UTSA in talks with CUSA

Harry

UTSATailgaters has confirmed with an un-named source inside of Conference USA that discussion is still in fact ongoing with UTSA about possibly joining that conference.

Further elaboration could not be provided.

On Wednesday Conference USA lost three of its major members when Houston, SMU and UCF officially joined the Big East Conference in all sports.

In an interview with UTSATailgaters, C-USA Commission Britton Banowsky spoke on the record about the day’s transpirings but did not comment on speculation with ongoing talks with UTSA.

Read More: http://www.utsatailgaters.com/football/articles/source-utsa-in-talks-with-c-usa

In an interview with UTSATailgaters, C-USA Commission Britton Banowsky spoke on the record about the day’s transpirings but did not comment on speculation with ongoing talks with UTSA.

Why comment on speculation? Honestly, why would Banowsky fuel a fire that appears to be fed by a nothing notable?

UTSATailgaters was also able to obtain a statement from Mountain West Chairman of the Board and UNLV President Neal Smatresk. “The previously-announced cooperative arrangement with Conference USA maintains great relevance today,” Smatresk said Wednesday in a statement “We remain confident in a future which will provide long-term stability for our member institutions and a platform upon which to continue the success which has become our collective trademark.”

==============

Hah, they were able to obtain a statement that is all over the Internet. Impressive!

• Upvote 2

Let's just admit it guys, this might happen. Prepare yourselves.

This is probably going to happen!! Yes, best prepare yourselves meangreenies. Lets just hope that CUSA goes for both the Dallas and San Antonio markets.

If utsa gets in and we don't it will sting more than going back down to D1AA in the eighties. In fact, if this does indeed happen we might as well go back down to the lower division after cleaning out the current Athletic Office.

Just my opinion.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I'd really like to know what our status is...from our school leaders. As long as I know we are lobbying, then I would be okay.

Agree. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Remember when Boise State moved to the WAC? It was either the AD or President of Boise who publically stated right after the move that it was the universitie's intent to become a member of the MWC (or was it the PAC 10). Of course the rest of Boise's journey is history. Point is, he made his intent known and they backed it on the field.

I remember a few months ago when SMU made a big stink about going to a BCS conference and everyone called it absurd, little more than their own pathetic hopes and dreams.

I really wish we were doing something, anything publicly to get our name out there.

No, lobbying doesn't necessarily get you into a conference, but it does get your brand out there and gets people talking about your program. This lets fans from other conferences and media members become more familiar with the UNT football program. This is important because, let's face it, we have been the joke of FBS football until this past season, when we were merely below average.

Outside of the metroplex, I would bet very few average college football fans in CUSA or the MWC even know that we have a new stadium. I doubt the average fan knows that we basically doubled the salary for not only the head coach, but the entire football coaching staff. We need people to know this because we don't want a future conference mate to have to worry about fan and media reaction to the announcement that UNT has been added to the conference.

Call it creating a positive image, marketing. selling your brand, or whatever. We should be doing it, and we aren't.

And I really don't know why.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Agree No one is laughing at them now, are they?

Rick

It doesn't help that our FB program has been flat lining since 2005. Only this year did we win 5 games with a shot at winning 6. The only reason SMU made it to the Big Least is they have had a winning record the last 3 years resulting in 3 bowl bids. I know they certainly didn't make it because of their record breaking attendance or their basketball tradition of winning.

Keep in mind that "support" at SMU has been so great that JJ has reaffirmed his commitment to the school/program.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It doesn't help that our FB program has been flat lining since 2005. Only this year did we win 5 games with a shot at winning 6. The only reason SMU made it to the Big Least is they have had a winning record the last 3 years resulting in 3 bowl bids. I know they certainly didn't make it because of their record breaking attendance or their basketball tradition of winning.

Keep in mind that "support" at SMU has been so great that JJ has reaffirmed his commitment to the school/program.

Do you honestly think it only took a 23-28 football record with two division titles in 4 seasons to get into the Big East? Why didn't Tulsa, another small private university, get into the Big East? The Golden Hurricane has a 34-17 in the same span in the same conference.

You might want to take a look at SMU basketball's "lack" of winning tradition too:

2011-12 SMU Mustangs men's basketball media guide

For comparison:

2011-12 UNT Mean Green men's basketball media guide.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does going to the annual banquet really count as a social function?

Let's quit pretending there is inside information. Of course we are lobbying (and so are others).

The first thing that has to happen is they have to decide is the merger will be for all sports, then they have to decide if they will let Hawaii in for Olympic sports. These two issues have to be resolved before they can figure out what program(s) to add.

• Upvote 3

Does going to the annual banquet really count as a social function?

Let's quit pretending there is inside information. Of course we are lobbying (and so are others).

The first thing that has to happen is they have to decide is the merger will be for all sports, then they have to decide if they will let Hawaii in for Olympic sports. These two issues have to be resolved before they can figure out what program(s) to add.

i missed the banquet, and have no inside information other than we are not sitting on our butts, and did not mean to imply i knew otherwise.Hawaii is in MWC football only,with all other sports in Big West. merger is up in air because ECU has outside chance as football only member in Big East since Navy is unavailable before 2014.in addition, MWC has applied for AQ status on its own, which also puts merger on hold until they get an answer.still a lot of moving parts. and yes,i certainly agree that there is a lot of lobbying for entrance into MWC and CUSA as either stand alone conferences or as a merged one. i would guess,and it is just a guess, that UNT,UTSA, and La.Tech are competeing for a western slot in CUSA should UTEP move to MWC.