Canales name mentioned for UAB

ValleyBoy

The search is expected to focus on younger assistant coaches or coordinators at the FBS level, such as Houston offensive coordinator Jason Phillips, Oregon secondary coach John Neal, Tennessee defensive line coach Lance Thompson and North Texas offensive coordinator Mike Canales. It could also focus on head coaches at lower level programs such as Georgia Southern's Jeff Monken, West Alabama's Will Hall or Murray State's Chris Hatcher.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/uab_begins_search_for_a_new_fo.html

The search is expected to focus on younger assistant coaches or coordinators at the FBS level, such as Houston offensive coordinator Jason Phillips, Oregon secondary coach John Neal, Tennessee defensive line coach Lance Thompson and North Texas offensive coordinator Mike Canales. It could also focus on head coaches at lower level programs such as Georgia Southern's Jeff Monken, West Alabama's Will Hall or Murray State's Chris Hatcher.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/uab_begins_search_for_a_new_fo.html

Will ANYBODY want this job?

It's a program that's walking the green mile as we speak.

I do not want to see Coach C go anywhere. If he has to move on to fulfill his desire to run his own program, we would all want him to go to a good situation. UAB ain't it!! :thumbsd:

• Upvote 1

Not a chance.

A losing overall record in the Sun Belt conference doesn't get the head coach, much less a coordinator, a FBS college football head coaching offer, even at UAB.

Much more concerned about losing Bowen to a higher profile DC position, although I don't think it happens until after next year.

Edited by UNT90

Well, I certainly hope to see Coach Canales here next season. However, he certainly desires a HC position. So, if he gets one this year I will wish him well and hope that UNT finds an even better new OC. However, I think Coach C might just want to stay and help the turn around continue to at least get a winning year or two before moving on...who knows, but the guy is good and seems ready for the next step. I agree however, that it needs to be a good opportunity...not sure UAB is that "good opportunity".

BUT....some may have said that about UNT when Coach mac decided to come....it is what you make out of it. Coach mac is making "good things happen" for UNT and Coach C is his OC...we'll see where that leads...

In the meantime...let's get to 7-5 this year! BEAT MT!!!!

Will ANYBODY want this job?

It's a program that's walking the green mile as we speak.

It's still an FBS head coaching job in a region that does have quite a bit of talent. Plus coaches always have the mindset/ego that they can be the ones to turn things around and get back on track regardless of program. Based on what I've read and heard it seemed that Chico will do anything to get his break so to speak and become a HC. He'd take that job in a heartbeat as would most coaches. Tho I don't think he'll get considered.

Maybe MizzouTigers will show up on their board too and trumpet the "Jim Leavitt is the only guy you can possibly hire or else you are really just stupid" theme again. I mean, really, how did Jim Leavitt not get hired anywhere last year? MizzouTigers told us he was the best coach since Bear Bryant...surely he will get hired this go around, right?

• Upvote 2

Not a chance.

A losing overall record in the Sun Belt conference doesn't get the head coach, much less a coordinator, a FBS college football head coaching offer, even at UAB.

Much more concerned about losing Bowen to a higher profile DC position, although I don't think it happens until after next year.

I don't want to lose Bowen either but if we must let it be this year when Skladany is an option. Somehow, I don't feel that he would jump unless it's to Kansas (or another Big 12 school). I just wish that we could hire Skladany as the DL coach and move him up when Bowen eventually leaves (hopefully to take a head coaching job).

Maybe MizzouTigers will show up on their board too and trumpet the "Jim Leavitt is the only guy you can possibly hire or else you are really just stupid" theme again. I mean, really, how did Jim Leavitt not get hired anywhere last year? MizzouTigers told us he was the best coach since Bear Bryant...surely he will get hired this go around, right?

He's the linebackers coach for the 49ers. My guess is he won't be grabbing any of the NFL players by the throat and slapping them at halftime. Or...being in such close proximity and gesticulating so wildly that he could be mistaken for doing so.