks the world ends at Loop 375. My best friend is a former professor there. The stories are amazing. If you think their almost 100 percent acceptance rate is kosher then stop reading now. For the most part I agree with your post but I can tell you from many years out there that the town and much of what use to be a fine University has become a punchline. It didn't use to be though. Pretty sad. Half my family went to school there as well. They are really pissed about the state of affairs at that school. I don't blame them either. If UNT were in their shoes, I would be fighting mad. I have a lot of UTEP friends that feel the same.

If it was the Chico's Taco comment that you didn't like. Sorry, I stand by it.

Either way no one here wants to hear a lecture from a douche from SMU that starts off with your nonsense. You probably don't even get why.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

NMSU has not been considered for CUSA. The Aggies have a remote chance for the MWC at some future date. They are a possibility for the Sun Belt.

The only possibility that has been publicly stated for CUSA should ODU decline is Middle Tennessee. They are qualified (even moreso than some that have been accepted) and would fill a hole geographically in the eastern division.

NMSU is sol unless ODU turns down offer to join CUSA and MTSU accepts. then the Belt might reach out. otherwise, the Aggies are in the same boat as Idaho.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not saying we are the greatest and you can check your smug state school comment at the door. Nobody but you people give a damn about state school versus private. As an El Pasoan I can tell you this crap they are posting is how a lot of them really think. Most of that place thinks the world ends at Loop 375. My best friend is a former professor there. The stories are amazing. If you think their almost 100 percent acceptance rate is kosher then stop reading now. For the most part I agree with your post but I can tell you from many years out there that the town and much of what use to be a fine University has become a punchline. It didn't use to be though. Pretty sad. Half my family went to school there as well. They are really pissed about the state of affairs at that school. I don't blame them either. If UNT were in their shoes, I would be fighting mad. I have a lot of UTEP friends that feel the same.

If it was the Chico's Taco comment that you didn't like. Sorry, I stand by it.

Either way no one here wants to hear a lecture from a douche from SMU that starts off with your nonsense. You probably don't even get why.

I'd watch throwing around the term douche. Comet is a smu fan, but he's been quite civil and it's sometimes good to get perspective, even if it is an smu one. Either way he's not being an ass, so there's no need to treat him like one.

Pretty classy that he didn't return volley in the same way you served him.

• Upvote 3

I love my Miner friends. I don't consider what is being said on the Miner boards consistent with what my experience was. Mostly humble folk that want a local winner to support. I actually got whipped enough by their forums to "need a break"....and now haven't seen their board in a couple years.

Regarding their academic standards, I do wonder if their entrance requirements are a reflection of their geography: they are 5 minutes from a huge market in Mexico and it would be in their better interests to help bring them in and educate them. I don't know the logistics of the entire thing (maybe you do), but raising entrance standards and getting all smug and exclusive towards one of the poorest Socio-economic areas in the country would not be in their best interests, IMO.

It's a good thing - as UNT knows - that low acceptance requirements within a college do not always reflect low graduation standards. The engineering department at UTEP is well respected, my profs hold a tremendous amount of respect in the community in and beyond El Paso, and I hear UNT music accepts almost any audition. The latter doesn't seem to too shabby, right?

Your horse sounds pretty high right now. Comet is one of the few SMU posters I am okay having around here.

El Pasoan of 24 years

UTEP 2007.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

It is particularly funny to read the Troy fans bashing NT and the move to CUSA. Currently, their overall athletic program is embarassing...even worse than ULM.

Those fans that know they will never move are the ones that are upset. There is a core of SB teams that will never be able to go any futher than the SB. Troy is one of those schools. They could win the SB for 20 years in a row and where they are located will always keep another conferece from wanting them. If we were to revisit the SB in 50 years I think you would still see Troy, ULM, Ark State and most likely ULL be in some sort of conferece with each other, if it would still be called the SB I don't know.

• Upvote 1

I do admit I haven't been to El Paso since like 2004 but I must say I really liked that place. Nice and genuine people that clearly support their university even if they didn't go there...something Denton fails to do. That El Paso and Las Cruces and surrounding NM area I thought is really really nice and pleasant. And I encountered a lot of students from El Paso during my time at UNT and all great people.

As for calling Comet a douche...lets's not assume anything just because they may be a fan of or support SMU. The SMU posters that do come here are all very nice and respectful of us and Comet is definitely one of those good dudes.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 1

Well he did poopoo all over Chico's Tacos, that took some restraint.

I knew you were mad about Chicos. I still stand by its awful. The red liquid is scary.

Apologies for the douche comment but the typical "State" school statement is so clichés, especially with a SMU avatar. I do agree with much of statement like I said. I just left EP thankfully. I use to have season tickets to football and basketball there but I finally stopped because of the nonsense I learned about out there. It's sucks because when my dad went there he said it was great and loved it. Even he stopped supporting them. Even EP ain't even close to what it was years ago.

In all honesty now that I am gone I could care less about them. I added commentary to what I have seen about their behavior towards the expansion teams. I think you were dead on in your accessment of why they are reacting the way they are.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Downvote 3

I never frequented Chicos, but enjoyed the tacos at the McRae location.

The others didn't taste the same.

My buddy just called yelling at me because I told him I wrote something negative about Chicos. I seriously don't get the allure of that place. Now I can kill some Chopes though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My buddy just called yelling at me because I told him I wrote something negative about Chicos. I seriously don't get the allure of that place. Now I can kill some Chopes though.

It's all good everybody has their sense of taste. Just like me and In N Out...don't get me wrong it's a good burger but I don't get the constant obsession and boner over that place...especially when they first opened here in the metroplex last year. I can't say it's better than it's competitors in my personal opinion. I don't get Californians and their In N Out.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I never much got into Chico's, but the years I spent tooling around El Paso as part of my territory, I grew to love the town, the food, and the people. I really look forward to getting back out there.

I've eaten chicos tacos too and I'm pretty apathetic towards them... They didn't do that much for me one way or the other

• Upvote 1