It's not just us

emmitt01

As much as it pains me to say it, being a native Dentonite, I don't think Denton will always be a non-supportive city. I'm sitting here at the Denton Ryan/Denton game and they're not coming out in droves for this game either. I'm talking to a nice lady who works here at C.H. Collins and she was just relating to me that this game doesn't often draw near what this stadium holds....in fact I bought a reserved seat on row 14 and she told me "just sit anywhere, nobody will be fighting over seats."

As an aside she told me that Denton High doesn't like playing at C.H. Collins. Apparently they prefer to play at their on campus field. So this stadium that Denton was so hell-bent on building all for themselves...and not building cooperatively with North Texas...sits empty when DHS plays at home.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I truly believe when we get the Green training rolling people are going to show up in droves for a great Apogee college football experience. When we won in the past we did not have the facilities we have today. Add in a more regional conference and some recognized foes and we will continue to grow the attendance. People will know us yet.

On the plane this week the flight attendant said, "I love that stuff!" I looked at her with a puzzled look and she stated, "Mean Green" referring to my shirt. I giggled and said, yes I love the stuff too. Granted she was nice, but she also looked like she was straight off the Dallas Most Eligible show. But I thought WOW do we have a ways to go:)

GMG

I agree Comet. I remember when we were winning pre-Jones and SMU was in a very rough place. Look at them now after that successful hire. I was living in Hawaii at the time during the Colt Brennan years. As soon as JJ finds a Colt for the Ponies, top 10 here you all come.

I like the fact Coach M hates losing because that is already dripping down into the locker room. When he gets his players in there we will be knocking on the door of 7 - 10 win seasons. It is coming.

GMG

As an aside she told me that Denton High doesn't like playing at C.H. Collins. Apparently they prefer to play at their on campus field. So this stadium that Denton was so hell-bent on building all for themselves...and not building cooperatively with North Texas...sits empty when DHS plays at home.

I attended Denton High as a freshman and soph when it was the only high school in town. They didn't fill the campus stands back then either. I think it was more a culture thing and lack of interest by the town and students to not go to the games.

I moved back to Plano to finish high school, also a one HS town then (and in Denton's district), and those games were all SRO. Everyone went, home or away, every week. I think that was also due to past culture and expectations and winning consistently.

Win and people win come to see the mg.

I realize your quip was for the Mean Green, but since Emmitt’s analogy was Denton supporting football programs then your statement of win and people will come is flawed. Denton Ryan has won 22 of its last 23 games their only loss during that span was the state championship game. They are winning but for some reason the fans are still not coming.

They were completing with the UNT Homecoming activities maybe they should have moved the game up a couple of hours.

• Upvote 2

As much as it pains me to say it, being a native Dentonite, I don't think Denton will always be a non-supportive city. I'm sitting here at the Denton Ryan/Denton game and they're not coming out in droves for this game either. I'm talking to a nice lady who works here at C.H. Collins and she was just relating to me that this game doesn't often draw near what this stadium holds....in fact I bought a reserved seat on row 14 and she told me "just sit anywhere, nobody will be fighting over seats."

I was at the Denton vs. Ryan Game too and the attendance was awful. Ryan had alot more than Denton. I just thought everyone was at the fair.

We have like 6,000-7,000 undergrads. If you guys were to string 5 winning seasons together, you'll start selling out consistently.

Maybe, but I don't think it's a sure thing like a lot of people do. Sure, we'd average around 24K a game if that happened, but unless we get a major conference upgrade I don't see us selling out on a consistent basis.

Ryan vs. Guyer will draw a load more than this game. There are two big time HS programs in Denton, and the Broncs ain't one of 'em right now. They just don't draw like the other two, and they don't have the support.

Then explain why Ryan doesn't draw. ESPN's #1 recruit in the country, undefeated, and still not drawing like they should. It truly is a Denton thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

sadly, people are just tired of seeing DHS get railroaded every year for the past decade by Ryan. This game hasn't even been close to a contest since the 90's.

in the playoffs a couple years ago, they had to bring in extra end-zone bleachers for Ryan vs Guyer. anyone that cared about sports in Denton packed that place and the weather didnt matter. i remember being wrapped in a blanket with my wife and brother for 4 freezing quarters and not once considering how awkward that was.

you would also be amazed at how much of Denton shows up to Cowboys Stadium high school playoff games. The championship games last year featuring Ryan and Guyer filled plenty of sections.

if a team competes in this town and there is something on the line... get ready for some crowds at apogee someday

sadly, people are just tired of seeing DHS get railroaded every year for the past decade by Ryan. This game hasn't even been close to a contest since the 90's.

in the playoffs a couple years ago, they had to bring in extra end-zone bleachers for Ryan vs Guyer. anyone that cared about sports in Denton packed that place and the weather didnt matter. i remember being wrapped in a blanket with my wife and brother for 4 freezing quarters and not once considering how awkward that was.

you would also be amazed at how much of Denton shows up to Cowboys Stadium high school playoff games. The championship games last year featuring Ryan and Guyer filled plenty of sections.

if a team competes in this town and there is something on the line... get ready for some crowds at apogee someday

Yup. Ryan/Guyer draws as well as most any HS game in the metroplex. Entering Denton city limits doesn't fundamentally change folks THAT much.

I have always wondered why attendance at UNT games by the broader Denton community is seen as such a big deal. I'm a big sports fan but have never attended a Denton high school football game. I didn't go to an area high school, don't have kids who go to any of the schools, and don't really have any connection to the schools. For the high schools to draw a crowd, they have to draw fans like me from the wider community who are unconnected to the schools. UNT has over 35,000 students, thousands of faculty and staff, and hordes of alums in the DFW area. That should be enough to fill the student regardless of whether or not Joe Denton Fan decides to attend UNT games or not. I think that the key for UNT is to market to our students and turn them into passionate fans while they are students. That will keep them connected long after they graduate. I think that UNT has made big strides in this direction and I think that is the key to the future above all else.

• Upvote 4

I realize your quip was for the Mean Green, but since Emmitt's analogy was Denton supporting football programs then your statement of win and people will come is flawed. Denton Ryan has won 22 of its last 23 games their only loss during that span was the state championship game. They are winning but for some reason the fans are still not coming.

They were completing with the UNT Homecoming activities maybe they should have moved the game up a couple of hours.

The flaw with this thread is we're talking about high school football. I realize high school football is pretty popular in this state but not very many people want to go to a high school game unless they're out in the boonies and there's literally nothing else to do. And why should people have to come to the games unless they have an interest in the game such as their kids go to that hs or their kids are playing, cheerleading etc. It's just high school football for pete's sake.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On the plane this week the flight attendant said, "I love that stuff!" I looked at her with a puzzled look and she stated, "Mean Green" referring to my shirt. I giggled and said, yes I love the stuff too. Granted she was nice, but she also looked like she was straight off the Dallas Most Eligible show. But I thought WOW do we have a ways to go:)

Was she talking about Mean Green hand cleaner?

It is not just Denton. I live in Lewisville. I did not go to Lewisville High School. I couldn't care less about Lewisville High sports. I really couldn't care less about high school sports in general.

A lot of people everywhere are the same way. If you didn't go to school there, you aren't going to follow it. The biggest supporters of high school or college sports are those who attended the school (especially high school) or have a kid playing, in the band, cheerleading, et al.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

notebook:

HS football is boring.

It really is a matter of winning. I don't know how many people are choosing schools based on the quality of the sports but I know it matters. I heard of UNT because my HS freshman science teacher had a UNT sticker on her desk. She taught Scott Hall.

When it came time to whittle the school lists "has a winning football school" was on the positive side of the ledger for UNT. I was excited about going to New Orleans bowls.

For this current crop of students? I don't know what made them sign up. It couldn't have been the prospect of facing FAU and losing by thirty. Maybe we are getting fewer sports fans?

Denton is weird. I've always said I got a weird vibe from the Born and Raised Dentonites. They have small-towny thinking and are subtly hostile to any thing UNT related. (Has to be mentioned that I only knew 20-30 yo Dentonites) They would ONLY ever go to Texas 8-ball (when that was a thing) and also had a crapload of stories aboutJarvis Moss.

That said, a lot of UNT-ers didn't interact with the city of Denton either -- other than the bars.

Also, as much as I like Kevin Roden's politics, he gets a little anti-sports sometimes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1