BIG EAST is set

mgfan

if june jones leaves smu, kevin sumlin leaves houston...those teams could dramatically regress in their recent football succes...it'd be kinda funny if the big east/west/south/north conference lost it's aq status...

Why SDSU?

BYU didn't want to join (issues with their TV deal) so the Big East needed another western team to convince Boise to join. Boise, SDSU and AF are football only members. For football there will be western division of Big East. It'll have BSU, AF, SDSU, SMU, Houston and probably Louisville.

SDSU and Boise are just football members. Travel is just once week and only about 6 times a year. This travel expenses stuff all evens out at the end. I remember not to long ago SDSU was pretty doggone bad in football. In just a few years they get into an AQ conference. Good for all of them tho.

As for the the Big East name...who really cares about the name of the conference. It's just a name. They're doing whatever they can to better their conference...and yes it is for greed and what is wrong with that again? Didn't we just build an 80 million dollar stadium? And haven't we improved our overall athletics facilities the last decade or so and are still trying to do so? Surely you guys don't think it's all for charity now do you? It's all about the money...that is the reality of college athletics.

As for the the Big East name...who really cares about the name of the conference. It's just a name.

The name's more than that. It's the regional cohesion and well-established reputation of a 32-year old conference that got AQ status because of the caliber of the football it was playing. Making a joke out of their name by adding far-west teams just serves as a constant reminder that the Big East isn't what it used to be. When these new schools join, every school but one in the Big East joined in 1995 or later.

• Upvote 2

The name's more than that. It's the regional cohesion and well-established reputation of a 32-year old conference that got AQ status because of the caliber of the football it was playing. Making a joke out of their name by adding far-west teams just serves as a constant reminder that the Big East isn't what it used to be. When these new schools join, every school but one in the Big East joined in 1995 or later.

I get what it means or what its supposed to mean but times change...things evolve...its really no big deal in my honest opinion. It's not like every school in the BE are just 2 hours from each other. Traveling from NY to Tampa isn't all that close...they're in the same time zone but not region. Things change and evolves over time...I think people make it a bigger deal than what it really is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why SDSU?

News Corp is launching "FOX Sports San Diego" and has been pushing for the Aztec's inclusion in an AQ conference. On behalf of SDSU, News Corp even send a request to David L. Boren, President of the University of Oklahoma, to sponsor their application into the Big 12 prior to the acceptance of TCU and West Virginia.

VIA ESPN BSU, SDSU, UH, SMU, and UCF are all headed to the big east in the 2013. this brings us one step closer to getting out of the sunbelt if MWC or CUSA decides to expand.

they also expect AFA and Navy to join for football only after the 1st of year, with ECU as back up. when the smoke clears,CUSA will be down to 9 members for sure, and maybe 8. MWC will be down to 8 members for sure, and maybe 7. i like our position.

• Upvote 1

SDSU hopes to put their's in the Big West, thereby spanning the nation. Boise was looking at Big Sky.AFA wanted the Missouri Valley, but were rebuffed, and are still looking for a place to land.

Heh. Even the Big West told Boise to go shove it in their hats. The only way they're getting in is with an exorbitant exit fee clause. They spent a couple years in the Big West as transients in a football halfway house, and crapped all over the conference when they left.

I don't know how or why North Texas entered or left the Big West, so I absolutely don't mean to paint with broad strokes. I'm thinking of specific actions and words from Boise early in the decade.

• Upvote 1