5-star, true freshman running back quitter leaves OU

Another in a long line of Sooner quitters quits. This kid saw the writing on the wall early, though...he quit after his true freshman year:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Alabama/football/recruiting/player-Brandon-Williams-105895

He got a good bit of playing time this year because several of OU backs quit early in the season, then their walk-on who was the starter got injured.

Anyway, he played at OU as a true freshman, and will have four years to play three some someone who has love of quitters.

Final 2011 stats

8 games (0 starts) - 46 rushes-219 yards - 4.8 yards per carry - 0 touchdowns

Rumors out of Norman that former 4-star RB Brennan Clay may transfer as well:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Brennan-Clay-79089

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/clay_brennan00.html

Clay is a true sophomore, so he'd have three to play two if he also leaves the Sooners.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'd like to have this quitter in Denton with us, but rumor is that he's looking at Texas A&M. Brookshire is apparently close to College Station...or, closer than Norman. It is said Williams has a child or somesuch that he's trying to be closer to.

That's as admirable reason to quit OU as any. Good luck at A&M, dude...you're going to need it in the SEC with your CUSA-quality coach.

KA-POW!

• Downvote 1

Just like the jobs we have, people, working condition, and personal factors all affect why we stay at or move to another job, or even change careers. D1 sports are no different, except student athletes don't get paid for they're services. I know they get scholarships, but look at most D1 school's athletic budgets. Meaning D1 school's get a return on investment for the scholarships they offer, at least in D1 FB & BB.

Having said that these athletes have to make a decision regarding the school they're going to attend when they're 17 or 18 years of age. Just like marriage sometimes things don't always work out as planed. It's a shame the word "transfer (who I'm sure has a very valid reason for leaving)" in stead of transfer is frequently use on the board. I'm sure all of these student athletes have a valid reason for leaving school to pursue other interest. I take a different view if they're connected to criminal or civil wrong doing.

As a matter of fact UNT's BB has benefited from many student who have transferred to UNT over the last several years, and our BB team has won more than 20 games per over the past 5 seasons. Based on this our football team could use a few more transfers, who I'm sure have valid reasons for looking at UNT as a possible school to continue their education.

Go Mean Green!!!

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is time to end the "Quitter" bit. It is not funny. Players and their families read this board and I doubt any like seeing players no longer on the team labelled in that manner. Playing college football is a tremendous year round commitment on a student athlete's time while being subjected to the pain and injury of playing in a violent sport. Players decide for a variety of reasons that playing college football at a certain school just is not right for them anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It is time to end the "Quitter" bit. It is not funny. Players and their families read this board and I doubt any like seeing players no longer on the team labelled in that manner. Playing college football is a tremendous year round commitment on a student athlete's time while being subjected to the pain and injury of playing in a violent sport. Players decide for a variety of reasons that playing college football at a certain school just is not right for them anymore.

First off, it's a running gag.

Second, and more importantly, this is why we will always be small time. At a "big time" school there are multiple message boards. And there are multiple REAL hate filled posters on each of them. And their players manage to sleep at night. Only at North Texas where we lament our irrelevance, then cling to our little fishbowl reality, could this be an issue.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Second, and more importantly, this is why we will always be small time. At a "big time" school there are multiple message boards. And there are multiple REAL hate filled posters on each of them. And their players manage to sleep at night. Only at North Texas where we lament our irrelevance, then cling to our little fishbowl reality, could this be an issue.

The fact there are no other Mean Green message boards makes this one more important. An athlete or athlete's family looking for information on UNT football online is likely to end up here.

I think selling the program is more important than running an inside joke into the ground that makes UNT fans look like we love to rip on athletes.

• Upvote 2

Please don't hate the word quitter. Hate the guys like TFLF who love to get everyone riled up by using it wrong.

+1

Exactly. I guess the downside of a little success this year is that people get tight and lose focus on what used to make this board fun:

(1) Bits

(2) Dick jokes

(3) Uniform talk

(4) Tight end talk

(5) High school coach talk

(6) Basics of running the football on 4th and 1 talk

(7) Importance of having a fullback to running the football on 4th and 1 talk

(8) Various inboard fights among FFR, Lifer, and Me

(9) Rick Villareal talk

(10) Attendance/Stadium talk

In short, this board used to be, in comparative terms, like The Hardline of message boards. It's now more like Norm Hitzges.

• Upvote 4

+1

Exactly. I guess the downside of a little success this year is that people get tight and lose focus on what used to make this board fun:

(1) Bits

(2) Dick jokes

(3) Uniform talk

(4) Tight end talk

(5) High school coach talk

(6) Basics of running the football on 4th and 1 talk

(7) Importance of having a fullback to running the football on 4th and 1 talk

(8) Various inboard fights among FFR, Lifer, and Me

(9) Rick Villareal talk

(10) Attendance/Stadium talk

In short, this board used to be, in comparative terms, like The Hardline of message boards. It's now more like Norm Hitzges.

Uniform talk is not fun.... :thumbsd:

• Upvote 1

The fact there are no other Mean Green message boards makes this one more important. An athlete or athlete's family looking for information on UNT football online is likely to end up here.

I think selling the program is more important than running an inside joke into the ground that makes UNT fans look like we love to rip on athletes.

Dear athlete or athlete's family,

please, when preparing for the next few years of your life, do not use any school's message board as a tool to decide your future.

Sincerely,

Common Sense

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3