Center hanging scoreboard

ADLER

Here's Tulsa's new videoboard at the Reynolds Center.

These new amazingly clear LED boards seem to add a lot to the game experience, and it sure would be nice to watch clear replays of some of the monster dunks and amazing assists.

Would something like this be a cost effective addition to the Super Pit experience?

New_TU_scoreboard_rendering_t908.jpg?8485bc8be6137b1c30c2d0e%E2%80%8Badb3d051bb509bbcd

The video board, which is the only one of its kind in college athletics, features two main boards that measure 30-feet long by 15-feet high, and two end wedge boards that measure 12-feet wide by 15-feet high. The $2 million project, funded by a generous donation from ONEOK, also includes two 12-foot-by-4-foot video boards above opposite tunnels that replaced the scoreboards.
Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3

If we are going to start making waves with this class you better think about what people will see and feel about our Superpit when they drive in to watch this team play. I would say that 5-7 of the people directly around me at the Jackson St. game had never been to the Pit. A board like that would increase our attendance by 1k a game I would be willing to wager my life on it. Our AD has already found donors for the football stadium and even sold naming rights. Surely they could present to local area businesses the opportunity of being seen on a huge screen like that for years to come right? Esp when the best of North Texas basketball apparently lies ahead of us.

TulsaWorld Video

edit* who knows.... would Apogee be interested in naming rights on the board and springing at least some of the cash?

If the department wants to spend a lot of money on fancy video equipment for a facility they don't own, they're welcome to buy an 80" TV for my house.

I'll even guarantee that I won't EVER host a high school robotics competition on a night with a men's basketball game.

I'd love to see the University put a video board in the Pit. I'd love to see the Athletics Department spend that kind of money anywhere else.

Even more than a video board, the University needs to spend a few thousand dollars carving out a new ramp path through the curbs across North Texas Boulevard and painting the crosswalk on the opposite side of exiting traffic. We'd empty out the Fouts parking lot a lot faster and safer if 95% of traffic didn't have to stop or turn out across pedestrian traffic.

Even more than a video board, the University needs to spend a few thousand dollars carving out a new ramp path through the curbs across North Texas Boulevard and painting the crosswalk on the opposite side of exiting traffic. We'd empty out the Fouts parking lot a lot faster and safer if 95% of traffic didn't have to stop or turn out across pedestrian traffic.

The original designs for the Super Pit had the patio around the facility stretched out over North Texas Boulevard with steps and ramps heading down to the Fouts parking lot. In addition to safety from traffic, the bridge would provide cover for the guest teams entering through the small west side basement door.

Hopefully this will be incorporated into the university plans when the stadium and practice fields are converted to parking facilities.

I agree that a new centercourt board like that would be fantastic. Some have said that there are roof weight bearing structural problems with the concept, but it's hard to believe that engineers can't come up with a reasonably cost effective solution. That old board was a lot better than the mini-boards and weak sound system situation that we have now.

• Upvote 1

I agree that a new centercourt board like that would be fantastic. Some have said that there are roof weight bearing structural problems with the concept, but it's hard to believe that engineers can't come up with a reasonably cost effective solution. That old board was a lot better than the mini-boards and weak sound system situation that we have now.

I'm not a structural engineer, and you could be correct. But with the advances in technology, weight shouldn't be a factor. Heck, a 46" LED TV only weighs 40-50 pounds.

If the department wants to spend a lot of money on fancy video equipment for a facility they don't own, they're welcome to buy an 80" TV for my house.

I'll even guarantee that I won't EVER host a high school robotics competition on a night with a men's basketball game.

I'd love to see the University put a video board in the Pit. I'd love to see the Athletics Department spend that kind of money anywhere else.

Ahhhhh...great to see everyone still willing to tell the university and the athletic department what they SHOULD and should not do...and where they should and should not spend the critically few resources that it has. Always good to see that a North Texas tradition is alive and well.....all the while sitting on one's wallet and believing it is a job for someone else to help raise the funds to make it happen. With so very many priorities within the athletic dept. and so few funds to work with, there is no way that RV spends any money to upgrade the Super Pit. Any upgrades there will need to come from the university or some private donor. Folks, lots of things could be done to make UNT better, but it all takes $$$$ not just folks sitting back complaining or telling someone else what they should do. It is way past time that supporters of UNT step up and help make it happen. I know that many on this board are doing just that...they are providing support for athletics through the Mean Green Club, the Alumni Association and the University in general through their volunteer efforts as well as their money. But, even while Mean green Club memberships are up some 80% over last year and while Alumni Association membership is beginning to creep slowly up, there are still way too many who feel perfectly fine in sitting back and letting everyone else carry the load. It will not happen at UNT with that sort of attitude.

UNT has seen a large increase in donations and the athletic dept. is seeing increased donations as well, but it still is far too little to do what needs to be done. In every project over the past few years, cuts have had to be made in order to be able to afford the finished project. I personally know of things that had to be cut from the Apogee budget to make it come in on budget. It's a matter of funding...and if you think that even a $25 dollar donation to Athletics or a single yearly membership to the Alumni Association, etc. will not make a difference, you are sadly mistaken.

A single membership to the Alumni Association at about $45 counts the same as the $22million donation the university recently received when it comes to the "donors" count in the Tier One formula. A new Mean green Club member at any level also counts as a donor to the university. Support, at any level, helps and helps in a big way these days...lots of places to donate our very hard earned money these days...all I can ask and will ask is that you consider sharing a pert of those donations with UNT. You pick the area, you decide on the amount...it all counts and it all counts in a very BIG WAY.

To all those that current support the university, I cannot thank you enough...in whatever way you support the university...that is your decision and none is any better than any other. It all counts.

That being said, if you would like to see improvements in athletics, academics, facilities, support, Alumni Association activities, then you must get involved. UNT can no longer afford the "time honored UNT tradition" of letting someone else do it. The time is now...the time for all of us is now.

Edit: Hmmmm...do some of my posts hit too close to home for some? If the shoe fits wear it. If my posting the need for support for UNT bothers you then maybe you need to look in the mirror a bit. Requesting support for UNT should not bother anyone. If you don't ask, you never get...if folks do not support UNT in much higher numbers and with more $$$, UNT will not be able to reach the heights all of us hope it will. Sorry to offend some so easily...is it a stick pig thing????

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

I saw this on the C-USA board. The thing looks great. I'd love to have one at the Pit. Since everyone is addressing their Christmas wish list, I'd like to see an improvement in quality of the Mean Green Premium broadcasts. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad to have the service, but it doesn't exactly look like netflix when I connect it to a large T.V. I'd be willing to pay more if it ment watching a higher quality picture.

• Upvote 1

How horrible is life when the Super Pit becomes the inferior facility when comparing basketball with football? I was looking up on Friday, and noticing the absence of a hanging scoreboard though. I'd say that even a basic "Home: Away:" LED display would be nice there. But the 10,000 cushioned chairbacks? That's some premo college basketball real estate there. It's tough watching 48 minutes riding a pine bench.

As for audio, for a university with a school of film, radio and television, it seems nigh impossible in both facilities for anybody to wire speakers up to a mic. I wonder if I started going to basketball games if I'd become as fluent in ref signals as I've become in football ref hand signals.

• Upvote 4

I saw this on the C-USA board. The thing looks great. I'd love to have one at the Pit. Since everyone is addressing their Christmas wish list, I'd like to see an improvement in quality of the Mean Green Premium broadcasts. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad to have the service, but it doesn't exactly look like netflix when I connect it to a large T.V. I'd be willing to pay more if it ment watching a higher quality picture.

You may want to try this site on the day of our game. If the game is picked up at all, the picture quality "may" be a little better.

First Row Sports

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

How horrible is life when the Super Pit becomes the inferior facility when comparing basketball with football? I was looking up on Friday, and noticing the absence of a hanging scoreboard though. I'd say that even a basic "Home: Away:" LED display would be nice there. But the 10,000 cushioned chairbacks? That's some premo college basketball real estate there. It's tough watching 48 minutes riding a pine bench.

As for audio, for a university with a school of film, radio and television, it seems nigh impossible in both facilities for anybody to wire speakers up to a mic. I wonder if I started going to basketball games if I'd become as fluent in ref signals as I've become in football ref hand signals.

Happy to see you found the basketball board. Welcome.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Not sure where you're at Side Show, but NTTV broadcasts many games. You can find it on FiOS ch.46 or Charter ch.22 (I think) if you are in the metroplex. It's a blessing for me since I can't get babysitters as much as my NT passion deserves.

Picture quality isn't fantastic on FiOS but I'm certain it's better than MGP. Check 'em out tonight if you can. Broadcast starts at 6:50. FiOS' guide never shows the games (lists "Local Programming" all day), but the NTTV Website has finally started providing their TV schedule.

GMG!

The in game sound atmosphere is pretty bad and needs to improve. When there is a timeout of some sort and when they play a jamming tune it sounds like someone has a boombox on full blast. Certainly we can do better.

I don't really care that much about the center hanging scoreboard but it would be nice. I do however think that much much bigger and better video screens are very necessary. The ones at the super pit are just so small in my personal opinion.

Tho if I have the opportunity to watch Tony Mitchell like talent wearing a Mean Green jersey every season then I am willing to compromise those things I just mentioned :)

I don't know the solution, but the current scoreboard situation is an embarrassment to the university. Last night, it was only half functioning and you couldn't see any players stats.

With a large crowd coming tomorrow, I hope the current scoreboard is fixed. Even if it is, it is still an embarrassment to the university and the one thing the Pit is missing to make it a major college basketball venue.

Surely something can be done. This should be a priority for the AD, school, or both. Stop pointing fingers on who is responsible and get something done!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1