Thoughts on Where Football Realignment Might Be Headed

Harry

Thoughts on where conference realignment might be headed

10:47 PM Tue, Dec 06, 2011 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

A couple of people have asked me about where I think conference realignment is headed in the wake of the Big East finalizing its newly formed league that will include SMU and Houston in a western wing.

First off, you have to hand it to UNT for what it has done over the last couple of years. The school has drastically upgraded its facilities, highlighted by a new football stadium. Apogee is as good a place as you are going to find.

I have not had a chance to ask around yet, but where there is smoke there is fire.

And that means the idea of a Conference USA-Mountain West merger might be picking up some momentum.

Read More: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/12/thoughts-on-where-conference-r.html

Thoughts on where conference realignment might be headed

10:47 PM Tue, Dec 06, 2011 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

A couple of people have asked me about where I think conference realignment is headed in the wake of the Big East finalizing its newly formed league that will include SMU and Houston in a western wing.

First off, you have to hand it to UNT for what it has done over the last couple of years. The school has drastically upgraded its facilities, highlighted by a new football stadium. Apogee is as good a place as you are going to find.

I have not had a chance to ask around yet, but where there is smoke there is fire.

And that means the idea of a Conference USA-Mountain West merger might be picking up some momentum.

Read More: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2011/12/thoughts-on-where-conference-r.html

If this happens and we are left out the Sunbelt should form an east ,west. West UNT , Ark St, La La, La Tech, UTSA ( i know) and NM ST. ULM is out.

Unless Air Force has agreed to go to the Big East, there are 17 teams left in the two leagues. Were they included and Navy dropped?

There hasn't been an announcement yet but my understanding is that the Big East will consist of:

1. West Virginia (for two more years)

2. Louisville (for possibly the same)

3. Cincinnati

4. Rutgers

5. Connecticut

6. South Florida

7. UCF

8. Houston

9. SMU

10. Boise State

11. San Diego State

12. Navy

That would leave nine in CUSA and eight in the Mountain West...total 17 (for football; 16 for all other sports). Does that mean that the Hawaii deal is off?

Unless they are guaranteed an AQ spot this merger is even more idiotic than the Big East area which I thought took the cake. When does sanity return to the NCAA?

The (totally unsubstantiated) rumor on the CUSA board is a Mtn West - CUSA merger that included the football programs from the WAC. The WAC becomes a non-football league.

No one has explained how they could meet the requirement that all teams in a division play each other nor the the fact the super league is not going to be an AQ league if such a thing even exists in a couple of years.

If this happens and we are left out the Sunbelt should form an east ,west. West UNT , Ark St, La La, La Tech, UTSA ( i know) and NM ST. ULM is out.

The Belt will never force ULM out. we needed them as much as they needed us when the Belt added football.best suggestion i read was posted on Sunbelt Fan Forum, and the suggestion was to bring La. Tech,Tx. ST.,UTSA, and NMSU for all sports and UTSA for basketball and all other sports to balance UALR. you would have 14 schools for all sports,plus 2 for basketball and all other sports and could easily create East/West Divisions. However, i still think we will end up in CUSA, as i can't believe the newly merged MWC/CUSA t.v. partner would not want a presence in DFW,San Antonio, or the state of Florida.just an old man's opinion.

The Belt will never force ULM out. we needed them as much as they needed us when the Belt added football.best suggestion i read was posted on Sunbelt Fan Forum, and the suggestion was to bring La. Tech,Tx. ST.,UTSA, and NMSU for all sports and UTSA for basketball and all other sports to balance UALR. you would have 14 schools for all sports,plus 2 for basketball and all other sports and could easily create East/West Divisions. However, i still think we will end up in CUSA, as i can't believe the newly merged MWC/CUSA t.v. partner would not want a presence in DFW,San Antonio, or the state of Florida.just an old man's opinion.

Hey I'm with you !! How can they not have some kind of position n north Texas and Florida ??? Besides I will go back to regional competition ! UNT, UTEP, Tulsa, Rice, La Tech, Tulane ! You r not making big bucks on TV then fill the stadium ! I hope we r right if not then form a Sunbelt West. Don't gripe about Tx St, and UTSA when we play FIU and FAU ! GMG !!

I dont' know if the new M-USA will expand or not, but they have had plenty of time to deside what they need to do. They have known for some time 4 or these five schools were out. I also don't believe they will turn their back on Florida or DFW. As for Texas State and UTSA, we don't need them. We would lose credibility by alligning with these FCS move-ups. The Sun Belt is an improving conference, even more so when compared to the struggles of the WAC. If the Sun Belt does not lose any members, then I see no reason to expand. If UNT and/or other Belt teams goes to C-USA, then the Sun Belt would probably have to expand, and maybe UTSA could be concidered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The (totally unsubstantiated) rumor on the CUSA board is a Mtn West - CUSA merger that included the football programs from the WAC. The WAC becomes a non-football league.

No one has explained how they could meet the requirement that all teams in a division play each other nor the the fact the super league is not going to be an AQ league if such a thing even exists in a couple of years.

no one in th MWC wants Idaho,NMSU,LA. Tech,UTSA, or TX.ST. they might consider SJSU and Utah ST., but this merger is certainly not about saving WAC football programs.

• Upvote 1

If we are frozen out of CUSA or the Mountain West, we can thank the stretch from 2005-2010 that left as as the laughing stock of college football. 2 more wins this year (ya, I know that would have been asking a lot) and maybe perception of this prgram gets turned around enough (only if we had gotten a bowl bid) to land a spot in CUSA or the Mountain West.

I don't think the merger happens. Just too cumbersome with no promise of a BCS bid.

I football hate Todd Dodge so, so, so, so much right now.

• Upvote 5

If we are frozen out of CUSA or the Mountain West, we can thank the stretch from 2005-2010 that left as as the laughing stock of college football. 2 more wins this year (ya, I know that would have been asking a lot) and maybe perception of this prgram gets turned around enough (only if we had gotten a bowl bid) to land a spot in CUSA or the Mountain West.

I don't think the merger happens. Just too cumbersome with no promise of a BCS bid.

I football hate Todd Dodge so, so, so, so much right now.

See, to me, the 2001-2004 years don't help either. We won 26 SBC games in a row, went to 4 straight NO Bowls, and saw our attendance jump all the way up to...15k-18k, which is basically where it has remained no matter how good or bad we have been. I think we would be a good fit for CUSA, but it seems that we have no one in the conference that feels the same way I do. That's what apathy amongst everything attached to your university will do to you, unfortunately.

See, to me, the 2001-2004 years don't help either. We won 26 SBC games in a row, went to 4 straight NO Bowls, and saw our attendance jump all the way up to...15k-18k, which is basically where it has remained no matter ho w good or bad we have been. I think we would be a good fit for CUSA, but it seems that we have no one in the conference that feels the same way I do. That's what apathy amongst everything attached to your university will do to you, unfortunately.

The problem with your statement is that there has been nothing on the field to hang your hat on since 2004. On the field performance hasn't even shown a pulse until Mac got here.

No way to know how we would have progressed attendance wise with continued winning plus adding everything else as far as our facilities and coaching salaries are concerned.

• Upvote 2

The problem with your statement is that there has been nothing on the field to hang your hat on since 2004. On the field performance hasn't even shown a pulse until Mac got here.

No way to know how we would have progressed attendance wise with continued winning plus adding everything else as far as our facilities and coaching salaries are concerned.

The only pulse we showed was the season opening win against Ball St in 2009. The Ohio game had really good attendance for a monsoon game. The next 2 home games were MTSU and FAU. Over 22k showed up for MTSU only to leave at the half with UNT down 30-7. Over 23k showed up for FAU, only to wach a 13 point 1st qtr lead evaporate as FAU scored 30 second qtr points.

Give this fan base something, anything to be excited about and your average attendance will jump to the low 20k area.

Pull off a win against a team that matters (Kansas St. Or LSU next year) and watch the spike in attendance you have for the following home game.

For a fan base that has had one moment (Ball St) of excitement since 2004, attendance is doing pretty well.

• Upvote 4

The only pulse we showed was the season opening win against Ball St in 2009. The Ohio game had really good attendance for a monsoon game. The next 2 home games were MTSU and FAU. Over 22k showed up for MTSU only to leave at the half with UNT down 30-7. Over 23k showed up for FAU, only to wach a 13 point 1st qtr lead evaporate as FAU scored 30 second qtr points.

Give this fan base something, anything to be excited about and your average attendance will jump to the low 20k area.

Pull off a win against a team that matters (Kansas St. Or LSU next year) and watch the spike in attendance you have for the following home game.

For a fan base that has had one moment (Ball St) of excitement since 2004, attendance is doing pretty well.

Agree.

I've posted it here before, but in a conversation that I had a while back with a good friend who is in DFW sports media, when UNT comes up, the belief amongst the media here is that the only way we will ever gain any traction with the fans and the media is that we have to win the SBC AND beat a ranked AQ team. Basically, copy what TCU did from 1998 through today. If that doesn't do the trick and we see an increase in fandom, then it just isn't meant to be here at UNT.

I've posted it here before, but in a conversation that I had a while back with a good friend who is in DFW sports media, when UNT comes up, the belief amongst the media here is that the only way we will ever gain any traction with the fans and the media is that we have to win the SBC AND beat a ranked AQ team. Basically, copy what TCU did from 1998 through today. If that doesn't do the trick and we see an increase in fandom, then it just isn't meant to be here at UNT.

We are not TCU. Get every student attending TCU to go to a game, And you got 5,000 fans in the stands. Get every UNT student to go to a game, and you got a sellout.

I do agree that we need a signature win, and I don't even think a win over K St. is an absolute signature win. Maybe if both programs continue in their current direction, we can hope for something special in Austin in 2014 (or is it 2013).

• Upvote 2

We are not TCU. Get every student attending TCU to go to a game, And you got 5,000 fans in the stands. Get every UNT student to go to a game, and you got a sellout.

I do agree that we need a signature win, and I don't even think a win over K St. is an absolute signature win. Maybe if both programs continue in their current direction, we can hope for something special in Austin in 2014 (or is it 2013).

So.....are we bringing our own refs? Cause I can think of a couple of guys that don't deserve to take another breath in life.

See, to me, the 2001-2004 years don't help either. We won 26 SBC games in a row, went to 4 straight NO Bowls, and saw our attendance jump all the way up to...15k-18k, which is basically where it has remained no matter how good or bad we have been. I think we would be a good fit for CUSA, but it seems that we have no one in the conference that feels the same way I do. That's what apathy amongst everything attached to your university will do to you, unfortunately.

Umm...2001-2004 years grew the fan base and set the stage for the capital campaign for the new stadium possible. And to be fair TD made a good spokesperson for the new stadium.

• Upvote 3

Unless Air Force has agreed to go to the Big East, there are 17 teams left in the two leagues. Were they included and Navy dropped?

There hasn't been an announcement yet but my understanding is that the Big East will consist of:

1. West Virginia (for two more years)

2. Louisville (for possibly the same)

3. Cincinnati

4. Rutgers

5. Connecticut

6. South Florida

7. UCF

8. Houston

9. SMU

10. Boise State

11. San Diego State

12. Navy

That would leave nine in CUSA and eight in the Mountain West...total 17 (for football; 16 for all other sports). Does that mean that the Hawaii deal is off?

Unless they are guaranteed an AQ spot this merger is even more idiotic than the Big East area which I thought took the cake. When does sanity return to the NCAA?

W.V.,Pitt,and Syracuse in Big East thru 2012,Navy not moving to Big East,Hawaii to MWC football only,UTEP from CUSA to MWC. leaves 9 in MWC, 8 in CUSA,for same total of 17 for football, 16 all other. kicker is that Big East will still need 2 more football programs to get to stated goal of 12,and ECU is in the mix along with Temple. MWV/CUSA merger will happen but all players not yet identified. i still think UNT and F_U could be considered as soon as CUSA gets final head count of members going forward.