No POY for Tony.

Green P1

Don't blame the league, don't the coaches and sports writers vote on this. Yes, the player that everyone bases their defenses to stop and leader in just about every category is second to the best player of the best team. Who by definition has a much better team around him. OC play should have nothing to do with conference selections.

I can totally understand why he didn't win it. TM only played half a year (player of the year, not half a year), Dendy played on a championship team, and TM is a freshman. All likely counted against him.

I think he is the best player in the league, probably by far. But I get it.

You are obviously right, there had to be some rationale for giving it to someone who was undoubtable not the POY. However, the lack of oc play, being a freshman, and not being on the championship team, should have not mattered one bit especially when it was clear that Mitchell was the best player in the conference.

The award is not for best upper classmen or for outstanding non-conference play. Also the winner last year played on a fifth place in the division team if I am remembering right.

The voters IMO did a big disservice to the award. If the players were close I can see weighting those factors in, but the players were not close. I think there was more than a little lets show that big NBA talent that he is not so hot sentiment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

LaRon Dendy (Middle Tennessee, Sr., F) Player of the year.

:huh:

Is the conference throwing Dendy a bone or something?

:wacko:

I am sure Dendy is a good player but is he good enought to be assured of going to the NBA?

:disgust:

:no:

Who did the voting on this? Did they not see Tony play?

:shocking:

:thumbdown:

:ass:

• Upvote 1

For you youngsters....many years ago Kenneth Lyons was voted co-player of the year in the Southland. He was robbed of the outright title by freshman Karl Malone. Lyons put 47 points on the Mailman as NT destroyed LaTech. Maybe some Tony revenge this coming weekend? Hope so.