CUSA/MWC Merger Unlikely

KoldBeer

You seem cool. But so many of your fans are complete self righteous vulgar slang terms for the male genitalia for no reason at all.

I agree that Tech fans can be pretty opinionated................well, let's just say, passionate.

Comparing UNT with LaTech's attitude of undying, passionate (but probably moreso a bit false one might say) sense of entitlement for CUSA membership yall have us beat 100 to 1 in that department, but even La Tech's most passionate would probably admit that LTU is at this time in their athletic history more at a crossroads conference -wise than UNT. If we didn't get in the Alliance although I think the concensus says we're in, at least we're not mixed up in all the present WAC turmoil).

Yet a bit of history (or legacy if you will) which I think this time around has been working to our advantage, but North Texas has been applying for other "major" conference memberships much longer than La Tech beginning with Hayden Fry's (when he was AD/HFC at North Texas) quest for SWC membership in the mid 1970's. (I'm stretching my baby boomer memory bank here but I am really trying with great difficulty to remember what La Tech was doing in that same era and at what NCAA classification)?

Of course, we didn't get in the SWC because of all the usual "private school" reasons, but during that era we were busy beating the Tennessee Vols, Houston Coogs, SMU, Miss. St. plus a Top 20 ranked San Diego St. Aztec football team and even got a Mean Green football team Top 20 ranking of our own couple of times. (We were hardly chopped liver as a football progam during the Fry Era in other words).

More History............. North Texas had already been in a conference with Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Tulsa, Cincy' ,etc, in the Missouri Valley Conference so for us all this of late has just been a matter of North Texas getting back to where we should have stayed with similar schools or merely advanced back to a few decades back. What kicked out butt were those 12 unglorious years in NCAA 1-AA albeit in one of those football seasons we had wins over Rice, Texas Tech and a win literally snatched away from us by extremely SWC-biased referees in our game against the Texas Longhorns (as linked below for those who never knew about this biggest homer call of all time or had forgotten).

And back to UNT's Missouri Valley Conference days (and some of us would prefer a non smack response from a La Tech'ster) but at what level was La Tech competing during UNT"s MVC era, too)? So over a period of a half century, one might make a case for North Texas that it is our time to advance compared to any school that has in that same 50 year timeline had what some might describe a small handful of flash in the pan successes (albeit a small handful of impressive ones ever so often).

Now back to that UT/North Texas link of which most Texas Exes after that game even said we got screwed out of a win along with classy Longhorn fans similar comments they made as they left what is now DKR Memorial Stadium that night as both of our school's fans walked back to the stadium parking lots and to our cars.

In the link I just love the UT TV Broadcasters saying: "Uh, oh..." :unsure:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fPcZN6adx7U

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Comparing UNT with LaTech's attitude of undying, passionate (but probably moreso a bit false one might say) sense of entitlement for CUSA membership yall have us beat 100 to 1 in that department, but even La Tech's most passionate would probably admit that LTU is at this time in their athletic history more at a crossroads conference -wise than UNT. If we didn't get in the Alliance although I think the concensus says we're in, at least we're not mixed up in all the present WAC turmoil).

Yet a bit of history (or legacy if you will) which I think this time around has been working to our advantage, but North Texas has been applying for other "major" conference memberships much longer than La Tech beginning with Hayden Fry's (when he was AD/HFC at North Texas) quest for SWC membership in the mid 1970's. (I'm stretching my baby boomer memory bank here but I am really trying with great difficulty to remember what La Tech was doing in that same era and at what NCAA classification)?

Of course, we didn't get in the SWC because of all the usual "private school" reasons, but during that era we were busy beating the Tennessee Vols, Houston Coogs, SMU, Miss. St. plus a Top 20 ranked San Diego St. Aztec football team and even got a Mean Green football team Top 20 ranking of our own couple of times. (We were hardly chopped liver as a football progam during the Fry Era in other words).

More History............. North Texas had already been in a conference with Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Tulsa, Cincy' ,etc, in the Missouri Valley Conference so for us all this of late has just been a matter of North Texas getting back to where we should have stayed with similar schools or merely advanced back to a few decades back. What kicked out butt were those 12 unglorious years in NCAA 1-AA albeit in one of those football seasons we had wins over Rice, Texas Tech and a win literally snatched away from us by extremely SWC-biased referees in our game against the Texas Longhorns (as linked below for those who never knew about this biggest homer call of all time or had forgotten).

And back to UNT's Missouri Valley Conference days (and some of us would prefer a non smack response from a La Tech'ster) but at what level was La Tech competing during UNT"s MVC era, too)? So over a period of a half century, one might make a case for North Texas that it is our time to advance compared to any school that has in that same 50 year timeline had what some might describe a small handful of flash in the pan successes (albeit a small handful of impressive ones ever so often).

Now back to that UT/North Texas link of which most Texas Exes after that game even said we got screwed out of a win along with classy Longhorn fans similar comments they made as they left what is now DKR Memorial Stadium that night as both of our school's fans walked back to the stadium parking lots and to our cars.

GMG!

Another little bit of useless history. Fry's team played La Tech, La Tech was close to the top of what was than considered small colleges in football, NT won if my memory is correct, 40-0. The point of this story is that NT had a good year and would have been a top candidate for the Independence Bowl but La Tech was already in as the opponent. Obviously, the Bowl wanted no part of a repeat slaughter so NT was passed over.

• Upvote 2

You guys choosing ULL over La Tech.............why not just wish for Notre Dame. Might as well because ULL is not a candidate for CUSA at this time.

And NT is definitely in, right? Signed, sealed, and delivered. I think Tech will just wait and hope to get in, rather than start moving teams around already.

Just my opinion, which has absolutely no bearing on who ends up in what conference. La-La fans are great, welcoming and supportive of their conference mates (when they aren't playing the Cajuns). All I have ever experienced from La Tech fans is a superiority complex towards the Sun Belt including the FB coach and AD making backhanded remarks last year. Karma's a ... just ask Earl.

• Upvote 3

Well, that's all very interesting reading and a nice history lesson..............and I congratulate you guys on all your successes, but what does any of that have to do with Tech fans perhaps going a little overboard at times? Regardless, y'all won't have to worry about overcoming all these obstacles any longer as you will soon be in CUSA. Just not quite sure why you would want ULL to join you.

Sorry........was late with this post. It was meant to follow the two previous posts.

Edited by Wing-over

Just my opinion, which has absolutely no bearing on who ends up in what conference. La-La fans are great, welcoming and supportive of their conference mates (when they aren't playing the Cajuns). All I have ever experienced from La Tech fans is a superiority complex towards the Sun Belt including the FB coach and AD making backhanded remarks last year. Karma's a ... just ask Earl.

Tech was very supportive of its conference mates too.........it's just that we weren't in the Sun Belt. If we ever end up in a conference with NT, I can assure you we will be welcoming and supportive towards you guys as well. It will be interesting to see after a period of time, how y'alls opinion of the Sun Belt evolves.

GMG!

That is classic!! The "uh, oh" after them yammering on is hilarious. Just curious........was that UT's last play........was there time left on the clock? If it was mentioned in the video, I must have missed it.

Tech was very supportive of its conference mates too.........it's just that we weren't in the Sun Belt. If we ever end up in a conference with NT, I can assure you we will be welcoming and supportive towards you guys as well. It will be interesting to see after a period of time, how y'alls opinion of the Sun Belt evolves.

Plus, they're in Lafayette...just sayin'

• Upvote 1

My two cents on La Tech. I followed their message board closely when they and NT were both up for CUSA the first time. I have never seen so much slander of a school, NT, by a bunch of ignorant fans in my life. If you are going to gloat your superiority at least get a few facts right. Message boards aren't a factor in anything, but that did leave a very bad impression on me. They have continued the same stuff toward the Belt, which I have never understood. Delusional fans are everywhere but LTU has taken it a big step further as administers and coaches have joined in with downgrading the Belt.

I have been to games at Ruston, and frankly I didn't see any basis for La Tech illusions. La Tech has and I always give credit, done a lot given their resources. They have consistently picked better football coaches than NT and have out recruited NT in football most years.

I would pick MTSU, WKU or ULL and even UTSA over La Tech because I think all have more long term potential. The only advantage I see in La Tech's favor from an NT perspective is their proximity to Denton. Shreveport is not a bad city to spend a couple of days in but neither is Lafayette or San Antonio.

Although La Tech is not my favorite, I think they will get in because of their history and location. Certainly, a result I can live with assuming NT gets in also. I just think WKU and MTSU are better overall athletic programs now, and although ULL hasn't done much until last year; I think they will grow to be the better program. UTSA has done next to nothing this far, but obviously has greater potential.

Edited by GrandGreen

I just thought of something ... if things work out this way would Tulsa become our "rival" in NCAA 14?

I would think, in that scenario, UTEP would be our natural rival. It's been so long since we've beaten Tulsa, and one sided, that I doubt that could be called a rivalry. We're 6-17 vs. Tulsa and 11-5 vs. UTEP.

I would think, in that scenario, UTEP would be our natural rival. It's been so long since we've beaten Tulsa, and one sided, that I doubt that could be called a rivalry. We're 6-17 vs. Tulsa and 11-5 vs. UTEP.

Come on man! We are better than that. 13-5-3 record against UTEP.

Just to stir the pot. Say there's no merger and CUSA goes back to 12.

Why are folks lobbying for Mid Tenn (as one poster wants to call them)?

Wouldn't FAU make more sense. Brings more of the Miami market, better facilities, Florida recruiting.

CUSA-East

Marshall/ECU

FIU/FAU

UAB/Southern Miss

CUSA-West

Tulane/LA Tech

Rice/Tulsa

UTEP/UNT

Edited by shaft

Just personal preference. I think its basically a toss up, so I'll always take the one that is the closer drive.

Have you been to both? If so, you have a better basis than I.

I've only been to Lafayette, and the food/people are absolutely amazing. I would not mind sharing conferences with them for the sake of LaLa road trips. It's crazy awesome.

I've never been to LaTech, but I've heard their facilities are atrocious. I vaguely remember some football success 15 - 20 years ago (WAC title?), and they have Terry Bradshaw to hang their hat on, but what else? I don't see or hear of any commitment from their AD, so maybe that's why none of their conference brethren seem to give them a voice/vote in discussions?

I've been a little out of the loop lately on LaTech, though; if we have any Bulldog lurkers: not trying to flame you! Feel free to update me and make yourselves feel better.

• Upvote 1

Just to stir the pot. Say there's no merger and CUSA goes back to 12.

Why are folks lobbying for Mid Tenn (as one poster wants to call them)?

Wouldn't FAU make more sense. Brings more of the Miami market, better facilities, Florida recruiting.

CUSA-East

Marshall/ECU

FIU/FAU

UAB/Southern Miss

CUSA-West

Tulane/LA Tech

Rice/Tulsa

UTEP/UNT

Let's look at a few of the items that could decide which to include in expansion:

Revenue/Budget

MTSU $23,869,784

FAU $18,172,267

Stadium Capacity

MTSU 31,788

FAU 30,000

Attendance

MTSU 18,407 (Lower than their norm over the past several years)

FAU 17,565

Arena Capacity

MTSU 11,802 (Only UTEP would be larger)

FAU 5,000

BB Attendance

MTSU 3,640

FAU 1,542

TV Households

FAU 788,000

MTSU 676,000

Enrollment

FAU 28,325

MTSU 26,430

Median SAT of Entering Freshmen

FAU 1070

MTSU 1035

All-Time FB Winning Percentage

MTSU .570 (65)

FAU .439 (119)

BB RPI (Ranking based on 120 FBS teams

MTSU 34

FAU 97

Of those ten categories, Middle Tennessee tops Florida Atlantic in seven. Florida is more of a recruiting hotbed than Tennessee but with FIU pretty much an accomplished fact, I'm not sure that we need another entity in Florida for now. FAU has had attendance problems from the gitgo but a lot of that had to do with playing in a small stadium 20 miles from campus. The on-campus stadium will certainly help those attendance problems but probably not enough to exceed Middle's. Middle Tenn's attendance had been in the low 20s; should be better in CUSA.

Of those ten categories, Middle Tennessee tops Florida Atlantic in seven. Florida is more of a recruiting hotbed than Tennessee but with FIU pretty much an accomplished fact, I'm not sure that we need another entity in Florida for now. FAU has had attendance problems from the gitgo but a lot of that had to do with playing in a small stadium 20 miles from campus. The on-campus stadium will certainly help those attendance problems but probably not enough to exceed Middle's. Middle Tenn's attendance had been in the low 20s; should be better in CUSA.

Seven out of ten? You gave us the same three indicators multiple different ways.

Budget - MTSU

Football Attendance,Stadium Size, Enrollment and SAT's are all a wash.

BB Arena Size - Irrelevant. Why does it matter than MTSU has more empty seats than FAU.

Basketball - Yes BB is important, but its not that important. RPI changes with the conference change.

Media Market - FAU. South Florida is a huge market.

All time wins - Irrelevant. Conference is expansion is about what you bring to the table.

I don't buy a change in conference will help one school's attendance, but not another. I also think your downplaying FAU new stadium too much.

• Upvote 1