BREAKING: NYTimes: Paterno is Out

UNTflyer

Really? The football program will be feeling the repercussions of this for a long time to come, but there is no way this "ruins" one of the top universities in the country. As twisted as what Sandusky did is, there are other college campuses that have also had faculty members guilty of sexual abuse. And while it undeniably leaves a black mark, it has not "ruined" the universities where those faculty members were employed.

I don't think you get it. It absolutely ruins Penn St. for the next 10 years, not because there was a sex offender employed by the university, but because university officials protected that sex offender while he continued to molest children on university property. Is that the type of institution you would trust with your child?

This will be 20 times as big as it is right now before it is over, and Penn St. will be changed for at least the next 10 years. At least.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but didn't people say that about Baylor a few years ago? They rebounded pretty quickly.

A little different circumstances. No children involved, no administrators indicted, cover up didn't continue while additional murders occurred.

Maybe 'm wrong (I know, big shock), but I'd bet this has long and far reaching effects on Penn St.

And if anyone thinks that this is an isolated institutional incident, I would direct your attention to recent happenings (the last ten years...or more) with the Catholic church.

Why in the hell would you even bring this up?...unless you just want to take shots at the Catholic Church. Trust me, it happens with all denominations...the problem is, the perp will just go down to the next shopping strip and open a new church with no accountability. Regardless of who commits the crime, it's disgusting, but please don't single out the Catholic Church, unbelievable.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

First off what happened was awful. But the NCAA has absolutely zero authority to penalize Penn State. The things that happened did not involve student athletes or the football program as it relates to the NCAA. This was coaches and administrators legally and morally fing up period. Mark my words there will be zero sanctions by the NCAA and that is a good thing. The NCAA has no business sanctioning over criminal matters that don't involve the program on the field.

I disagree the NCAA has a code of conduct for the college coaches. This happened with the knowledge of the head coach and an assistant coach ,unfortunately u could label this as an ongoing criminal enterprise, as we all know with this type of pervert they never rehabilitated . The crime also took place at the athletic facilities with their knowledge.

Also I believe the father of McQuery has committed a crime by not reporting.

The legal problems for Penn State the university will b huge . U have now rolled the admin into the ongoing criminal enterprise !

I don't mean to be a jerk, but didn't people say that about Baylor a few years ago? They rebounded pretty quickly.

The Baylor athletic department did not protect Dave Bliss. And unlike in the case of Penn State, the young coach who knew what happened at Baylor went to the police. Unfortunately for that young coach, he was fired by Bliss' replacement and didn't find work for a while. I don't know if he ever found another basketball coaching job.

The Penn State University administration did not report a crime the knew happened. The young coach at Penn State who kept silent was given a full time job in 2003 which he still holds.

Even though this looks damning as all hell, I must agree. Duke Lacrosse as example 1A.

Well at least here this evidence is coming out after a grand jury has returned indictments and there are lots more witnesses in this case. I understand what you are saying, but it appears that there is a lot more to go on with this case.

I don't think you get it. It absolutely ruins Penn St. for the next 10 years, not because there was a sex offender employed by the university, but because university officials protected that sex offender while he continued to molest children on university property. Is that the type of institution you would trust with your child?

This will be 20 times as big as it is right now before it is over, and Penn St. will be changed for at least the next 10 years. At least.

Maybe you need to define "ruined," because I don't consider an institution "ruined" that will continue operations for the next 10 years.

People said it about Miami a few MONTHS ago. Remember all the "Death Penalty! Now or Never!" talk that was all over national media?? The Canes were going to shut down football!! Institutional failure!!!!

yeah. How'd that work out? A couple guys missed a game or two, and we've kinda forgotten about it all.

... it's a horrendous situation, but I wouldn't expect many lasting effects to the PSU program. They clean house, a new young coach/AD/staff comes in vowing to "Restore Penn State!" and everyone buys in... hell, it's even a feelgood story in less than a year. I see no reason to believe otherwise, right or wrong.

• Upvote 1

Well at least here this evidence is coming out after a grand jury has returned indictments and there are lots more witnesses in this case. I understand what you are saying, but it appears that there is a lot more to go on with this case.

I was more meaning knee jerking in regards to Paterno's culpability, not Sandusky's guilt.

Why in the hell would you even bring this up?...unless you just want to take shots at the Catholic Church. Trust me, it happens with all denominations...the problem is, the perp will just go down to the next shopping strip and open a new church with no accountability. Regardless of who commits the crime, it's disgusting, but please don't single out the Catholic Church, unbelievable.

I bring it up, because when the first reports of sexual abuse by Priests came out, many people believed (or wanted to believe) that it was an isolated incident and that it wasn't happening anywhere else.

My point is that if anyone thinks that this sort of thing (sexual abuse and the subsequent cover up) is isolated to one school (Penn State), they need to remember that the same delusional thinking took place when the Priest scandal first broke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe you need to define "ruined," because I don't consider an institution "ruined" that will continue operations for the next 10 years.

Obviously a state university isnt going anywhere.

Donations will fall off a cliff, both academically and athletically. The football team will be a shell of itself, regulated to the bottom of the Big 10 for years to come. Future freshmen enrollment will be affected. All of Penn St. athletics will be affected in a negative way, from financing to recruiting to performance.

Just listen to Alums like Lavar Arrington who use words like "betrayed" to describe how he feels about Penn St. This is going to make Penn St. a shell of the university it used to be in so many ways.

This scandal is far from over. With these 8 boys bringing this to light, you can expect 10-20 more vicitms to come forward. This is the biggest scandal, by far, to ever hit college athletics, and will scar Penn St. for decades to come.

Side note: Penn St. students rallying in front of Joe Pa's house in support is just sickening. If this is big time college athletics, I hope we never make it to that level.

Edited by UNT90

I agree with Caribbeangreen. They weather this and a year from now it's a footnote. JoePa may have changed Penn State, but Penn State is still bigger and will survive. It may cost a fortune in damage control, but they will pull through.

Next week, Lindsay Lohan will crash her car into Kim Kardashian at the Playboy Mansion nudie alumni reunion, and the country will have its next sensation to fixate on.

I bring it up, because when the first reports of sexual abuse by Priests came out, many people believed (or wanted to believe) that it was an isolated incident and that it wasn't happening anywhere else.

My point is that if anyone thinks that this sort of thing (sexual abuse and the subsequent cover up) is isolated to one school (Penn State), they need to remember that the same delusional thinking took place when the Priest scandal first broke.

Yeah, but the difference here is that this guy appears to clearly be a maniacal serial pedophile, and from what we've heard, the administration had years to figure out that there was something really insane going on here. And yes, several priests fell into that category as well, but not many were so blatant as to be BF'ing little kids in open shower rooms.

This nut obviously wanted to be caught for some sick reason, and how the powers that be let this go on unfettered for years is beyond belief. Anyone with knowledge of this should be fried, because they are complicit in ruining the lives of no telling how many kids.

I wouldn't be surprised if this trail of tears goes back many decades, because I kind of doubt that he just picked up his lunatic habits after he started getting up into his 50's. Of course he could be completely innocent, and this is just some well planned charade, set up by some billionaire alum who hates this person with every fiber of his being for being benched by his former defensive coordinator?

Maybe everyone was paid off to lie their butts off? Then again, maybe not.

The comments at his "rally" tonight were sickening and disgusting.

http://deadspin.com/5857689/a-weeping-joe-paterno-just-spoke-to-students-gathered-outside-his-living-room-window

It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right.

Next week, Lindsay Lohan will crash her car into Kim Kardashian at the Playboy Mansion nudie alumni reunion, and the country will have its next sensation to fixate on.

Uh, no. The Penn State story is so far beyond the celebrity news cycle, those comparisons just won't wash. Sure, Penn State will survive as an institution, but will be seen as having sunk to a level so far below those schools cited for actual football related infractions, they they won't be the same school again. Those involved in this in any way as victims and family will never be the same; those who were the perpetrators and their protectors will only have their family members seen as deserving any sympathy by those not blinded by school loyalty.

Uh, no. The Penn State story is so far beyond the celebrity news cycle, those comparisons just won't wash. Sure, Penn State will survive as an institution, but will be seen as having sunk to a level so far below those schools cited for actual football related infractions, they they won't be the same school again. Those involved in this in any way as victims and family will never be the same; those who were the perpetrators and their protectors will only have their family members seen as deserving any sympathy by those not blinded by school loyalty.

Agree. This thing is just beginning.

Just heard a news report that the victim count has more than doubled since the grand jury indictments were unsealed. I don't think anyone at Penn St. survives this, from the President on down.

If the comments posted by Quoner are accurate, it's no wonder the school cancelled the press conference yesterday. Just mind boggling.